PDA

View Full Version : Tc's With Hydro ?

flag4
11-28-07, 11:06 AM
hi hunters,

at the moment i'm mid way between Bergen and Inverness, listening; i'm on my way to AN11.

thought i'd see what the traffic is like before moving on; here's my thing: is there a way of listening, i mean, can i use low TC's or will using TC at all just miss any chance of hearing a ship /convoy.

i dont have a great deal of time to sit with the game during the day/evening but try to go through the motions of it all the same + i don't want to spoil it by trying to be 'quick.'

my hydro guy is trained up and green-bar'ed so i aint worried about him, and i surface now and again for my crew watch to have a go, ther're all pretty handy too with the bino's.

any thoughts welcome :hmm:

danlisa
11-28-07, 11:12 AM
At any TC you are likely to miss contacts.

If you must TC while submerged, I would suggest no more than 128. However, you (the captain) can hear about 20km further than your radio man. So, personally, I would surface, TC then submerge & conduct a Hydrophone sweep yourself. Repeat this for as long as you need.

11-28-07, 01:28 PM
I have noticed that with my rig:
Geforce6800Ultra
Pent4 3.6ghz
2gig ram

Sometimes while travelling at TCx2048 that the game slows down a bit. This usually happens when ships are near me. I've gone to 25m for a sound check and the sonar guy reports nothing(I also boost the TC up to around 128x). From here on out, I am going to manually search for contacts when my computer slows down. You learn something new everyday with this great subsim.
thanks!:up:

Brag
11-28-07, 02:00 PM
I found that at TC 128 I get satisfactory results as far a getting contacts reported.

PapaG39
11-28-07, 02:50 PM
I find that the more I play this game the slower I seem to go.
I don't know if it really makes any difference, but I believe I do miss things when I go faster (above 128). I know that each time that I have gotten myself into big problems was by going faster then tc128.

flag4
11-28-07, 03:40 PM
cheers kaleuns:

i've got to make it fit for my purpose. i don't like the idea of trying to do things quickly in this game - defeats the purpose, but i dont get a lot of time, so...

i'll try out your recommendations.

saying this though, i did get a FULL sunday in on it just gone - took my time and took it easy. went off and made brews, lunch - a spot of telly for half an hour, even had a sleep mid afternoon whilst we were submerged doin' a bit of the ol' hydro.

THAT was a lovely day....for all of us ! :up:

nikbear
11-28-07, 04:06 PM
cheers kaleuns:

i've got to make it fit for my purpose. i don't like the idea of trying to do things quickly in this game - defeats the purpose, but i dont get a lot of time, so...

i'll try out your recommendations.

saying this though, i did get a FULL sunday in on it just gone - took my time and took it easy. went off and made brews, lunch - a spot of telly for half an hour, even had a sleep mid afternoon whilst we were submerged doin' a bit of the ol' hydro.

THAT was a lovely day....for all of us ! :up:

Sounds very much like my sundays and they are great:up: to stand the best chance I wouldn't go above 128TC in zones where there are likely to be victims,sorry I meant enemy ships;) :up:

flag4
11-28-07, 06:01 PM
i empathise with your Freudian slip...:yep:

:up:

Badger Finn
11-28-07, 10:45 PM
Hell I have this sim about a year and only got 6 patrols in. What with all the mods to try and interuptions of real life it takes ages along with the occasional game glitches here and there.

I figure whats the rush ya just end up back in port and do it all over again if u survive that is...

:o

danlisa
11-29-07, 07:06 AM
My earlier post which stated that you/I could take the hydrophone position and hear sounds contacts upto 20km further than your crew was a little over estimated/wrong.

I have just done the math and regardless of the file limitations, 20km cannot be the distance. While the distance is not acurate, my statement about you/I being able to hear further is still true.

BTW, someone is having a good giggle at the moment, at my expense via PM.:D Have your moment now, mine will come. Again & again & again........:rotfl:LOL Mate.

flag4
11-29-07, 09:09 AM
what do BTW and LOL mean - i read these abreviated terms/words alot and have no idea what they mean, though i think i have sussed out IMHO: in my humble opinion ?

danlisa
11-29-07, 09:20 AM
OMG - Oh my god (goodness/gosh)
IMHO - In my humble opinion
IMO - In my opinion
LOL - laugh out loud
TBH - to be honest
LMAO - laughing my ass off
ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
OTT - over the top
TTFN- Ta ta for now
BRB - be right back
BTW - by the way

:up:

Sorry for OT. (off topic):lol:

Kpt, Otto
11-29-07, 10:09 AM
At any TC you are likely to miss contacts.

If you must TC while submerged, I would suggest no more than 128. However, you (the captain) can hear about 20km further than your radio man. So, personally, I would surface, TC then submerge & conduct a Hydrophone sweep yourself. Repeat this for as long as you need.

danlisa's advice is very good advice and it always works for me. :up:

I find if I do a hydrophone search then I do pick up contacts quicker then the radio man and then I can track them and form a course and speed and set an intercept course. However I try not to use TC whilst submerged and if I do use it then I only use it for a very short time at a max of 64x, for an hour or so (TC game time). If I am on a shipping route or near the coast then a contact is almost certain.

PapaG39
11-30-07, 02:41 AM
I bop along the surface until I get my batteries charged & then submerge, stop & listen for a while.
Then I set 1 or 2 kts & hit TC at 8, 16 or 32 & watch as 1 hour clicks by. Then I stop & listen for a while. I keep doing this until I hit the first redline on the Batteries or the air is close to redline...(whichever is first) then I surface & recharge again..
It takes a long time to go anywhere, but I have had some success...

The only problem seems to be that I am now in August 1941 & aircraft are really ruining my battery charging. In my old campaign with my older crew I have spotted them in time, but I did two brand-new patrols in 1942 & both subs were sunk by aircraft on their first patrols. I mean, by the time I got the warning they were just dropping the bombs...they didn't miss..I didn't even have time to hit the "C" key.