PDA

View Full Version : GWX 2.0 downloading

GoldenRivet
11-21-07, 10:51 PM
So how many of you plan to download it right away with the donation date?

and how many plan to wait until it comes out later in December?

baggygreen
11-21-07, 11:40 PM
Not I.

Can't afford to unfortunately, I'd love to, but i'd much rather make a contribution which is going to go somewhere rather than a piddly little fiver.

I'll wait patiently until its available to everyone, hey its only another week, we've been waiting ages!

CCIP
11-21-07, 11:44 PM
Another excuse to donate to Subsim? Why not.

I'm not sure I'll be rushing since I'll hardly have time to play anything (I'm booked to supervise exams here for two weeks straight in early december) - but I'll definitely consider it. I've waited for it a while, ever since my super-cool custom SHIII install was lost with my previous PC. Looking forward :)

Phantom II
11-21-07, 11:48 PM
I'll probably donate, only because GWX is pretty much the best mod I've seen for any game bar none.

PavelKirilovich
11-21-07, 11:57 PM
I'll wait for it to be released publicly and then I'll donate to SubSim anyways. I've enjoyed my time here, excellent community with exceptionally helpful walkthroughs and tutorials even for poor bastards like me where math isn't exactly their strong suit.

d@rk51d3
11-22-07, 12:23 AM
Just made a donation a few weeks back, so I'll probably wait. Unless my wealthy Aunt dies and leaves me a load of cash.................

...........oh, hang on. I don't have a wealthy Aunt.:)

GoldenRivet
11-22-07, 12:31 AM
I made a donation ages ago, when i first joined here... wasnt much. I will probably make another on the initial release date.

im counting down the days!

:rock:

looks like i work that week though :damn:

Fenris_Wolf
11-22-07, 01:01 AM
I would have donated weeks ago. Trouble is that I, and a great many other people that I know of, can't register to Paypal. :down:

bookworm_020
11-22-07, 01:04 AM
I'll donate when it's released. Not just for the game, but because of Neal's great site which has helped foster the talent for the mod that all have been waiting for.

stabiz
11-22-07, 03:39 AM
I`ll donate to get it.

Venatore
11-22-07, 05:50 AM
I have donated money (quantity withheld) each year since I joined. I donate on the anniversary of the sinking of U657. I shall deviate from my routine and give a donation with regards to the GWX whishes/idea, to which I strongly support.

ParaB
11-22-07, 08:56 AM
I'll probably do. Excellent opportunity to show my appreciation to both the modders and SubSim at the same time.

:yep:

Mikey_Wolf
11-22-07, 10:26 AM
I'll be donating. Both for myself and for Penny.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments posted here before me.

Ping Jockey
11-22-07, 01:36 PM
Will be glad to donate to this great site!!! These are few and far between now days! :up:

mr chris
11-22-07, 02:13 PM
I shall be donating to D/L as the realese date coinsides with my xmas leave. Its been a long while since i have had enough time to myself to enjoy a good length patrol without work or anything else for that matter getting in the way.
So i might as well enjoy it while i can because as soon as i get back to work in the new year i wont have a chance to play untill the end off the year again. Because of work comitments.

papa_smurf
11-22-07, 03:17 PM
I'll wait ill its available for everyone to D/L, I've paitently waited this long, so I can wait that little bit longer.

KrvKpt. Falke
11-22-07, 04:12 PM
I would have donated weeks ago. Trouble is that I, and a great many other people that I know of, can't register to Paypal. :down:

I will donate when my bank account wont be empty anymore;)
I will donate no matter if i get some goodie for it or not (thinking of GWX 2 here);
I will donate when Neal will provide us with alternative donating methods - like "pay by phone" or even "pay by SMS"; because i dont want to use my personal important information over the internet - i dont trust it that much:).

U49
11-22-07, 04:18 PM
I'll wait ill its available for everyone to D/L, I've paitently waited this long, so I can wait that little bit longer.

Same for me. Time is of REAL short supply until 15/dec. So no hurry.
Anyway, no paypal here!

U49
11-22-07, 04:19 PM

:dead: And on top time is of REAL short supply until 15/dec. So no hurry. I'm afraid i can't even finish my last 1.03 career properly.
Anyway, no paypal here!

