PDA

View Full Version : GWX v1.03 CTD

El-Fish
11-24-07, 09:14 PM
Hello

First off many many thanks to those that have continued to mod SHIII. Much appreciated on this end!

The last time I used GWX (and played shiii) was v1.01. All the talk about the new version coming out made me install the lattest version and give it another try.

I installed SHIII and updated it to 1.4b. I then install GWX 1.0 and ran through the 1st training mission with no problems. I then updated it to v1.1 and again found it to be working fine. I then downloaded gwx103.exe and made the sure the md5 matched what was listed.

After the installation of v1.03 the game refused to start. When I start the game I do get the correct 1.03 loading screen but about 1 second after the red bar fills in I get a CTD. I do however see a quick flash of something like it begins to play a movie or animation but it happens so fast that I can't really tell. So my question is this: Was a movie or animation added to gwx between v1.01 and 1.3? I'm wondering if that's where the problem is. If something new is there maybe I could delete/bypass it to get the game to start.

While trying to figuire out what was wrong I've gone through bunches and bunches of reinstalls and I notice something about the two updates I have for gwx: There are mods present in the 1.01 update that aren't in the 1.03 despite the fact that 1.03 should include all the previous updates.
For instance looking in the 1.01 update I see a folder named "GW Documentation & Optional Mods" that isn't present in the v1.03 update. It would seem to me that if you only update using the 1.03 update you wouldn't ever see these mods..........

This is one of the reasons why I don't play games like SH as often as I do others even though I absolutely love the game there is just way too much 'tinkering' involved in geting things to work half way decent. As the years have gone buy free time is less and less and given the choice of acutally playing a game and 'tinkering' with one to 'try' and play one......Right now is a perfect example I've spent a few hours trying to get this to work and now I'm tired/sleepy and really didn't get much done besides pulling some of my hair..... I'm sure this has also cost the games some sales.

BTW, I'm currently running GWX v1.01 since it runs fine.

Umfuld
11-24-07, 09:50 PM
Are you loading 1.03 over 1.01? Or doing a fresh install over patched SHIII? GWX1.03 is a stand alone mod and can't be loaded 'over' their previous releases as far as I know.

Also, do you know how to activate / use SHIII commander? It comes with the GWX1.03 download and it's what you use to activate the 'optional mods' that come with 1.03. They are there as well as the docs.

Anyway, I know next to nothing about PCs and modding games and have found that the GWX crew goes out of their way to make things as easy as possible for peeps like me

El-Fish
11-24-07, 10:23 PM
Hi Thanks for the reply.

I have version 1.0 (???.bin1....???.bin6) and the 1.03 update (gwx103.exe) that I apply on top of a fresh shiii 104 that has had gwx v1.0 installed on it.

I'll go have another look but all I remember seeing was the 1.0 version along with the 1.03 update.

Umfuld
11-24-07, 10:58 PM
Hm, maybe that is just an update. I come and go so I think I thought it was all a new release. Anywho, try posting here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102096

That's their thread in the Mod section of SHIII. Maybe you'll find your answer already there

bigboywooly
11-25-07, 07:26 AM
Right order is

SH3
1.4B patch
GWX 1.0
GWX 1.03

Old careers may not work going from 1.0 to 1.03 due to campaign and unit changes

El-Fish
11-25-07, 04:53 PM
Right order is

SH3
1.4B patch
GWX 1.0
GWX 1.03

Old careers may not work going from 1.0 to 1.03 due to campaign and unit changes

This is the install order that I'm useing:

SH3
1.4b
GWX 1.0
GWX 1.03 <--= This is where it stops working

If I install the GWX 1.01 update instead of the 1.03 it does work. What I was hoping is that someone would remember if any animations/videos were added to the main menu screen between GWX 1.01 and GWX 1.03? I'm hoping that there was and if I could find out what was added I could find a way around it.

Does anyone still have the 1.02 update laying around? Maybe I can at least get that working.

Jimbuna
11-25-07, 05:35 PM
Start afress and follow these simple steps :up:

1. Uninstall SH3 via Windows' "Add/Remove programs"
2. Open Windows Explorer and:
- *delete* the folder where you had installed SH3
- *delete* the \My Documents\SH3 folder
3. Reinstall SH3
4. If your SH3 did not come with patch v1.4b already included, install patch v1.4b. Ensure you install the patch that corresponds to your copy of SH3 (Download/DVD/EMEA/US)
5. OPTIONAL: Copy and paste this "clean" install as a backup to avoid the need to follow steps 1-3 if your game becomes corrupt in future
6.Download into the SAME folder GWX.exe and the five .bin files. While there grab the v1.03 patch
7. Run GWX.exe and follow the installation prompts
8. Run GWX103.exe and follow the installation prompts
9. SH3 COMMANDER USERS: Download the GWX 1.02+ Cfg files for SH3 Commander and unzip the contents DIRECTLY into your SH3 Commander\Cfg folder.

El-Fish
11-25-07, 07:02 PM
Hi jimbuna

That is exactly how I am installing it. Unfortunately there seems to be a conflict between my machine and gwx 1.03. :cry: I am able to run it if I install gwx 1.01 update but it's a no go for 1.03.

When starting 1.03 it crashes to desktop about 1 second after the red bar fills in. I see a brief flash of a screen but it happens so fast that I can't tell what it is. I'm hoping that someone that knows the code well enough can tell me what changed on the main screen between version 1.01 and 1.03 so that I can disable/workaround what ever it is and get the game to start. Any ideas?

Does anyone still have the 1.02 update laying around? :hmm:

BTW

all files do check good against the md5 values
i do delete the mydocs/sh3 folder
i do delete the game folder after uninstall

ref
11-26-07, 06:53 AM
Hi jimbuna

That is exactly how I am installing it. Unfortunately there seems to be a conflict between my machine and gwx 1.03. :cry: I am able to run it if I install gwx 1.01 update but it's a no go for 1.03.

When starting 1.03 it crashes to desktop about 1 second after the red bar fills in. I see a brief flash of a screen but it happens so fast that I can't tell what it is. I'm hoping that someone that knows the code well enough can tell me what changed on the main screen between version 1.01 and 1.03 so that I can disable/workaround what ever it is and get the game to start. Any ideas?

Does anyone still have the 1.02 update laying around? :hmm:

BTW

all files do check good against the md5 values
i do delete the mydocs/sh3 folder
i do delete the game folder after uninstall

Have you checked the downloaded files md5 hash to ensure there's no corrupted files?

Ref

Jimbuna
11-26-07, 10:53 AM
Just prior to number 3 in my earlier post, insert the game disc and perform the 'uninstall' operation.
I'm don't know where you got your exe and bin files from, but might I suggest you try d/l them from my sig.
I am 100% confident of there reliability and know that a few people in the past with similar problems to yours have used them successfully. :up:

danurve
11-26-07, 11:32 AM
EL-Fish; Is your SH3/1.4 a copy from MultiSH3 by any chance?

Something of a 1.03 CTD happened to me with a copy like that, not sure why because it worked before. Anyhow I uninstalled all that jazz as above and did a fresh install/1.4 and it took care of it.

Maybe delete your 1.03 exe and d/l a fresh one. :hmm:

El-Fish
11-28-07, 08:23 PM
Success!

It turned out to be a codec problem. All was fixed by reinstalling the default codec packs that came with Windows XP.

I'm at a loss to explain why it only effected GWX 1.03 and not 1.00-1.02 or vanilla SHIII 1.04b but it certainly did and I'm glad it's sorted out.

Here's the link explaining how to reinstall the codec packs. It was written pre SP2 so the codec packs are a little different than what's listed but it's simple enough to see what has to be installed once you get to the page.

http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/How_to_install_default_codecs_in_Windows_XP_2000.h tm

BTW, Many thanks to those that replied and tried to help out. Much appreciated!