PDA

View Full Version : TC and calculations question

PapaG39
11-15-07, 01:55 PM
This is about the 5th time that I have been given a contact message of a convoy in such & such an area & a large gray box appears.

I measure my distance & put a heading out from the convoy & start an intercept.
I have NEVER found one yet.
this last one was just 230km from my position and I had plenty of time to make the intercept.

What I am wondering is: By using the TC (I use 8-128 max) will it make things change time and or their course?

I am fully aware that the convoy can and usually will change course...
I have taken that into consideration.

I have gotten to an area and even used the camera view & went in every direction at fast forward for 5 minutes, but I see nothing.

My question is: When you use the TC can/does it change the outcome of where the ships will be as to compaired to where they would be if you had not used the TC for your movement?

Please forget the fact that the ships can and do change course and or speeds into this question...Also, today is a clear calm day...I mean, no waves, wind, rain, fog or anything to hamper anything....

robj250
11-15-07, 02:44 PM
I'm not really quite sure what you main question is.

As for using TC to intercept your convoy, it also causes the convoy to travel at the same TC. So I never approach a convoy at anything greater that 128 and when I am part way there I will start cutting down the TC until I'm at the point where I figure the intercept should take place.

I never use the NAV MAP to calculate my intercept. I draw a course through the convoy square on the NAV MAP using the ruler, begin at the "tail", through the square and on through their course line, capture the map and print it out and do my calculations on the printed page, to determine what is the best point to intercept, then I restart the game (from the saved game) and follow the course and speed that I calculated.

I've only missed a couple convoys because they changed course.

Take into consideration that convoys do sometimes zig-zag.

Happy hunting.

Rob

P.S. There is an excellent tutor on plotting and intercepting at
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88961&highlight=Hunt

PapaG39
11-15-07, 04:09 PM
I don't know how else to word it other then:

When you use the TC (fast forward) can/does it change the outcome of where the ships will be as to compared to where they would be if you had not used the TC for your movement?

Lzs von swe
11-15-07, 04:52 PM
No, using Tc does not change were the ships end up when you go back to no Tc.

The Sh3 game engine will filter out the presence of ships and planes, the higher Tc the less units. Only thing I can think of would be if you use high Tc while intercepting and the game then recalculates the presence of ships you could get random results regarding what ships their are. But the convoy follows its planned course.
Maybe Bigboy can explain this better?

Brag
11-15-07, 06:39 PM
Using TC will not affect convoy travel. But use TC128 or less as with faster TC there could be a "Skip".

To intercept convoys, plan your intercept as close to the reported position as possible. You mention convoys at 200+ Kms. away, by the time you get to intercept point (if convoy is not heading your was) the convoy could have changed course several times. Sometimes, it takes some dashing about to find it.

If you can guess what the convoy destination is, you can average it's course.

Often, finding a convoy can be a frustrating experience.

Alyebard
11-16-07, 02:48 AM
You can also try to plot your intercept course with this

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=116572

http://xl-logic.com/mobo/badges/mobologo64x64.png is an awesome tool. :up:

PapaG39
11-16-07, 03:50 PM
I gave up trying to find the first convoy and started for the SW tip of Ireland when Bdu gave me another convoy sighting...this time I found the dang thing. It was only an 188km intercept distance this time.
It is big & has two flowers aft & a Black Swan leading the way.

I'm in a IID and only had four torpedos left so I let the Swan pass & went in to shoot my three torps. I shot at a large cargo & a Whale ship & then another ship went right in front of my next shot & he was only 250m away so I got all screwed Up and spent to long trying to get off my third shot & that dang Flower on my side of the convoy picked me up. I waited to long & then wasted my third shot..Don't know if it glanced/missed altogether or was a dud...
Anyway I spent from 0700 until 1000 gettiing away from those rascals.. They just wouldn't go away..

I'm not much good at this convoy attack thing. To many ships. I get all confused & flustered trying to get the best shots.

Now it's bright & sunny & I am trailing the convoy at 20km hoping that damn airplane doesn't come back. I was thinking to trail it until dark & then close in from the rear & try a shot under the last large cargo in line...somewhere between those flowers who are bring up the rear.

I know a mag shot much over 1000m is prone to fail so.....
Would I be able to get that close for a tail shot or should I just try & overtake them & go in from the front?