PDA

View Full Version : How to improve framerate

Mitja
11-14-07, 07:37 AM
My framerate drops severely when showing explosions or fire on ships. I want to keep all texstures and try first disabling shining effects, fire etc. I think that that is major problem, not the texture quality itself. Trying all settings is a bit time consuming so I am asking here first.

Thanks

Mitja:arrgh!:

danlisa
11-14-07, 07:52 AM
Welcome to Subsim.:up:

First, whats your system specs? CPU, RAM & GFX Card.

We might be able to tweak the AA & AF settings to improve performance.

Also, are you just playing Stock SH3 1.4b or are you using any mods?

There are a few settings available for Stock SH3 that might help. Enabling Low Textures & Reducing the Particles Settings.

Let's start with your System Specs first.;)

sasquatch
11-14-07, 12:35 PM
dan, how to use AA and AF because they're nowhere to be found on SHIII options/video menu? I have a good video card (7600GT) and can handle some better performance. Vanilla (for now...),

danlisa
11-14-07, 12:53 PM
dan, how to use AA and AF because they're nowhere to be found on SHIII options/video menu? I have a good video card (7600GT) and can handle some better performance. Vanilla (for now...),

Force the settings from the nVidia GFX control panel.:up:
You should be able to max them out.

sasquatch
11-14-07, 02:23 PM
I didn't realize that I could do that...

Mitja
11-14-07, 03:53 PM
Thanks for quick reply:up:

I have AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB RAM (256 on integrated video card). GFX card is integrated GeForce 6100 Nforce 405. I have DirectX 9.0c.

I have SH3 1.4b with latest GWX. I had problems before GWX, but not so severe. Before I had like 15 FPS when looking at burning ship, but now it got alot worse.

My settings now are all details ON & Particle density at 50%. Game resolution is standard. The problem is that I don`t understand video settings very well. I stil want to see all the textures&3d modelling, but I could live without special effects like shading, special smoke effects, reflections in the water...... Uninstalling GWX is not an option:rock:

I think GFX card is my biggest drawback, but I would like to know what should be my specs to see all the details that game offers. If HW upgrade wouldn`t be expencive i might just upgrade my computer instead of turning details off.

THX, Mitja

danlisa
11-14-07, 03:58 PM
Find yourself a decent/affordable (for you) dedicated graphics card. It is pulling your system down.

SH3 is a CPU & GFX system hog. You are more than OK in the CPU department but your intergrated GFX is hurting you, a lot.:yep:

Sort out the GFX Card and you could run GWX with all the bells & whistles with no slowdown at all.

Mitja
11-14-07, 04:34 PM
I don˙t play games alot, but WWII subs are my weak spot:arrgh!:
That is the reason why I went cheap on GFX:oops:
I hoped for an answer like this, I`ll start looking now.

THX, :up:
Mitja

Capa
11-14-07, 05:37 PM
I get lower FPS than you and I'm not too worried. I must have low standards. :oops:

The only things you can really change though are particles and textures. Particles governs explosions, debris, spray and things like that. The lower it is, the less "blowy uppy" things will look, and the less smoke you'll see. Low textures looks pretty grubby if you're picky, but I think it's fine. I only miss it when looking at other ships, which look lovely on high textures.

CapitanPiluso
11-15-07, 10:14 AM
I didn't realize that I could do that...
If you open Nvidia control panel, you can fix your video settings for each different game you play and save them for later use.:yep:

Mitja
11-15-07, 04:23 PM
I lowered particle density to 10%. It is OK now, but I am stil upgrading my comp.
THX, Capa

Mitja
11-17-07, 01:20 PM
I got GF7900 GTX and additional 1gb of ram. I have more fps than I can see:rock:

BulSoldier
11-17-07, 04:21 PM
Well i too have sometimes (in big explosions or sometimes near shore) a low fps but I think it isnt from the pc but from the game.If i am wrong (very high probability) give a advice.

Btw system specs are:

amd 3800+ x2 (dual core)
2gb ram (800 mhz)
G force 7950GT (512)