PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Shyzar
12-01-07, 10:45 PM
I just recently started playing TM 1.7. But one thing I want to know is if in TM, do destroyers drop DCs without having a constant sonar contact?

The reason I ask is that since I reinstalled and patched to 1.4, all destroyers are constantly doing the drop DC animation (the DCs rolling off the racks) they constantly do that, but they don't actually drop them. I attacked a convoy, and a DD was getting brief sonar contacts, but no DCs were dropped.

What I want to know is if I have a bug that prevent DCs being dropped on me? I would assume an animation wouldn't cause that, but I'm just making sure.

Peto
12-01-07, 11:38 PM
Is this happening in Single Missions?

Shyzar
12-02-07, 01:45 AM
No, career.

Peto
12-02-07, 02:16 AM
Strange. I haven't seen that in career but I did have the problem in a couple single missions... I'd probably uninstall/reinstall if you don't get better info. It does seem that I saw someone else talking abut this though. Maybe in the Post Patch thread? If I find it I'll post back here and let you know. Sorry I can't offer you better than that at the moment...

Shyzar
12-02-07, 10:54 AM
I'm going to check in game if the DDs drop DCs. If they don't I'll reinstall.

Shyzar
12-02-07, 11:27 AM
I can confirm that the DDs do not drop DCs. I was going Flank speed at 80 ft and when DD passed over, they did nothing.

I am reinstalling now.

Shyzar
12-02-07, 12:57 PM
I reinstalled, problem is still there. DDs do not drop DCs. It seems I am immune to DDs.
Some people may jump for joy when they learn DDs can't kill them, but I actually want an element of difficulty in this game so help would be very much appreciated.

Peto
12-02-07, 01:09 PM
I don't blame you. I'd be frustrated (PO'd) too. During your uninstall (getting ready for the reinstall) did you choose to delete your saved games? There may be something lurking in My Documents>SH4 folder that is causing this (a guess at this point). Maybe by deleting that folder so the game has to recreate it will help. Also, a defreag can't hurt if you haven't done that yet. Programs can do strange things if they are too fragmented.

Hang in there! There HAS to be a solution to your problem :yep:!!!!

Shyzar
12-02-07, 01:17 PM
I don't blame you. I'd be frustrated (PO'd) too. During your uninstall (getting ready for the reinstall) did you choose to delete your saved games? There may be something lurking in My Documents>SH4 folder that is causing this (a guess at this point). Maybe by deleting that folder so the game has to recreate it will help. Also, a defreag can't hurt if you haven't done that yet. Programs can do strange things if they are too fragmented.

Hang in there! There HAS to be a solution to your problem :yep:!!!!

I deleted the savegames during uninstall. And I just defraged my HD, a couple days ago. I'll try again now.

Peto
12-02-07, 01:36 PM
If you continue to have problems: maybe you should start a new thread with PROBLEM in the title. You may get more hits and more people helping you. I don't claim to really know the workings of this sim and have just scratched the surface of modding it... There are a lot of people here who know it better than I do.

Shyzar
12-02-07, 01:37 PM
I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Pv-
12-02-07, 03:56 PM
I noticed you have posted this same problem in two threads. I ansered in the OTHER thread why a particular DD didn't drop DCs on you. ALso, it's unclear if NO DDs EVER drop DCs on you or if you are basing this on one DD pass.

DD use for than one technique for finding you:
1) Bracketing area where last seen detected. If they don't know where you are at the moment, they will go to the bracketing area and starting dropping there 1st.
2) Hydrophones. DDs can hear you and approximate your location by sound only without pinging you.
3) Sonar pinging. They have to be actively pinging you and the front of the DD facing you for you to hear it. DDs who are in listining mode will not ping. They don't want you to know where they are so you won't know how to evade them.

Be careful not to judge the game based on one or two observations expecially if you are playing the game at low realism levels where the enemy is dumbed down.
-Pv-

Shyzar
12-02-07, 05:01 PM
I'm playing stock TM, and at 58% realism. And I waited at flank speed with 3 or 4 DDs making constant passes over me yet still no DCs.

Shyzar
12-02-07, 05:09 PM
Also, could a moderator close this thread, as I have two threads on the same topic. In the other topic, the title is more clear, so I would prefer using that one instead of both.