PDA

View Full Version : ASUS VW222U colour banding problem

TarJak
12-06-07, 12:56 AM
I bought one of these 22" LCD monitors the other day and after a bit of researching and tweaking, managed to get it set up reasonably, running in native 1680x1050 resolution @ 32 bits per pixel, until I ran SHIII with and saw the night scenes and this is where the problem lies.

The colour gradients are all banded very noticably. What I'm seeing looks more like the image on the left What I'm used to with my CRT is what it looks like on the right of this image:
http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/F2255489-1544-8C92-49FBAC3658DD3FE5.JPG

I've got a Nvidia GF 7900GS which has two CVI ports and I'm using the DVI cable that came with the monitor on one and am still running the old CRT via a VGA adapter out of the other one.

My nvidia 3D settings are maxed out 16x AF and 4xAA, Supersampling, Triple buffering and Trilinear filtering all on. I'm running the latest nvidia driver set. These where the settings that I ran using just the CRT.

I tried dialing the 3D settings back and no dice still the same banding. I've also seen it happening in dark scenes on DVD's/movies so it's not just the 3D rendering thats a problem.

I've hooked up my old CRT and the same game and movies work fine with the same settings but using a VGA cable, so I'm starting to think it might be the screen.

Just hoping someone can assist as I assume it is either a settings thing or the monitor is simply crap and I need to go back to just using my trusty old 19" CRT.

Does anyone know what settings can be used to reduce or remove the banding?

Fenris_Wolf
12-06-07, 04:30 AM
- Tweak the LCD monitor settings from the menu that should be accessible by pushing a button on the monitor. Go to the "Color Control" menu and make sure you have the correct one selected.

- Make sure you have downloaded the drivers for your LCD from asus website. Use the correct monitor timing from the Nvidia control panel if it doesn't adjust it automatically. http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=VW222U

- Try to see if the monitor gives the same problem with a DVI cable and then the VGA cable without having the old CRT connected to the graphics card. Try a different DVI cable if possible.

Also please post a ingame screenshot of the problem. Can it be that the banding is more noticeable because the new screen is much larger and clearer?

danlisa
12-06-07, 04:34 AM
You might be able to minimise the banding but it will always be there on LCD monitors. CRT's have superior image quality over LCD's.

It's not just night time either, wait until you go deep.;)

TarJak
12-06-07, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It may be but if I play it with the CRT there is definiately no banding. It is a smooth colour progression as per the diagram above whilst the. I'll post a screenie as soon as I can sort one out.

Fenris_Wolf
12-06-07, 04:43 AM
Btw, there is also a "game mode" display setting somewhere in the windows or Nvidia display control panel (can't check since I'm at work right now). What it does is that it makes the colors and contrast more "vibrant" or illuminous. If you check within a DVD player software like WinDVD there is always a different image and color setting for LCDs and different one for CRT type monitors. Choosing the right one is essential. That said, ever since I've moved to a Viewsonic LCD screen I've noticed that the image is much crispier, clear/focused and steady with no banding problems.

Stierlitz
12-06-07, 05:19 AM
Yup, and this is why I'll stay with CRT monitors for as long as I can... :88)

Jonathan
12-06-07, 12:56 PM
Maybe your game was not meant to run at the resolution you are running it at, and that has lead to the game/monitor giving you weird signals? alas, I think that it has to do more with being an lcd and a crt than it does with anything else...:nope:

TarJak
12-06-07, 03:00 PM
You may be right Jonathan. When I take a screenshot of the banding, it doesn't look as badly banded. :doh: When I look at the screenie on the CRT it looks they way I'm used to seeing it.

Guess I'll just have to put up with the newer "better" technology to enjoy widescreen for my other entertainment.:roll:

VipertheSniper
12-06-07, 03:06 PM
You may be right Jonathan. When I take a screenshot of the banding, it doesn't look as badly banded. :doh: When I look at the screenie on the CRT it looks they way I'm used to seeing it.

Guess I'll just have to put up with the newer "better" technology to enjoy widescreen for my other entertainment.:roll:

Of course it looks fine with the CRT, you would have to make a photo of the LCD showing the color banding, since the screenshot is taking in the graphics card so to say, and that has nothing to do with how the image gets displayed on screen.

BTW: I also had the color banding on my CRT, but not as noticable as on my LCD

locher
12-06-07, 05:48 PM
ive got the same monitor with the same problem, only i notice the banding when i'm using the external camera underwater.

i just tried updating my driver from "analog" to "digital"

we'll see how it goes

good hunting

TarJak
12-09-07, 06:13 AM
Got it sorted. What fixed it was replacing the nvidia drivers with the latest. During the installation and restart the monitor resynchronised with the card and it's working much the way I expected it to out of the box.

I'd already tried the monitor drivers and other tweaks but this was what fixed it for me.

locher
12-09-07, 10:14 AM
which driver did you use?

TarJak
12-09-07, 07:12 PM
Sorry I'm at work and can't remember the version number, but I just went nvidia.com and used their automatic update feature that works out what graphics card you have and downloads and installs the latest version of the drivers. I'm using a GF 7900GS 256MB card.nvidia.

Go here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Then select option 2 to automatically find the drivers. If that doesn't work use Option 1 to find the right driver for your card.