PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear, I'm a war criminal!

Big Paul
11-27-07, 04:32 PM
Irish sea, December 1939, heavy fog, wind 15/ms. Suddenly the lookout spots a Schooner off the port bow, and very close. Hard-a-port and full ahead, The bow of U-124 slams into the flank of the schooner, riding over the top of it.

It sinks immediately, another 2 tommy pleasure sailors have met their maker.

Somehow I feel rather bad, but this is total war.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Brag
11-27-07, 04:40 PM
Well, better than sinking hospital ships--BANG --Five years! :down:

ChrisG2100
11-27-07, 04:47 PM
Not to worry, I sank my first ship last night. I got excited and didn't check the registry. It was neutral. The Norwigans are very mad at me. :o

BulSoldier
11-27-07, 04:55 PM
Dont worry, eventually whole germany will back you up :up:

Stealth Hunter
11-27-07, 05:19 PM

I sank 8, but they were heading into Southampton.

Sent those bastard Tommies to the bottom of the sea.

Penelope_Grey
11-27-07, 05:28 PM
Top holes(!) You showed those wounded men whose boss(!) :up:

Kpt. Lehmann
11-27-07, 05:43 PM
Oooh yeah. Those hospital ships and their mean old spotlights are DANGEROUS! :88)

Jimbuna
11-27-07, 05:50 PM

Disappointing use of terminology IMO http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img231/9307/iconnaughtyjv1.gif

Some of those Tommies you refer to in such a derogitory manner could quite easily be relatives of some members on this forum :yep:
I personally can site my grandfather who was lost at sea during this period and my living father who sailed under unimaginable conditions to maintain the freedom of decent peace loving people. :rock:
This is just a game, let us keep that thought uppermost in our minds without resorting to expletives that many on here could easily perceive as insulting http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img134/9742/angry8se2.gif

http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img233/1673/adminwatch2af0.gif

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/th_1170.gif

Stealth Hunter
11-27-07, 06:11 PM

Disappointing use of terminology IMO http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img231/9307/iconnaughtyjv1.gif

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g17/Sgt-Smithy/1162281880762qi7.gif

Jonathan
11-27-07, 06:59 PM
What is a Tommie? I know that I am sounding like a total nub when I ask that, but I have no clue. I am assuming that it is a hospital ship, of which, I have not seen in game...yet.

When I do, I will not sink it. There might be German's on that ship as well.

Otto Von Strunf
11-27-07, 07:12 PM
we are all feal with you but fuhrer want, you will be executet soon.:down:

Jimbuna
11-27-07, 07:25 PM
What is a Tommie? I know that I am sounding like a total nub when I ask that, but I have no clue. I am assuming that it is a hospital ship, of which, I have not seen in game...yet.

'Tommie' is a term used for British people during WWII.

Not offensive when used in isolation.

Jonathan
11-27-07, 09:37 PM

'Tommie' is a term used for British people during WWII.

Thank you for the information...is it a deragatory term like "Jap", or just another term for British people, like "Yankees" for Americans? I mean no offense, I just wnat to know so I will recgonize when to and when not to use it here or anywhere else.

Stealth Hunter
11-28-07, 12:42 AM
One of my favorite expressions:

"The Tommies are crapping all over us..." -In reference to a depth charge attack.:rotfl:

Cohaagen
11-28-07, 07:11 AM
It comes from "Tommy Atkins", the fictitious embodiment of British soldiers in the First World War - rather like John Bull representing the UK, or Uncle Sam for America. Not offensive at all.

Sailor Steve
11-28-07, 06:27 PM

Thank you for the information...is it a deragatory term like "Jap", or just another term for British people, like "Yankees" for Americans? I mean no offense, I just wnat to know so I will recgonize when to and when not to use it here or anywhere else.
Within the context of the game a little period slur is mostly harmless. As Jim indicated, combining the term with "bastards" is when the line is crossed, and it wasn't you who did that.

bookworm_020
11-28-07, 07:19 PM
Back to topic: Don't worry to much about it. the fact that they didn't have light's on and the weather mean you have a good excuse if ever questioned about it.

