PDA

View Full Version : some newbie questions...

Manucubus
11-20-07, 09:09 PM
i just started SH3 with GWX 1.3 and am impressed by the realism (not like Aces where you can sink a ship with just one lucky hit by the deckgun...).
I already went through alot threads here in the forum but there are still alot questions open that i want to post here in the hope they are not too stupid:

1) i know you get a penalty for sinking neutral ships...is there a rule (like 50% of their renown when you sink them as enemy ships)?
2) do you also suffer penaltys when damaging neutral ships?
3) has anybody ever sunk a hospital ship? What tonnage do they have and what penalty did you get?
4) what renown do you approximately get for reaching your search area and how much for being there for 24 hours?
5) is there somewhere a list of torpedos / UBoat upgrades and when they are available?
6) is there a list of maximal dive depths for the different boats? I know that i got crushed with my undamaged early VII in 1939 at 165m...dont want to repeat that
7) is there a possibility to get SH3&GWX1.3 less graphic intense? i already switched of the event camera...
8) (most important) how to use the magnetic pistol in torpedos without(!) manual targetting?

lol, i think thats it for the beginning...thanks in advance for reading it :)

Capa
11-20-07, 09:28 PM
You can change the depth of a torpedo without breaking into manual TDC settings. Everything above the bottom row of dials (pistol, salvo, tubes, running speed, depth) has to be set by you wether you're using auto TDC or not.

Nerazzurri
11-20-07, 09:50 PM
Manucubus,

you'll find the answer to your patrol grid renown here http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php?title=Renown.

Dive depths you'll find in-game by hitting F1 for the help pages.

Just my opinion, although it is shared by quite a few others, on the magnetic pistols is - forget them! I'm going for impact only now, although that might change if I make through a year or two if I see an improvement in them.

And lastly, this is a great place to start for info http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you're new, like me, read this. Anything you don't get in here, search the forum. And if you don't get what you need - post it, people will help you.

Regards, Gavin.

GoldenRivet
11-20-07, 10:26 PM
ill try to answer what few questions i can

1) i know you get a penalty for sinking neutral ships...is there a rule (like 50% of their renown when you sink them as enemy ships)?

i believe you are penalized for the full renown value of the ship

2) do you also suffer penaltys when damaging neutral ships?

I think you are only penalized for SINKING neutral or friendly ships... not damaging them

3) has anybody ever sunk a hospital ship? What tonnage do they have and what penalty did you get?

There have been a few SH3 GWX users who have sunk hospital ships, but according to the GWX manual there is a massive renown penalty... i dont recall what the penalty is, but i have heard of cases where the skipper saw a renown level that was many thousands of points in the negative... it would take a career FULL of perfect missions to get back up to ZERO renown. The GWX dev team put hospital ships in the game to add to the realism and to have them be respected... they are considered untouchable and sacred and it is a sort of subsim blasphemy to sink them.

Answers to questions 4 and 5 are in the GWX manual and the SH3 manual avalable in the documentation folder in your SH3 directory

8) (most important) how to use the magnetic pistol in torpedos without(!) manual targetting?

go to the torpedo data computer screen, on the pistol selection switch change it from (I) to (M) and set the "running depth" to about one or two meters deeper than the draft of the target ship... draft can be determined by looking it up for the specific ship in the ship ID book in the periscope screen.

Capa
11-20-07, 11:31 PM
Personally I love magnetic triggers. That's only due to the fact that they've never failed me, they feel like they pack far more punch. Don't hesitate to try them and see if they're good for you. Stick to calm weather though, I use them when the sea is calm at about 0.5m below draft. So far I've found impact triggers bouncing off of awkward angled hull far more threatening than failed mags.

Nerazzurri
11-21-07, 05:58 AM
Personally I love magnetic triggers. That's only due to the fact that they've never failed me, they feel like they pack far more punch. Don't hesitate to try them and see if they're good for you. Stick to calm weather though, I use them when the sea is calm at about 0.5m below draft. So far I've found impact triggers bouncing off of awkward angled hull far more threatening than failed mags.

OK you've convinced me to try them again LOL I'm sure I'm going to regret it :damn: Last night I did a patrol in a IIa where I got 6 detonations (100%, and that was in very rough seas, sinking four for 13616 tons; As I said in other post - I know it's 0% realism but we're only talking about the torp pistol here) - I'm just not seeing that reliability from the magnetic pistols just now. Although like I said I realise that could be a temporary situation.

But yeah, I'll give them another go. I've not tried them as shallow as 0.5 metres below draft before, so maybe that'll make a difference. I hope you convert me, because I'd like to make use of any feature.

If it's not successful, and it costs me tonnage I won't be pleased Kaleun :nope: LOL

Nerazzurri
11-21-07, 06:10 AM
On the hospital ship question, I stole lifted this from another thread -

Just a word of warning...

It is set in the game that if you sink that hospital ship you will loose 10,000 renown points and wont gain anything.So I would think long and hard about it.

So be lucky that ship did not sink Keelbuster.

This is from the Hospital Ships config file..

[Unit]
ClassName=NHOS
UnitType=103
MaxSpeed=18
Length=167
Width=12.3
Mast=37
Draft=7.5
Displacement=12000
RenownAwarded=-10000

Notice the -10,000 renown..

Brag
11-21-07, 07:59 AM
Yuo may want to read the article on magnetic torpedoes on my Kielman webbie. :D

Don't even dream of sinking hospital ships, it's a war crime. :nope:

STEED
11-21-07, 09:34 AM
i just started SH3 with GWX 1.3 and am impressed by the realism

GWX 2.0 is almost here can you feel the tension on the forum. :lol:

Capa
11-21-07, 12:10 PM
Yuo may want to read the article on magnetic torpedoes on my Kielman webbie. :D

Don't even dream of sinking hospital ships, it's a war crime. :nope:

Those settings are way different to what I had thought were best, but I'll try them. You make a good point though, they're great for "chasing" a ship from a bad angle if you miss or something.