PDA

View Full Version : Advice To All Nubs Like Me

Jonathan
11-25-07, 05:57 AM
If you ever waste two torpedoes on an invisible (i.e. below water) sand-barge, deciding to surface and attack the British Destroyer with your lone (1) anti-flak gun is just an all-around bad idea.

However, it is great if you like getting hit, seeing the screen go wobbly, and then hear/assume (because you are already dead) that your watchtower just blew up!

But again, probably not an all-around good idea...it is up there with "Surrendering"

BulSoldier
11-25-07, 07:23 AM
If you die at sea sh3 commander shows lost at sea,you can change it to surrendered but ingame when you surface you just have to face enemy shells.

Jonathan
11-25-07, 02:32 PM
I am just playing the regular game with no mods. Though I did upgrade to v1.4

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 03:03 PM
You have no idea what you're missing.

GWX is the ultimate all-in-one supermod, and 2.0 is going to be even better. It's impossible to describe how much better it is short of a 300-page book.
http://mysite.orange.co.uk/manual/GWX/GWX_MANUAL_EN_PF.pdf

SH3 Commander is the ultimate tool for the game, allowing changes you never dreamed possible. A description wouldn't take quite so many pages, but there are too many to mention here.
http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/SH3Cmdr%20Help.html

If you use both of these you will find your experience so changed you might not even recognize it.:sunny:

Jonathan
11-25-07, 03:22 PM
Sailor Steve, you make it sound as though it is the best thing since sliced bread, and to a Kaleun like you, it might just be!

I will read over those links and look into it...I have just always been weary of modding, plus, I am new to SHIII and I did not want to lose the original in-game experience.

BulSoldier
11-25-07, 03:25 PM
Believe me i was new when i got gwx and it really rocks,the original isnt worth half Bernard compared with gwx.

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 03:39 PM
Sailor Steve, you make it sound as though it is the best thing since sliced bread, and to a Kaleun like you, it might just be!

I will read over those links and look into it...I have just always been weary of modding, plus, I am new to SHIII and I did not want to lose the original in-game experience.
You're right to have doubts. Enjoy the stock game for as long as you like. I don't even rave about the better gameplay; I just like seeing fully populated harbors with bf-109s orbiting the area, and the occassional devastating bomber raid.

And sailing through the Kiel Canal.:sunny:

Jonathan
11-26-07, 12:12 AM
So it has populated harbors? That is somethin that I am suffering from right now in Scapa Flow...

I think that I will do this upgrade.:know:

GoldenRivet
11-26-07, 02:37 PM
jonathan your right to become well aquainted with the stock game before modding.

not only will the stock game offer an easier learning experience, but it will help you develop a greater appreciation of the mod because you will see vast differences in the game and the mod.

I wouldnt go so far as to say GWX is "harder" but it is increadibly unforgiving of tactical carlessness or strategic neglect.

in other words, when using GWX, you will really have to think and act with all the "what ifs" in the back of your mind.

Jonathan
11-26-07, 02:44 PM
Right now, I know that I play the game with alot of disregard for the tactical side of things...I make more immediate decisions and not a whole lot of down the road ones. I know that this is one reason why I am perpetualy out of torpedoes when I need them most....that and I have a sum total of 5 on my Type IIA.

von hally
11-27-07, 02:38 PM
lo jonothan

hope youre enjoying sh3 stock game mate....i played it myself for a couple of months untill ...to be honest...it was losing its shine a little, then with a bit of luck i stumbled upon this forum....and im glad i did mate....listen to sailor steve...he knows what hes talking about bud...and when your ready, download gwx and sh3 commander...you wont regret it!!!
i too was a nub to modding etc...but believe me it isnt that hard, onc you get used to tweaking the game youl be amazed at some of the work of the guys on this forum..the mods are superb.
gwx offers more than harbour traffic and eye candy...to me it was like a complete new game when i combined it with sh3 commander...ive also installed and changed many of the sound files ingame for a mutch more realistic experience...take your time bro...but be assured theres plenty more to sh3 than what meets the eye!!!
theres always someone online to help withany download questions or installation questions if you have them....youl find youl get by mate

enjoy and welcome to the best game youl ever play!!!:up:

Jonathan
11-27-07, 02:49 PM
lo jonothan

hope youre enjoying sh3 stock game mate....i played it myself for a couple of months untill ...to be honest...it was losing its shine a little, then with a bit of luck i stumbled upon this forum....and im glad i did mate....listen to sailor steve...he knows what hes talking about bud...and when your ready, download gwx and sh3 commander...you wont regret it!!!
i too was a nub to modding etc...but believe me it isnt that hard, onc you get used to tweaking the game youl be amazed at some of the work of the guys on this forum..the mods are superb.
gwx offers more than harbour traffic and eye candy...to me it was like a complete new game when i combined it with sh3 commander...ive also installed and changed many of the sound files ingame for a mutch more realistic experience...take your time bro...but be assured theres plenty more to sh3 than what meets the eye!!!
theres always someone online to help withany download questions or installation questions if you have them....youl find youl get by mate

enjoy and welcome to the best game youl ever play!!!:up:

Wow...thanks for the awesome welcome Von Hally...you really know how to make a guy feel comfortable.

von hally
11-27-07, 04:02 PM
just happy theres another kaleun on board mate!!!

i was completely new to this forum..and the wider world of sh3 and the various mods only a couple of months ago as well..i sometimes shudder at the thought that i might have skipped over the subsims page that day when i was in google!!!
and never found out that sh3 was much bigger and better than i could have imagined!!!
get used to the stock game mate...have fun...make mistakes...go gun ho' if you want...its all good man!...but eventually you'l want something a bit more realistic and submersive...now gwx can still be played at whatever realism you want ( i thought all these guys were playing 100% and manual targeting) so you can ease yourself in...its all at your own pace...thats the brilliance of it mate...and the update to the sounds and music are also superb ...just wait till you order "periscope Depth" and hear your watch crew scramble down the steely steps HA!..its so mutch of an improvement!. the radio and news updtes in gwx and other mods are also superb...ading to the realism and making you feel a little less alone in the north atlantic!!
p.s i would recommend setting voices to german....but keeping text at english in the options menu at startof sh3...this makes the game mutch more realistic...whilst not havingto learn german !!!!!!
:up: :up:

Samwolf
11-27-07, 04:41 PM
I am new to SHIII and I did not want to lose the original in-game experience.

There's an "original in-game experience"???????? :rotfl:

Went GWX as soon as it came out and never looked back.

Jonathan
11-27-07, 07:01 PM
I am new to SHIII and I did not want to lose the original in-game experience.
There's an "original in-game experience"???????? :rotfl:

Went GWX as soon as it came out and never looked back.

I think that there is something to say for playing the game that the designers intended...at least once.