PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit

onelifecrisis
11-14-07, 12:50 PM
Not really the place to ask this I know, sorry :oops: but I'm sure someone here will know...

My PC has a 64-bit processor. I bought the PC over 2 years ago, and wanted it to be somewhat future-proof (didn't know then whether 64-bit and/or Vista would take-off or flop).

I'm still running Windows XP (I haven't heard many good things about Vista) and I'm happy with it, except it bothers me that only "half" (not literally) of my CPU's potential is being realised. Would upgrading to Vista 64-bit actually improve the performance of 32-bit apps such as SH3, or make no difference?

Cheers
OLC

seafarer
11-14-07, 01:18 PM
This idea that 64 bit computing is inherently faster and better then 32 bit is pure FUD played up by marketing types.

The sole, single, significant advantage of a 64 bit OS on a 64 bit processor is the ability to access more then 4Gb of RAM - that's it. And unless your app can, needs to and does, access more then 4Gb of RAM, then 64 bit offers you nothing superior.

And a 32 bit app is a 32 bit app, whether running on a 64 bit processor with or without a 64 bit OS.

In fact, for most apps, unless they need access to the additional memory, running 64 bit code can present a performance hit, not a gain. I have code, compiled as both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries, and on my 64 bit dual-G5 running a 64 bit OS (OS X), the 32 bit binary will outperform the 64 bit binary (same code, just compiled differently). That is, UNLESS the app can use additional RAM - me example app is a database search program. If the database to be searched is larger then 4Gb (and my G5 has 8Gb of RAM available - an obvious necessary prerequisite in all this), the 64 bit app will win the performance comparison as it can load more of the data into RAM, while the 32 bit version has to swap data in and out as it searches.

So, in terms of SHIV, no, it will not run any differently with a 64 bit OS versus a 32 bit OS.

onelifecrisis
11-14-07, 01:21 PM
Very informative, thanks a lot! :up: :ping: