PDA

View Full Version : Can't survive with new crew

VonBrat
11-22-07, 11:29 PM
I have the standard cd install of SH3 plux Commander...Laptop won't handle anything more...

I started a 1942 campaign in Bergan, Norway with the VIIC boat.

I have made two attempts with just a crew with "0" experience.
Using the map that came with the SH3 original I have plotted my course to stay outside the land based aircraft areas.

On each patrol attempt I have gotten the "ship spotted" and within a few seconds I get the small window showing a single engine aircraft with floats on short final for his bombing run.

I don't even have time to hit the "C" key to start a dive.

Are we not able to complete a patrol with a crew with zero time?

I am to far away from land for a single engine on floats so it must be launched from a ship with a cherry picker (crain). actually, no aircraft on floats is going to be able to survive a landing in those high waves...But, no matter...

Is this sim workable with a zero experience crew? the days were both clear so even an inexperienced crew would see an aircraft before he right over the boat on his final run...
he was NOT coming in out of the sun...

Capa
11-22-07, 11:50 PM
Lower your time compression. If you're watching your boat travel 20km a second all it takes is a 10th of a second of delay to travel 2km closer to the spotted contact. After seeing someones helpful TC settings I've capped mine at 256 maximum. Might seem tedious if you're impatient, but it's a lot more satisfying to get home when it feels like you've actually traveled.

I wouldn't worry too much about idiosynchracies like planes that shouldn't be that far out. Some of the mods address that.

bookworm_020
11-22-07, 11:57 PM
Make sure the crew isn't tired, that's a big thing you have to watch. IF you get an aircraft thats too close to dive in time to get away, man the flack guns, order flank ahead do a hard turn port or starboard to increase your chance of getting away.

You can also boost the watch crew experience by having a watch officer who is quailified. That will give all all the crew a boost. Make sure after you surface that the Watch officer is on station, if he isn't then your new boys may not see there feet!

Now go forth and "Be more aggressive!":arrgh!:

VonBrat
11-23-07, 12:43 AM
On the first bomber I was at TC128...

On the second bombing I had just come off TC of 64 & was just cruising.

Crew fatigue didn't enter into this because I do not use it...that's someone elses job...lol..
I use the same watch officer who is watch & repair qualified.

There was no time from/between "aircraft spotted/the window with the aircraft dropping its bomb...There was not enought time to even hit the "C" key

He did **NOT** come out of the sun either...

Ha Ha I thought the GWX was suppose to be the one that didn't give you time to react...

Killed twice in a row is kinda hard to swallow...lol..