PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable tonnage???

Nerazzurri
11-23-07, 11:24 AM
OK folks, I could be doing with guiding hand, or two. I've been playing/messing with SH3 GWX for about a week now and just put the realism up to 35% (no jokes - that's good for me! LOL).

I've made 2 patrols so far (about 18 days in total) in 1939 with a Type II totalling around 18,000T with five ships.

I'm not too unhappy with that but I just can't help feeling I should be doing better. Should I be so selective as to keep my meagre six torps for reasonable ships like +5,000T, even if that means staying at sea longer? Or should I keep taking out anything over 2,000T and returning to base more often?

I'd be glad of your views or help.

T.Von Hogan
11-23-07, 11:36 AM
Herr Kaleun Nerazzurri

Your priorities are not in thier proper order sir. You are worrying about personal glory instead of worrying about protecting the fatherland. If a merchant ship is an enemy or an ally of the enemy it is your duty to eliminate it. No matter the tonnage. A small merchant could be making many more trips than larger ones and thus actually be transporting more tonnage per year. Tonnage will come in time just sink every vessel you have the oppertunity to sink sir.

Nerazzurri
11-23-07, 12:05 PM
And thus I have been told :cry: LOL

But, Herr Hogan, prioritising is exactly why I asked the question :know:

I'm worried the people, back home in the Fatherland, who crafted one of my precious 6 fish, not to mention my superiors, might be unhappy at me for using one to down a tramp, rather than preserve it for a more 'worthwhile?' target :hmm:

U49
11-23-07, 12:44 PM
Our orders as submarine commanders are to sink ANY enemy vessel, we encounter.

You are doing right! And it is not your fault that the enemy was not stupid enough to send bigger ships your way. :up:

However, sometimes it requires a little bit of patience and to let a small target pass unharmed to open the path for bigger opportunities.

To answer your question more precisely
If you play at a more realistic level, don't let any target pass, if you can sink it.
(there was a tspecial training lecture from the BDU to exactly this)

If you play at a more easy level, you can of course apply the more strategic thinking a spare your valuable torpedos for the bigger targets.

Gaz2
11-23-07, 12:51 PM
Should I be so selective as to keep my meagre six torps for reasonable ships like +5,000T, even if that means staying at sea longer? Or should I keep taking out anything over 2,000T and returning to base more often?

Six torps? I thought that the type II had five.

bigboywooly
11-23-07, 01:53 PM
Many uboats never sank a single ship
Indeed many never even saw the enemy

You have a better chance of sinking something in SH3 than in RL

So tis up to you
Sink any ship that crosses you or wait for a bigger ship that may never arrive

I would rather return home with 10,000 tons than 0 tons and no diesel left from looking for big targets

Nerazzurri
11-23-07, 03:01 PM
Should I be so selective as to keep my meagre six torps for reasonable ships like +5,000T, even if that means staying at sea longer? Or should I keep taking out anything over 2,000T and returning to base more often?

three tubes, fore, and three reloads.

Nerazzurri
11-23-07, 03:03 PM
Many uboats never sank a single ship
Indeed many never even saw the enemy

You have a better chance of sinking something in SH3 than in RL

So tis up to you
Sink any ship that crosses you or wait for a bigger ship that may never arrive

I would rather return home with 10,000 tons than 0 tons and no diesel left from looking for big targets

Good point on the diesel Wooly. Once I start playing more realistically I'll need to give the diesel consideration. A bird in the hand......and all that.

Penelope_Grey
11-23-07, 03:23 PM

It did, in stock game... in real life they were designed with 5 torps in mind, but some did cram a 6th in somewhere. Though mainly it was 5.

Badger Finn
11-23-07, 03:27 PM
OK folks, I could be doing with guiding hand, or two. I've been playing/messing with SH3 GWX for about a week now and just put the realism up to 35% (no jokes - that's good for me! LOL).

I've made 2 patrols so far (about 18 days in total) in 1939 with a Type II totalling around 18,000T with five ships.

I'm not too unhappy with that but I just can't help feeling I should be doing better. Should I be so selective as to keep my meagre six torps for reasonable ships like +5,000T, even if that means staying at sea longer? Or should I keep taking out anything over 2,000T and returning to base more often?

"Sink Them All" :yep:

Umfuld
11-23-07, 03:56 PM
Hold off for bigger ships

With so few torps it's almost not worth risking the crew just to sink a couple of small merchants

TarJak
11-23-07, 05:37 PM
Fill yer boots matey. Any tonnage is good tonnage! Sink em all!:arrgh!:

STEED
11-23-07, 05:47 PM
Sink em all!:arrgh!:

What do you think I have been trying to do for the last three years? :rotfl:

Jimbuna
11-23-07, 06:22 PM
On the odd occasion I start a career in a 'canoe' I try to be more selective with regards to ships of medium to large tonnage :arrgh!:

Nerazzurri
11-23-07, 06:52 PM
@Jimbuna - even if that means staying out longer on the hunt?

