PDA

View Full Version : Question on Understanding TDC in Manual

dmlavan
11-14-07, 10:32 PM
I've gotten fairly proficient at conducting attacks using the 90 degree method. However, while I think I understand how the TDC works I haven't had much luck attacking using anything but clsoe to 90 degrees in manual.

If I have a target centered in the periscope/UzO, and then manually enter the correct range, speed and AOB, the TDC should calculate the correct solution regardless of the relative bearing of the target to my boat, right? If I guess/interpret/calculate the range, AOB, and speed correctly it shouldn't matter what the target's relative bearing is when I fire (other than the dynamics of the eels having to turn after they leave the boat).

Now if I move the periscope AFTER I've locked in this data to the TDC, the TDC should recalculate the solution based on the target having moved relative to the original data, correct? Or am I all messed up with my understanding?

Capa
11-14-07, 11:13 PM
Is a newbie too.

Whichever way you work out the range, AOB and speed as soon as you send that data to the TDC by clicking the check mark on the notepad under all 3 it will update based on those settings. I'm fairly certain that's the case anyway. As far as I know the only time you really have to recalculate is if one of those characteristics changes, like course or speed.

Again as far as I know you don't need to have the scope locked for the TDC to work either. It's best practice to down periscope when you've collected your data for that check. If that wasn't the case though, I wouldn't know, because I always recalculate every time I raise the scope and once again before firing. If you want to know wether the TDC is working just go to it (F6) and look out for the dials moving on their own. Also if you didn't already know, there is a track on the TDC map indicating the estimated path a torpedo will make. If that looks good, it probably is.

looney
11-15-07, 11:10 AM
When you get Speed, AOB and range (where speed and AoB are most vital, range only when fring at high gyro angles), you can unlock the scope yes. And relative bearing (bearing wich the scope says I reckon?) has nothing to do with it.

Only thing of importance is that the TDC is set on AUTO! else the gyro setting isn't updated. So if you see the gyro update (under the stopwatch) your set to fire.

P.s. don't forget to open tubes.

dmlavan
11-15-07, 11:21 AM
Thanks. My understanding is correct... it's my inputs into the TDC that apparently have been incorrect :-?

Friedl9te
11-15-07, 11:35 AM
When you get Speed, AOB and range (where speed and AoB are most vital, range only when fring at high gyro angles), you can unlock the scope yes. And relative bearing (bearing wich the scope says I reckon?) has nothing to do with it.

Only thing of importance is that the TDC is set on AUTO! else the gyro setting isn't updated. So if you see the gyro update (under the stopwatch) your set to fire.

P.s. don't forget to open tubes.

I donīt admit that range is a less important issue. Firing from a Distance of 1000 instead of 2000 makes quite a big speed error.