It was there fault, they should have been tied up in port instead of crusing around in bad weather. The brits will say they sunk due to bad weather!

Stealth Hunter
11-29-07, 01:43 AM

Within the context of the game a little period slur is mostly harmless. As Jim indicated, combining the term with "bastards" is when the line is crossed, and it wasn't you who did that.

I'm not really sure whether or not to tell you that it's life, and you need to take a joke once in a while, or just completely ignore that statement and pass it by like a dying animal.

-SWCowboy.
11-29-07, 01:46 AM
I would've just blamed it on a collision - they hit something and sank, simple as that :lol:

Jimbuna
11-29-07, 12:58 PM

Roger that mate :up:

Mikey_Wolf
11-29-07, 01:57 PM
I'm not really sure whether or not to tell you that it's life, and you need to take a joke once in a while, or just completely ignore that statement and pass it by like a dying animal.

There is nothing funny at all in your "joke" there. Shooting at hospital ships is like blowing up an actual building hospital. Frankly, its disturbing game or not. Then referring to them as bastard tommies to top it, well now, that is getting a bit close to the knuckle. Maybe you need to learn that one mans joke is another mans insult.

Hitman
11-29-07, 03:43 PM

Well, I have to agree with both sides this time,

Stealthhunter: You are right, it was just a joke and you meant it as such.

Steve, Jimbuna and others: You are right, the joke was not funny at all for many people here.

I would say that Stealthhunter just took a jokingly enthusiasm too far inadvertedly, so the best if we all forget about this and move on to discuss other more interesting things, agree? :hmm:

AVGWarhawk
11-29-07, 04:42 PM
A few things about written word, there is no voice inflections as one reads other than the inflections in ones own head. The reader can not see a smile or hear a giggle as the writer types away the words. Tone is never heard when reading writing, tone is only applied by the reader and what he/she believes the tone is.

I read it as a joke. My not be my taste in jokes but still looks to be a joke.

Stealth Hunter
11-29-07, 06:36 PM

There is nothing funny at all in your "joke" there. Shooting at hospital ships is like blowing up an actual building hospital. Frankly, its disturbing game or not. Then referring to them as bastard tommies to top it, well now, that is getting a bit close to the knuckle. Maybe you need to learn that one mans joke is another mans insult.

Maybe you need to learn fantasy from real life.:88)

Sailor Steve
11-29-07, 06:42 PM
Believe it or not, I recognized that it was a joke right off. As far as separating fantasy from real life, I realize that it's fun to get into the spirit of the game, but for some of us it's harder than for others. I've just struggled all of my life to get away from the words I used to use for real: "Gooks", "Slants", "Slopes", and so I tend to disapprove of it sometimes.

Stealth Hunter
11-29-07, 10:38 PM
Ever had a kid run up to you and call you a terrorist?

:rotfl:

Kids say the damnedest political things.:-? :88) :nope:

Jimbuna
11-30-07, 04:53 AM
@AVG

Well put sir, but there are sufficient smilies and emoticons at hand to reinforce the tone, nuance and context. :yep:

@Mikey Wolf

How are you doing young man?.....is sis still keeping you on yer toes? :lol:

Haven't heard you on TS for a while :hmm:

Big Paul
12-01-07, 03:54 AM
Ever had a kid run up to you and call you a terrorist?

:rotfl:

Kids say the damnedest political things.:-? :88) :nope:

I'm from Belfast, what do you think!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikey_Wolf
12-01-07, 06:02 AM
@Mikey Wolf

Schoolwork keeps me busy Jimbuna, but I tell you what, I'll definately nip onto Teamspeak again with her one night she's coming on, and maybe you can hear her slap me again. :lol:

Jimbuna
12-01-07, 08:19 AM
@Mikey Wolf

Schoolwork keeps me busy Jimbuna, but I tell you what, I'll definately nip onto Teamspeak again with her one night she's coming on, and maybe you can hear her slap me again. :lol:

Looking forward to it Mikey :up: