PDA

View Full Version : a couple of interesting questions

StarTrekMike
11-18-07, 08:27 PM
I have tried to ask this at the Xbox forums but most of the kids on that are not experienced enough to really give me a complete answer.

I am about to board a plane from Arkansas to Boston so I can go home to Vermont, I will be bringing my PC tower so I can play Silent hunter while I wait for my passport so I can fly to england and join my wife...will I have problems bringing my PC tower as checked baggage?...I took out the screws on the case on one side so I can open it up for them if need be, I also called the airport and they said it really should not be a problem...but would that change from airport to airport.

Also I am bringing my Xbox 360 in my small carry-on suitcase while leaving the wiring in a checked bag...will this present a problem?...I know it is a fragile piece of equipment and I don't want handlers to throw it around (my PC could take it).

the things I go through to play silent hunter eh?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

TarJak
11-19-07, 01:49 AM
FYI, I work for an airline and I've double checked with some of the airport guys. You should wrap your PC well in bubble wrap and a good solid box or case. Do not leave it open! Taking your Xbox as carry on luggage should be no problem from a security perspective as long as you don't have any explosives or other contraband concealed in it. ;)

The only potential problem may be if the PC is water/liquid cooled. You may have to drain the tank and tubes before flying and then refill it when you set it up at your destination.

The only other issue may be if you are flying with a carrier that has a weight/bag number limit for carry on. To get a definite answer you should contact the airline you are travelling with and check what their weight limits etc are. It may cost a bit more in excess baggage so best to check with them.

StarTrekMike
11-19-07, 03:30 AM
I do not really have access to anything that allows me to really wrap up the case or anything and I am 100% sure that my PC will hold up to the worst of the abuse the can happen to it...I built it pretty tough.

I do not have any liquid cooling or anything...I would if I had the money but thankfully I have not gotten that far yet.

if it does sustain any damage I will not freak out because I am bringing it home to upgrade it and put it in a smaller ATX style case as opposed to my large midtower case.

The suitcase I have it in is pretty darn snug to say the least...I still wedged some clothes in all the open areas to prevent any possible movement and I taped up the unscrewed side panel so that I can quickly open it if need be.

I am not worred about the baggage weight either...I am underweight on all my bags and I only have one carry-on and two checked bags.

I hope this flight goes well and I get everything home okay...it will be good to play silent hunter again with that wonderfull cold weather outside :)

Thank you so much for your insight...it really eases my mind.

Peace out

Mike

3Jane
11-19-07, 05:27 AM
Having seen some documentaries about baggage handlers, I wouldn't risk it unless it was in an armoured box. Is it possible to remove the hard drive and cards and mb for packing and transport, and buy a case when you arrive. I'm nervous with cases being handled through airlines let alone a computer unless it's a laptop which I can carry with me. Check you hand luggage allowance :D

TarJak
11-19-07, 05:35 AM
If you can't pack it I'd be concerned. It should be no drama if properly packaged with cushioning. The shocks and bumps from baggage handling may be enough to kill it and I wouldn't want to take that risk if it were mine.

Brag
11-19-07, 06:54 AM
Good luck and have a great trip. :D

StarTrekMike
11-22-07, 05:51 PM
I should have listened and just sent the computer to me...the TSA inspectors (butchers) completely trashed my computer in a way that looked more like wonton destruction and less like a search for explosives...if this was a fair world they would be held responsible for the excesive damage and I could sue them, but it is not a fair world and they get away with murder.

I know now that bringing a full tower as checked baggage is just inviting the sadistic search techniques of the TSA guys.

Don't bring your computer tower as checked baggage...they will intentionaly trash it.

Mike

bookworm_020
11-23-07, 12:02 AM
Ouch! :doh: At least they didn't pull the rubber gloves on and ask you to step into a side room!:rotfl:

Badger Finn
11-23-07, 04:13 PM
Score a lap top for xmas perhaps?

:hmm:

StarTrekMike
11-25-07, 06:38 PM
It is not a big loss however, my parents are going to help me rebuild it and then ship it to me when I go to england.

Mike

Sailor Steve
11-25-07, 06:50 PM
Go to a local box store; bubble wrap is cheap. Wrap it in bubble wrap, wrap that up in soft clothes, and put the whole thing in a hard-shell suitcase. It should be fine.

GoldenRivet
11-25-07, 07:44 PM
I deal with TSA on a regular basis... every day nearly.

As a flight crew member, i can assure you that TSA will always give you problems about a PC tower going through security, in fact im almost certain they will require you to check it, which i would be extremely hesitant to do if i were to take mine.

Your best bet is always a lap top but not everyone has those.

good luck with the repairs