PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Fittings Burst

Metl
12-08-07, 04:16 PM
Okay, I was playing around in a porpoise in 1941. I dove down to crush depth, the red line. The crew would not dive past it on thier own. No matter how many times I told them to dive with the "D" key, they went about five more feet, then back up to the red line. I was trying to see exactly how deep I could go undamaged, so I set depth to 350. That did it, down we went.
At 350 we leveled off. No sign of damage, just alot of creaking and moaning. I set depth to 400ft. At 375 I valve started spraying water above my XO's head. I hit the level off key and there we stayed at 375. After a couple minutes, the leak stopped, no further damage reported. I was impressed, I didn't even know a leak was modelled there.
I decided to go a little futher. Bad decision. At 376 I had catostrophic failure. I know before v1.4 there was a set time you could stay under crush depth. Did I just reach that time or have they changed the damage modelling? I was under crush for probably about 30 minutes, I should have kept better time. one more thing, when everything started leaking, half my crew lost thier shirts! I don't thing it was a glitch as they had hairy chests modelled underneath!

patched to 1.4
Current running mods:
Hamilton Chrono Night Attack
GreenLamp
Dark Recognitionmanual
Kosh Reduced Floaters Apr 28
Night Vis Level 2
SH4 Realistic Battery Life
Sub Speeds
Taihosan Maru Fix (Jace11)
betterscopes worn_SmChrono_Nomograph_14
FooBor's PORPOISE MINOR WTH HI-RES V1.0

AVGWarhawk
12-08-07, 05:11 PM
Crew will dis-robe after a while submerged. Crush depth, I believe you can hang there for a while but your hull integrity slowly diminishes. If not watched implosion will happen.

Metl
12-08-07, 05:53 PM
I kept a close eye on my hull% to see if it was an all-or-nothing thing. It never went up unitil it was too late.

manucapo
12-08-07, 07:19 PM
once the leaking and light flickering starts,
it isnt necesary for you to go lower , because your crush depth will slowly decrease
until your below it and then you will die
so once you start to see damage, that means YOU ARE IN THE DANGER ZONE and you MUST get ouy.

-Pv-
12-08-07, 07:35 PM
I'm unaware of any "set time" you can get away with anything risky. The game is designed so this will always be an unknown until you cross the invisible line in the sand. You know the line is there, you may realize you've corssed it at some point, but every sub and crew have their own unique signature. Once you are aware your sub is starting to suffer, you have a very narrow window to get yourself out. Even if you manage to get back above rated crush, you are still under a lot of pressure being placed on compromised systems for an extended time. You can still fail to make it to the surface, and once there, be unable to submerge to a safe (evasive) depth again. You play with the tiger's tail and you will eventually get bit.

It's easy to get into the trap of thinking if I can just go deep enough, long enough I can always get myself out of any situation. The game has been purposely coded to make this kind of thinking fail.
-Pv-

Metl
12-09-07, 05:35 PM
Yes but before 1.4 it always seemed instant, no warning signs. I was just curious if they changed something. I might have just missed it before.

Fincuan
12-10-07, 06:02 AM
The lights flickering and leaking has been there at least since 1.3. In a damaged sub you might get harmless "hollywood" leaks even on the surface, but the lights flickering is always a sign of trouble. It's not a bad practice to actually hit the emergency surface button once it starts, since the boat always takes a moment, usually a bit too long, to stop if you hit "level off".