PDA

View Full Version : Why does my sub keep sinking? (using the Grey Wolves mod)

Snaggly Pete
11-28-07, 03:55 PM
Several times while playing I've noticed that the depth of my sub keeps falling and I can't figure out why or seem to stop it. For instance, I'll set the depth to 60, but the sub will pass 60, 70, 80, 200, etc. (At some point, I'm sure the hull implodes, but I usually reload the game before that happens) I'm pretty sure it has always happened after the sub has sustained some damage, but from what I can tell the damage should not have been that severe to cause this.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it? By the way, I'm using v. 1.03 of the Grey Wolves mod.

Thanks for any help provided.

flag4
11-28-07, 05:20 PM
" I'm pretty sure it has always happened after the sub has sustained some damage, but from what I can tell the damage should not have been that severe to cause this."

you are sure it always happens after sustaining damage - what is happening to your boat ?

what is happening at the bottom of your screen - the commands and alerts being called out.

what situation are you in when it happens. take some screen shots ctrl+f11 post them here, if you know how, if not, there is a thread further up, to show you how.

make some notes on what is hppening - read your screen, post them here.

hope this helps, coz i'm not technically minded........and, i'm going to bed !

gut nacht

did it happen not using the gwx mod ?

GoldenRivet
11-28-07, 05:31 PM
is this a save game that was saved and loaded while submerged?

is this a save game that was saved and loaded in the vicinity of other ships?

do you have any speed, while underwater? if you are looking for zero speed while submerged the u-boat will gradually sink.

is there any flooding that has not been repaired?

flag4
11-28-07, 06:11 PM
" if you are looking for zero speed while submerged the u-boat will gradually sink."

my experience suggests the u-boat will rise 5 mtrs or so...Herr Kaleun?

TarJak
11-28-07, 06:16 PM
Are you assigning crew to fix the damage? Even with small amounts of damage, you can end up sinking if you just leave it alone.

GoldenRivet
11-28-07, 06:19 PM
" if you are looking for zero speed while submerged the u-boat will gradually sink."

my experience suggests the u-boat will rise 5 mtrs or so...Herr Kaleun?
this is true... but i have run into several - in fact dozens of occasions where i dove deep, leveled the boat. went all stop, and the boat began a gradual descent of only 10 or 12 feet per minute that was controllable only by...

a. blowing ballast
b. increasing speed to 2 knots or greater

despite the fact that the planes showed full rise, and the surface command had been issued the boat gradually sank with zero speed. (no damage had been sustained)

Snaggly Pete
11-29-07, 09:42 AM
this is true... but i have run into several - in fact dozens of occasions where i dove deep, leveled the boat. went all stop, and the boat began a gradual descent of only 10 or 12 feet per minute that was controllable only by...

a. blowing ballast
b. increasing speed to 2 knots or greater

despite the fact that the planes showed full rise, and the surface command had been issued the boat gradually sank with zero speed. (no damage had been sustained)

Hmmm, maybe this is what is happening to me. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks.

Spin Doctor
12-03-07, 05:03 PM
You can't easily surface with zero speed (if at all. Can't say I've tried it, though). Even with full rise on the dive planes, they have no effect with no water moving across them. That's like a plane sitting still on a runway and trying to make it fly just by pulling back on the stick.

I suppose modern subs can hover, but they have special computer controlled valves built for the purpose, In 1940, it was pretty tough if not impossible to do.

Jimbuna
12-03-07, 05:17 PM
You can't easily surface with zero speed (if at all. Can't say I've tried it, though). Even with full rise on the dive planes, they have no effect with no water moving across them. That's like a plane sitting still on a runway and trying to make it fly just by pulling back on the stick.

I suppose modern subs can hover, but they have special computer controlled valves built for the purpose, In 1940, it was pretty tough if not impossible to do.

Just press the 'E' key and she should pop to the surface like a cork, moving or not. :lol:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/wolf-38.gif

Chock
12-03-07, 05:34 PM
Why does my sub keep sinking?

It's meant to do that, it's a submarine:rotfl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one, to be serious though, it sounds like the old save game bug to me or some version of it.

:D Chock

Jonathan
12-04-07, 12:24 AM
Is there a big hole in the side of your 'boot?

Badger Finn
12-04-07, 01:46 AM
Why does my sub keep sinking?

It's meant to do that, it's a submarine:rotfl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one, to be serious though, it sounds like the old save game bug to me or some version of it.

:D Chock

@Chock :rotfl:

Yep that bug still crops up from time to time

:yep:

JohnnyBlaze
12-04-07, 08:52 AM
To me it sounds like an incomplete crash dive. I think it was called the Crash dive blues or something like that