I was thinking of limiting targeted contacts to medium or larger ships. But, then maybe by the time you've bagged two or three you could have knocked of a few smaller crates and ALSO been back to port as well.

Jimbuna
11-24-07, 07:17 AM
@Jimbuna - even if that means staying out longer on the hunt?

I was thinking of limiting targeted contacts to medium or larger ships. But, then maybe by the time you've bagged two or three you could have knocked of a few smaller crates and ALSO been back to port as well.

In that case you would also have to factor in the number of days in port between patrols :hmm:

Sailor Steve
11-24-07, 12:28 PM

Not so. Clay Blair says six, and Lehman considers him the best source, but other sources say five. There was only space for two reloads, but it is believed that given the short patrol times Type II kaleuns liked to carry a sixth on the floor of the compartment; uncomfortable, but useful.

As to the whole truth, we may never know for sure.

Jimbuna
11-24-07, 05:11 PM

Not so. Clay Blair says six, and Lehman considers him the best source, but other sources say five. There was only space for two reloads, but it is believed that given the short patrol times Type II kaleuns liked to carry a sixth on the floor of the compartment; uncomfortable, but useful.

Agreed Steve :yep:

I'm not aware of any other sources that were put in print having underwent such lengthy and detailed research :arrgh!:

Nerazzurri
11-24-07, 05:35 PM

I don't know if you guys are differing over the real life status of the boat, but I was just meaning in SH3 GWX.

Jimbuna
11-24-07, 05:48 PM

I don't know if you guys are differing over the real life status of the boat, but I was just meaning in SH3 GWX.

Steve and I seldom if ever differ :p ....and yes we were referring to the RL loadout http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/img517/1941/shotheadzs2.gif

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 03:36 PM
Aha! I always think people are talking about real life. Sorry for the misunderstanding.:doh:

I'm not aware of any other sources that were put in print having underwent such lengthy and detailed research :arrgh!:
Normally I would agree, but I'm nervous about the fact that Blair doesn't give any reference, just a chart that looks like it came from another source. Uboat.net doesn't have any better credentials, but some nagging doubt in the back of my mind makes me trust them more on this one.

Some years ago there was a discussion on the 'Classic Subsims' board about AOD, which also had six torpedoes for the Type II. Someone in that discussion seemed very certain the official loadout was five, but of course I can't remember the thread title or the source. How convenient for me.:rotfl:

Jimbuna
11-25-07, 03:45 PM
Aha! I always think people are talking about real life. Sorry for the misunderstanding.:doh:

Normally I would agree, but I'm nervous about the fact that Blair doesn't give any reference, just a chart that looks like it came from another source. Uboat.net doesn't have any better credentials, but some nagging doubt in the back of my mind makes me trust them more on this one.

Some years ago there was a discussion on the 'Classic Subsims' board about AOD, which also had six torpedoes for the Type II. Someone in that discussion seemed very certain the official loadout was five, but of course I can't remember the thread title or the source. How convenient for me.:rotfl:

Oops!! forgot to mention this one :oops:

If you read this 'veritable bible' re: U-boats, it also states 6 :up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0304361208/ref=sib_rdr_dp

Nerazzurri
11-25-07, 03:47 PM
I have a WWII Janes book tucked away in a cupboard - I could dig that out tomorrow if you think it would be any help?? :hmm:

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 03:48 PM
COOL! More stuff to read!

Danke!:sunny:

Nerazzurri
11-25-07, 03:52 PM

LOL OK I'll recover that from the black vacuumus hole that is my large cupboard tomorrow and see what it says. :know:

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 03:54 PM

LOL OK I'll recover that from the black vacuumus hole that is my large cupboard tomorrow and see what it says. :know:
Oops! We crossposted. I was actually referring to jimbuna's link to a book I haven't seen.

I have Jane's, though I can't get to it right now. I'm willing to bet it doesn't say anything about number of torpedoes carried.

Jimbuna
11-25-07, 04:08 PM

Oops! We crossposted. I was actually referring to jimbuna's link to a book I haven't seen.

I have Jane's, though I can't get to it right now. I'm willing to bet it doesn't say anything about number of torpedoes carried.

LMAO :rotfl:

@Steve

Have a look at this little beauty if you ever get the chance mate (it also states 6 eels) :up:

http://www.cahood.com/BOOK8843.htm
This is part of a series of 'separate navies' books, covering UK, USA, French, Italian, German, Japanese.
I was fortunate enough to purchase them many moons ago. They are full of photos and a real mine of information. :up: