PDA

View Full Version : U869

flag4
11-15-07, 04:41 PM
hi hunters

i followed this story about six months ago. i wish i was only just discovering it now.

go to www.u869.com (http://www.u869.com)

if you know nothing about this mystery, you're in for a treat.

Seaman Staines
11-15-07, 05:35 PM
I recently read the book, "Shadow Divers", which tells the story of the discovery of U-869. I understand they're filming a movie based on the book as well. A pretty incredible (and lucky) find considering it was believed to have been sunk near Gibralter. Pretty surprising what you can find in places you'd never expect.

Check this for another surprise from WWII: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/15/wplane115.xml

baggygreen
11-15-07, 06:21 PM
So is there any evidence of its mission, or anything as to how it was sunk? Should it have been at gibraltar where it was thoguht to have been sunk? If so, why was it near New Jersey? Or, should it have been there and what was sunk at the Gib?

Seaman Staines
11-15-07, 06:54 PM
She was originally assigned to patrol the east coast of the US, but was reassigned to Gibraltar enroute. Apparently, the orders were never received. She was assumed to have received the orders but not confirmed them. US naval records from the time indicate an unidentified U-Boat sunk by warships near her reassigned position at Gibraltar, so historians just assumed it was U-869 and closed the case. Until the wreck was found and positively identified off the coast of New Jersey in 1997 nobody bothered to question it.

Stealth Hunter
11-15-07, 11:07 PM
Baby Day Book Entry (Last Entry by Helmuth Neuerburg)

Stettin
November 3rd 1944

http://www.richiekohler.com/u869/images/Neuerburg/small/Neuerburg%205s.JPG
Dear Jurgen,

Our little pet has become a real Jurgen, I mean a real rascal, whose head is full of every possible prank. In your very own way you assert yourself in this world and throw a huge tantrum if you don't get your way. Of course, now and then you get a little spank, after which you plan your revenge that is mostly directed at your poor little sister. Then you also want to smash houses and many other things. In spite of all that you are very forgiving and soon you forget your troubles again. Gradually, you are also becoming independent. The world of your nursery and yard are becoming too small for you, so that you often end up in places where you shouldn't be.

Slowly but surely you are becoming big Jurgen. When it becomes necessary to defend your self with fists, you can hit pretty hard and don't shy back from stronger opponents. Then you hit real hard with your little fists till your parents separate the fighting roosters.

At the moment you, mommy and Jutta are here with me in Stettin where my boat is being readied for departure. We are living at the Yacht club where the river Oder flows past right in front of the house and you can see a lot of ships. You especially like the shuttle boat that your daddy takes to work. You would like nothing more than to come along with me and then when you have to stay behind you scream. When daddy comes home from duty at night, mommy already waits by the water with you two little mud puppies to say hello. We can also sail here and then you love to work with the lines and use only technical terms. Your vocabulary is quite huge already and especially at night when you are supposed to go to sleep you tell us complete cock-and-bull stories so you can stay up longer. A few days ago, mean "Tommy" (English) dropped a lot of bombs and it was very loud. You were very quiet and you hid your little head under mommy's coat. Jutta used to laugh during explosions but she too was very still. It was a terrible night and as you said, many houses were destroyed. In our house too there was a terrible mess. Since then you don't like to sleep alone any more and you want to go nighty-night with mommy. Even you, my little rascal, are becoming a little aware of this terrible war.
Soon, daddy will have to go out to sea with his U-Boat and our most ardent hope is that we will all see each other again soon at home in good health and in peaceful times. Then hopefully you will again wait for me with mommy and Jutta and cry out in a happy voice. "Mommy, there comes daddy!"

May this time not be very far away. May a protecting hand keep you my dear ones from terrible things, protect and shield you till a sunny and carefree time reunites us again. Then the sun will shine again on you, my children, and especially on your parents who live only with and for you and indescribable happiness will make our life again worth living.

With much love,

Daddy

flag4
11-16-07, 10:39 AM
you can get the documentary on dvd, its called HITLER'S LOST SUB.

it's two hours long.

narrated by Roy 'Jaws' Schieder.

i got mine from Amazon.

i wont tell you any more - cuz it will spoil it for you.

though i must say, the book is a crackin' page turner. i didnt stop reading it - literally, i read will i cooked i read it on the way to work - at work, on the loo, while the kettle boiled, as i fell asleep - and picked it up again in the morning....

does this sell it !! :up:

Kptlt. Neuerburg
11-16-07, 11:44 AM
Theres also a large amount of information at www.uboat.net (http://www.uboat.net). Also the the U-869's capitans name is also my username.