Umfuld
11-22-07, 04:41 PM
I'm in no hurry. I just started a career in 1944 - I wanted to try the VIIC/42.

Amazingly it's the first time I've started a career in late war. I have almost no expirence with advanced ASW. So I could do this for the next year and it would still all be pretty new to me.

Stealth Hunter
11-22-07, 05:49 PM
Not going to donate. Don't have PayPal, and also I don't like the idea of having to pay a week before the release.

That's a ballsy move for them to make, and it can kill a mod's reputation quickly, despite how the request for donations may be worded.

ref
11-22-07, 06:34 PM
Not going to donate. Don't have PayPal, and also I don't like the idea of having to pay a week before the release.

That's a ballsy move for them to make, and it can kill a mod's reputation quickly, despite how the request for donations may be worded.

You've got it wrong, the donations are to help subsim maintenance, we DON'T recieve any of the money, we made this mod because we love the game, it was and will be free for all users, as I said before and to be perfectly clear the donations are to help Neal with the maintenance of Subsim.

And please, the next time read carefully and be sure you understand what you read before posting.

Ref

Penelope_Grey
11-22-07, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Assuming all is well following the final installer tests, we hope to release GWX to Subsim.com on a donations only basis for one week on or about December 9th. All proceeds will go towards the upkeep and bandwidth charges for Subsim.com.

The one-week donations period is being established as a salute to Neal Stevens and out of respect for his efforts in running Subsim.com as a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of submarine and naval simulations.
All proceeds will go to the upkeep and maintainance of Subsim.com. Subsim.com depends on the good will of its members for continued existence.
No donations will line the pockets of Grey Wolves team members or other mod contributors.
The Grey Wolves Expansion is and will remain freeware and will be made more readily available to the community at large following the one week donation period. Neal Stevens has been our benefactor on more than one occasion during the production of GWX. In my opinion, it is the least we can do.

Following the one-week donation-only download period, we hope to release GWX 2.0 to the general public on December 16th.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125476 <---- Quote source.

Stealth Hunter
11-22-07, 06:57 PM
You've misunderstood me.

I don't want the mod to die, nor the website, but offering the mod to those who donate a week early can seem unfair to others, and henceforth cause the mod's popularity to fall.

Point being, it can be dangerous to make such offers (on the sake of the future of the mod).

Penelope_Grey
11-22-07, 07:03 PM
This is simply a gesture of good will to subsim, to encourage people to contribute to the site... its not obligatory, its exactly what the Kpt. L has said... a salute to Neal Stevens and out of respect for his efforts in running Subsim.com as a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of submarine and naval simulations.

If you don't contribute, or can't or whatever reason... you will still get GWX on the general release day December 16th. :up:

Its not bribery or anything insidious... its just a way of encouraging people to spare what they can for subsim. :)

JU_88
11-22-07, 07:06 PM
Well considering the mod is developed and distributed for free, I fail to see how the donation week is dangerous, dangerous for who exactly?
All we are trying to do is help support and sustain subsim a bit, GWX 2.0 will be free (after a measly week) The running costs of this site are by no means free - just ask Neal.

If anyone thinks its unfair, then maybe they can go away and think about this little equasion? No more subsim = no more community = no more mods. End of story :huh:
Im just saying you cant always have your cake an eat it.

Stealth Hunter
11-22-07, 07:06 PM
I take it that way, and I hope others will.

Penelope_Grey
11-22-07, 07:26 PM
Im sure the majority will... this all is just a little way of giving some kudos to SS. :up:

Kpt. Lehmann
11-22-07, 07:43 PM
You've misunderstood me.

I don't want the mod to die, nor the website, but offering the mod to those who donate a week early can seem unfair to others, and henceforth cause the mod's popularity to fall.

Point being, it can be dangerous to make such offers (on the sake of the future of the mod).

Unfair?

No I think not.

You are blowing things way out of proportion and the one-week donation period will stand.

IT IS NOT FOR PROFIT!!!!!!

ALL will have access to it freely afterwards.

We've worked our tails off on it for months... a few more days won't hurt anyone ... and I PERSONALLY understand what it means exactly to have nothing in the pocket.

If you don't agree with the decisions that have been made... tough noogies.

I don't like it when you post screenies of hospital ships you sunk (while you enjoy the GWX mod) .. or reposts of screenshots that Dowly made... but hey. Tough noogies for me right?

Simply put... stop being a griefer.

Maybe if you don't like the decision to offer the GWX 2.0 mod for one measley week to help maintain a place YOU call 'home' ... you can at least respect that decision and leave it to us.

We are in a position to help repay, in a small way, some of the kindness that has been shown to us over the last couple of years... and we are going to do it.

-Ende-

d@rk51d3
11-22-07, 08:19 PM
Just made a donation a few weeks back, so I'll probably wait. Unless my wealthy Aunt dies and leaves me a load of cash.................

...........oh, hang on. I don't have a wealthy Aunt.:)

Awwwww, who am I kidding? I'm sure I can scrape a few measly bucks together.:D

Lofar
11-22-07, 08:55 PM
I'll donate and download.

Kpt. Lehmann
11-22-07, 11:01 PM
Make no mistake guys.

I understand painfully well, about how woefully absent money can be at the worst of times.

If you cannot donate, you aren't being left out. Its only one week that we are talking about.

For those that can donate to keep Subsim running straight and true... it will be accepted with gratitude. Subsim.com depends on the good will of its members for continued existence.

Be at peace guys. We'll deliver the goods as we have time and time again. All ya gotta do is be patient.:cool:

Zero Niner
11-22-07, 11:23 PM
I'll probably donate. I appreciate forums such as these, and I make it a point to contribute occasionally to help the owner with the costs of running the server.
I note that there is no amount stated, which is good so that those inclined to donate can do so according to the dictates of their wallet. :)

Personally, I have no problems with the scheme. I think it's a good move by the GWX team to give something tangible back to Subsim.

mr chris
11-23-07, 04:38 AM
God what is the fuss with people here it is one week yes ONE WEEK!! Extra you have to wait if you dont donate.
It's nots as if the world is going to end for christ sake.

3Jane
11-23-07, 04:50 AM
how do you know

GoldenRivet
11-23-07, 10:04 AM
God what is the fuss with people here it is one week yes ONE WEEK!! Extra you have to wait if you dont donate.
It's nots as if the world is going to end for christ sake.

Plus it will give players a chance to play, review and critique 2.0. That way players a week down the road know what sort of changes to expect.

Looking at my schedule I will be out of town the week of the 8th of December so I may have no choice but to wait.

I think it is important to consider that whether you donate or not makes little difference, support of this community comes in many ways. Be it showing a helping hand to a newbie, developing a mod or skins, or posting engaging subject matter in the forums.

I have enjoyed sh3 and Rub and Trigger maru and GWX... And i cant wait to get my hands on 2.0

mengle
11-23-07, 10:55 AM
out respect four gwx team i like to donate but Don't have PayPal is there other way? (SORRY FOUR MY ENGLISH I'M FROM BELGIUM)

melnibonian
11-23-07, 10:59 AM
out respect four gwx team i like to donate but Don't have PayPal is there other way? (SORRY FOUR MY ENGLISH I'M FROM BELGIUM)
Send a PM to Neal Stevens the forum owner and moderator and he can help you with that

Dowly
11-23-07, 11:05 AM
You dont have to have an PayPal account to be able to donate, just click the 'Make A Donation' button and fill out the details. :up:

Penelope_Grey
11-23-07, 11:14 AM
Does it take Debit cards?

Peto
11-23-07, 11:31 AM
Let's see. Hmm. A products true 1st release and trial run is the critical test (ie public beta) and I would be donating to a person (albiet one of impecible moral standing) that isn't actually on the production staff (GWX). In most situations I would balk at this.

But this is subsim and the GWX Team has earned my (our) respect and thanks. If they choose to support Neal with their work by volunteer donation, all I can say is: Never have so few done so much for subsim enthusiasts!

Count on my support!

:up:

danlisa
11-23-07, 12:05 PM
Let's see. Hmm. A products true 1st release and trial run is the critical test (ie public beta) and I would be donating to a person (albiet one of impecible moral standing) that isn't actually on the production staff (GWX). In most situations I would balk at this.

But this is subsim and the GWX Team has earned my (our) respect and thanks. If they choose to support Neal with their work by volunteer donation, all I can say is: Never have so few done so much for subsim enthusiasts!

Count on my support!

I agree 100% with this post.

However, LOL. Personally, I would be more inclined to donate/contribute based on a products history of performance.

If someone asked me to donate to Subsim when GWX was first released, I would have laughed at them. Why donate when you don't know what the end product is all about, this time you know what to expect.

However, this is the Grey Wolves' swan song. There is no more official team mod after 2.0 so the least we could do is thank the person & place that made the team possible and allowed us to develop the tools & know how to accomplish what we did.

We thank the members of Subsim (and all other SH3 users) for thier continued support & words of encouragement by making the mod.

We thank Neal (who has done a lot behind the scenes for the GW Team) & Subsim by giving people the opportunity/incentive to contribute when normally they wouldn't.:up:

On a personal note, now that I know that Paypal is not a requirement to donate, I shall dust off my CC at the next opportunity (I'm not donating to get GWX (already got it:p) but to support Neal).

Long Live Subsim.

Peto
11-23-07, 12:09 PM
However, LOL. Personally, I would be more inclined to donate/contribute based on a products history of performance.

Well, I've chosen not to edit my previous post even though this comment is spot on.

melnibonian
11-23-07, 12:25 PM
Does it take Debit cards?
It does Penny. It accepts maestro, visa and a few others.

bigboywooly
11-23-07, 01:21 PM
You dont even need a credit\debit card
Can be linked to your bank account as well to fund payments

Thats how I use it not having nor wanting a credit card

Onkel Neal
11-23-07, 01:26 PM
I appreciate Kpt. Lehmann and the GWX team's help with allowing the mod to be a one week donation download. Right now times are pretty difficult for me financially. I have twins in college, one studying architecture and one studying psychology, and if you think that's easy to finance, try it! :) Each month I write a check for $85 to $460 to my server provider, depending on how many donations I've received and the Amazon and Google checks. When I can afford it, I don't worry about this much.

Back when the Pacific Aces mod was released as a donation download only mod, it generated more money than the cost of running the website, so for a couple of years, we were covered. But no one plays SH2 anymore and the PA mod rarely gets downloaded. (Plus, after this long, it should be free anyway.)

Subsim has grown each year since 1997 and keeping it online is not free. We run with minimal advertising, and I try to avoid the most intrusive type of ads (the ad screen page, inline search links, popups). In the past, I received a generous commission from games sold through Chips and Bits, but they stopped their affiliation program. Amazon pays only 6.5% and most of the people who visit these forums daily are totally unaware that when they buy games and DVDs, power tools, computer parts, etc through Amazon, that they could help Subsim buy using the Subsim Amazon search box (http://www.subsim.com/store.html)as a starting point. But they type in AMAZON.COM and nothing comes of it.

In the history of this website, there have been some really great people step up to the plate and help out. Typically the Internet is flooded with cheap bastards who like to complain, but Subsim has been very fortunate, our crowd has raised money for cancer vitims, the tsunami crisis, for the Project Messerwetzer SH3 MP Patch, and general website-related expenses. In the last few months, I've been surprised with several Overlord donations, which is really uplifting.

mr chris
11-23-07, 01:46 PM
Aye me and Neal have not always seen eye to eye on everything but he is spot on with what he has posted above.

If a person or a group of people or a Mod team deside to make a gesture to help out the site that we all call home. We should be praising them not having a pop at them.

Kpt, Otto
11-23-07, 02:17 PM
One way or the other I will be donating. This furum has done a lot for me just by being around.

And the GWX team / Mod has changed my game experiance beyond words producing a briliant mod. I very much appreciate all the hard work that they have put into it.

The best and least I can do is donate as often as I can, when I can afford to.

Good hunting!

:sunny:

Rotor
11-23-07, 02:40 PM
Donate and help the community :up:
Get Gwx 2.0 fast.

A win win situation!

Tsavo
11-23-07, 02:51 PM
I have new message

From Privateer:
"I'll be chipping in.
I help here at home with many good causes and I'll tell you this.
1000 people, donateing 1 dollar each = $1000 dollars!!!
500 people, giveing 5 bucks? $2500 dollars!!
100 at 10 bucks = $1000.
EVERY little bit helps!
I don't need to donate for the D/L but come Monday nite,
I'm going $50.
And that is an early donation.
Lets call it dues paid for just being allowed to read posts.
If you can't donate, fine!
I, for one, will never put you down in anyway.
So to put it in a short way.
Give if you can,
wait a week if you can't.
GWX 2.0 is still free no matter how or when you get it!!

Privateer"

End message

I too donate!

Penelope_Grey
11-23-07, 03:33 PM
So if me and my bro donate? does that mean we can have custom avatars AND a copy of GWX? :lol:

Peto
11-23-07, 03:49 PM
So if me and my bro donate? does that mean we can have custom avatars AND a copy of GWX? :lol:

I suppose that depends on the Avatar :hmm:!

:lol:

Samwolf
11-23-07, 04:04 PM
....most of the people who visit these forums daily are totally unaware that when they buy games and DVDs, power tools, computer parts, etc through Amazon, that they could help Subsim buy using the Subsim Amazon search box (http://www.subsim.com/store.html)as a starting point. But they type in AMAZON.COM and nothing comes of it.

:damn: :damn: I was "one of those people" no longer, all my Amazon shopping (actually my wife keeps Amazon in business) will be through Subsim from now on.

U49
11-23-07, 06:55 PM
....most of the people who visit these forums daily are totally unaware that when they buy games and DVDs, power tools, computer parts, etc through Amazon, that they could help Subsim buy using the Subsim Amazon search box (http://www.subsim.com/store.html)as a starting point. But they type in AMAZON.COM and nothing comes of it.

:damn: :damn: I was "one of those people" no longer, all my Amazon shopping (actually my wife keeps Amazon in business) will be through Subsim from now on.

:oops: me 2
Will change!! :yep: I did never know :dead:

kiwi_2005
11-23-07, 07:34 PM

I can't register with paypal, this the reason why i never brought the almanic book or offer donations, although yrs ago i sent money for the SH2 pack which included Aces and Pacfic Aces campaigns which is still one of the best modes ever to come out - i now used the PA campaign sound files for SH4 :) Having said that i could send a donation in a envelope:hmm:

Have no aim to install GWX 3 but i will be watching this place and no doubt i probably will end up reinstalling SH3 and DLing GWX :lol:

marv2112
11-25-07, 01:34 AM
I will be giving another donation. I want to show appreciation for the hard work that the GWX team has done. I only put togather one mission so far (It WAS FUN), & it took hours of time! I can't imagine how many manhours were donated to this project. If it was a "for sale" item I'd buy it, but quite frankly I'd rather donate the $ to subsim! Just my 2 cents.
Also, I'd like to say that I am indebted to Subsim and this online community quite abit. Though I do not post often, I DO READ IT OFTEN. As we all know, the user manual that comes with SH3 is... a tad sparse.... LOL. If is was not for you folks here @ Subsim, I would not know most of the things I do about SH3. I'm certainly happy to help keep the place going. Lastly, I'd like to add that I also did not know about the Subsim Amazon Searchbox! I have it bookmarked for use now, though.

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 03:26 PM
Downloading would be useless for me, because I can't play right now anyway.

When I have a bank account again, I plan on donating anyway. A lot.

It'll all balance out in the end.:sunny:

Jimbuna
11-25-07, 05:43 PM
It's in all our interests to support SS if we are able, FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL. :rock:

An early copy of GWX 2.0 is just a bonus/icing on the cake :up:

Mush Martin
11-25-07, 05:48 PM
This is so totally righteous, Good call team.
M

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
11-25-07, 07:15 PM
cant donate :cry:
doe's Neal live in Europe ? :hmm:

Wilcke
11-25-07, 08:01 PM
Yes!

Wilcke

Cap'n Spanky
11-26-07, 10:28 AM
It's in all our interests to support SS if we are able, FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL. :rock:

Ditto... and you'll see the register ring with my part!

Thanks to Neal, Subsim Community and the GWX Team and all the modders who have made SHIII what it is.

Jimbuna
11-26-07, 11:18 AM

Ditto... and you'll see the register ring with my part!

Thanks to Neal, Subsim Community and the GWX Team and all the modders who have made SHIII what it is.

Rgr that mate :up: