PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use an Enigma simulator?

The Butcher
11-29-07, 10:52 PM
UKW: C
Walzen: IV VIII VII
Ringstellung: W-23 D-04 T-20
Stecker: AP BJ CZ FT HO IR MX NS QV WY
Kriegsmarine M3

U51 to ? = 6 = FOD BFX =

HYRH KQGW VVIX FTEG QDUP DEJO

PavelKirilovich
11-30-07, 02:38 PM
I use the Enigma simulator but I suspect your message is improperly coded. I've had no luck decoding the message. What is the method you used for encoding the trigram? Correct procedure is to set the machine to FOD, then encode BFX. The result is the message key. Reset the machine's rotor start positions to the message key, then encode your message.

GoldenRivet
11-30-07, 02:39 PM
darn it!

uninstalled my enigma sim just abotu a week ago! :damn:

Jonathan
11-30-07, 05:36 PM
What in the world are you guys talking about?

GoldenRivet
11-30-07, 05:51 PM
This:

http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/enigmasim.htm

it is a program that emulates a German Enigma machine. (no functionality within SH3)

basically, you download and install the program and run it, you can set your rotors to someones code, and decode enigma messages from them, you can also encode your own messages and send them to your friends.

we had a thread ages ago that was all enigma coded, and the only way to read the thread was to decode the message in the enigma simulator.

i enjoyed it for a while, and may do so again, but for the time being this has run its course for me.

Oberon
11-30-07, 05:56 PM
My Enigma operator has drawn a blank with this one, is your machine set up correctly?

skookum
11-30-07, 07:18 PM
There was a thread here a while back composed almost entirely of enigma encoded conversation. Quite popular for a while as I recall. I hope future versions of Silent Hunter incorporate meaningful directives from BDU (like wolfpack vectors, etc.) since modders could then encode them with enigma for overeager Kaleuns to decipher.

Just another layer of realism.

The Butcher
11-30-07, 09:39 PM
PK et all, I started with FOD and encoded the key JDW and came up with BFX. Then I put JDW back in and typed my message. How I ended up with the string I did I have no idea. When I tried it again I came up with something completely different. Plus I added a word. See if this works.

JDDL HWOF REMZ QCWG FEDM LGWC TGJN CCHB

harryt8
11-30-07, 09:44 PM
As Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones.
He has a real one..!!

Harry;)

Oberon
12-01-07, 08:37 AM
UKW: C
Walzen: III VI I
Ringstellung: 06 15 08
Stecker: DU FO HW LS QR VB AK YG ZJ TP
Kriegsmarine M3

U35 to U51 = 6 = VEQ FGH =

DKZA HMML ZGKW RZLO GQPO VGHU YFVL HCK

:D

The Butcher
12-02-07, 03:13 PM
Kriegsmarine M3
UKW: B
Walzen: VIII VII III
Ringstellung: N-14 D-04 B-02
Stecker: AN BV CX DT FH GU JO KS PY QW

U51 to U35 = 7 = DUJ TDZ =

MSSD RHUS RNJA KIIY RAAH NXPW XSKH UIEC IKFO KBUJ

I bet they wish they had Autotyping and Clipboard.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
12-02-07, 06:00 PM
:doh:

sasquatch
12-06-07, 10:58 AM
I've got to get myself one of these...

Canovaro
12-06-07, 01:04 PM
I've encoded and decoded over 250 messages for operation spinnennetz, guess it makes me a gold user :lol:

Canovaro
12-06-07, 01:18 PM
Type: Kriegsmarine M3 - UKW = B
Walzen & Ringstellung: III (A-01), IV (E-05) and VII (X-24)
Stecker: BU CP EI GN HT LZ MX OS

- ERL HMS -

OTYK OOPY SIWI SLEG QTKH
FQAU GUKA REXV MDNK OPMB
YTGH ETSX RMJD IIFM MEJI
PECP CPVS ZGAU KHOG QUXB
REWB AECP VLYU AKCQ YQAU
KNWU SARR TNVB NYIX JALX
OUOS RTQA HIZU MAEX XYMV
YVBB ZJEB QAGZ JLKR GNCW
WHNS JNFP KFUH DGHJ KR

Jonathan
12-06-07, 01:58 PM
I feel that there is something going on here that I cannot understand and do not know about. :doh: How do I get in on the fun?

PavelKirilovich
12-06-07, 03:03 PM
The Enigma simulator is available from Rijmenants's website here (http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/index.htm). It includes a detailed help file explaining everything from how to set up the machine to encryption & message procedures used by the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe, and most importantly to us here, Kriegsmarine.

Edit:

Kriegsmarine M4, UKW = C.
Walzenlage: B, IV, I, VI.
Ringstellung: 5, 15, 10, 23.
Steckerverbindungen: AH CZ DW ES FI GM LN OY PX UV

06.12-07 = FABR IKAL =
CECU UKTU YVTT JSAL AVST LOSK DTHF INVE DFZY DSZP MNCZ NFUP VSZS RKYA QZXT JOMC KRIX GRXV OTNF ZYRN AYMI WJTO OKUU MRYF OXNN PERE MYFV CIXZ XHLQ UTU

The Butcher
12-06-07, 07:58 PM
Canovaro
KM3
UKW: B
Walzen: III IV VII
Ringstellung: A-01 E-05 X-24
Stecker: BU CP EI GN HT LZ MX OS

QTWZ RGCR CHTN MVYR PHIT LIYU QDGE

PK I still can't crack your code. The key checks out, I use the first set to decode the second set to get the messge decoding start setting. But all I get is jibberish. I can't imagine trying to do this under stress while moving.

Jonathan, Great info on that website. Check it out.:yep:

PavelKirilovich
12-06-07, 11:59 PM
The message is broken. I am not sure what I did wrong, normally I'm perfect with my transmissions. This is what I get for doing it in a rush.

I will repair the message when I have more time on my hands.

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
12-07-07, 12:50 AM
quick question.. what are the "kenngruppen" on the enigma ?

GoldenRivet
12-07-07, 12:54 AM
someone made an entire code book for every day of the year...

the codes changed daily, so for the thread that we had going a while back we all knew which code to use on which day. it was pretty cool.

kenngruppen might be in the readme file... or the instructions, i think it might be the switches in the back of the machine that you bridge for different letters... its been a while since i broke out the old code book ;)

Canovaro
12-07-07, 02:28 AM
quick question.. what are the "kenngruppen" on the enigma ?
"In the helpfile of the Enigma sim you can find some examples of the use of Kenngruppen. However, there were many different systems to use these Kenngruppen. In general, they were used to identify which key was used. Some had to be omitted during deciphering, others included. This depended on the different parts of the German Army where they were used."

Canovaro
12-07-07, 02:29 AM
someone made an entire code book for every day of the year...

the codes changed daily, so for the thread that we had going a while back we all knew which code to use on which day. it was pretty cool.

Dirk has a codebook tool on his website, to make your own codebook.

http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/codebook.htm

:up: