PDA

View Full Version : Help - new to XXI

dmlavan
11-17-07, 02:24 AM
I've started my first patrol in a XXI. I must say it takes some getting used to the differences between these and the old VIIC.

My challenge is getting to the patrol area from Bergen. Travelling on the surface, I'm constantly diving to avoid aircraft. However, at snorkel depth and speed (~5kts), I'm also constantly being attacked by aircraft when I have my snorkel up. Most times the only indication I have of aircraft is when the depth charges are in the water.

How do you get to your patrol area - stay underwater on batteries most of the time and only surface when you need to recharge - and do so at high speed? Or is there a better way ?

-SWCowboy.
11-17-07, 02:34 AM
You'll run faster and farther with the snorkel down on the XXI. That boat is slower on the surface than it is underwater, and it's a lot more powerful under the waves too :cool:

Torplexed
11-17-07, 06:50 AM
That's the tragic thing about the Type XXI. By the era in which it finally becomes available the skies have become so dark with Allied aircraft. Snorkel to recharge your batteries, but do so at low time compression because as you've seen, Allied airborne radar can pick up your snorkel mast but you can't detect their signals at that depth. You're safest of course, when running deep on the batteries alone. Another option might be to recharge on the surface with decks awash. Then you're getting the best of both worlds. You'll be slow but you'll have some radar detection and a quicker crash dive.

silentwayIII
11-17-07, 03:24 PM
If your driving the XXI after sept-oct 44 you will get a rwr placed on top of the snorkle. This device will give you a contact range of 5-7km...more than enough to lower the snorkle and dive to 25-40 mters just in case an aircraft tries to drop something on you.

Without the rwr device you will have to travel with the snorkle raised and in real time with the external camera moving along with you so you will be able to hear aircraft when they are, unfortunately very near. When you hear aircraft, lower the snorkle quickly, set speed to standard and get down to 40-50 meters. They will, in most cases drop bombs/depth charges on your old position so moving away from from where you lowered the snorkle has to be done quickly.

Hope this helps.

SilentwayIII