PDA

View Full Version : How deep have you gone?

Checkmate King 2
11-12-07, 08:00 PM
Below is an excerpt from the book Black May.

Numerous efforts were made by the British to determine the maximum diving depth of VIIC, the most numerous U-boat type. In 1942 RN submariners tested the captured U-570 (renames H.M.S. Graph) and found that her thick hull survived the atmospheres of pressure at 200 meters (656 feet). The deepest measurement taken by asdic during the war was 238 meters (780 feet). Gunter Hessler, who commanded U-107 until November 1941, the served on Donitz's BdU staff, wrote after the war that by summer of 1942 new Type VIICs had been strengthened to a standard of 200 meters, "which in practice meant that in an emergency they could go down to 300 meters without harm. From interrogations of U-boat prisoners the British learned that most Commanders considered 200 meters the deepest safe depth when under attack, but that "good evidence" indicated that in the summer of 1943 one boat involuntarily dived to 340 meters (1115 feet) without breaking up. Interesting is the finding that as late as easrly 1943 the maximum depth setting for British D/Cs was 550 feet. In June of that year both the D/C and asdic recorder settings would be readjusted to 750 feet.

After reading this I got to thinking; how deep have you been able to go and lived to talk about it?:lurk: :lurk:

HW3
11-12-07, 09:26 PM
I've taken an undamaged VIIC to 240M on many occasions and to 260M once and lived.

Brag
11-12-07, 09:36 PM
My grave is in 300 meters :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

TarJak
11-12-07, 10:27 PM
Get a VIIC/41 and you can go to 425m and li ve to tell the tale!:arrgh!:

NipplesTheCat
11-12-07, 10:39 PM
Made it to 400+ meters today after taking an almost direct hit to my VIIB. Flooding was too severe to make it back up but I didnt pop untill after 400 even after taking a hit to the pressure hull.

Capa
11-12-07, 11:10 PM
Just 220m by accident so far. Reflexively crash dived while in TC. It's sad when you blow tanks and the boat proceeds another 40m towards its doom before levelling out. It's one of the scariest things I've ever experienced in a video game. :huh:

Peto
11-13-07, 12:43 AM
I'm glad you qualified your question with the "and lived to tell abought it" :lol:!

285 meters IXC April 44. I figured "why not?" as I was being pursued by 3 DE's who apparently had nothing better to do :nope:. Sonar conditions were excellent (for them). After about 6 hours real-time, 2 had left and the other was out of dc's. It was a buggar but I got away.

Only to be sunk about 10 days later by a Liberator :damn:.

Chock
11-13-07, 12:53 AM
1400 - mind you it was in an Akula in Dangerous Waters:rotfl:

:D Chock

NiclDoe
11-13-07, 06:17 AM
My grave is in 300 meters :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
You meen balz is down there to?:huh: If so we are going to have a party! :p

SmokinTep
11-13-07, 07:12 AM
Well over 240 meters..........

Oberon
11-13-07, 08:14 AM
Only 100 meters so far, haven't been in deep enough waters to really go deep lately, still patrolling off Ireland.

Did collide with something (probably an uncharted sea mount) in the Firth of Clyde whilst trying to sneak into the base there, unfortunately it destroyed my forward torpedo tubes and got me stuck on the bottom at 15 odd meters for an hour or so while I had to get the flooding under control.

As if that wasn't lucky enough, after I aborted the run into the Clyde, I was spotted on the surface by an aircraft which attacked me (no damage) but then called in a Destroyer which merrily dropped a happy string of DCs directly across my foredeck.

Thought about poor U-35 and Alfrons Elric last night and decided not to go DID as usual and try again, otherwise I'll never get past the start of 1940 :lol: I'm still quite new to this sim so I want to get the hang of things.

flakmonkey
11-13-07, 08:22 AM
I hit 503 metres by accident when i interupted a crash dive and didnt notice i was sinking slowly.
At 503m my boat dissapeared, could still see inside but had no control over anything...

Im using NYGM 2.2, it has a terrible pressure damage model, my hull integrity% was still high 90s!

seafarer
11-13-07, 08:51 AM
In game, I've been to around 280m in a XXI in 1944. I think that's abot the deepest I've pushed a command so far.

:D In real life - about 3300m in the DSV Alvin (actually, just checked, officially 3511m max depth on any of my dives)

Peto
11-13-07, 08:57 AM
:D In real life - about 3300m in the DSV Alvin

That's a little deeper than the 20 feet depth I've made while snorkelling :hmm:...

Lible
11-13-07, 09:46 AM
389 meters in a XXI. I was :smug: :arrgh!: :88) :sunny: when I got up.

"which in practice meant that in an emergency they could go down to 300 meters without harm"

That's the VIIC/41, right? I've never got it that deep.. while being alive. /me is off to do some research.

Nippelspanner
11-13-07, 09:55 AM
In game, I've been to around 280m in a XXI in 1944. I think that's abot the deepest I've pushed a command so far.

Alvin? the Alvin who is diving to the Titanic and Bismark Alvin, Alvin? :huh:

To Topic: Im not sure, but I think 280 or 290 with a VIIC/41 or 42 in a SP Mission but stock SH3... shortly after release...

STEED
11-13-07, 10:02 AM
I always put it in the red from 42 on wards. :arrgh!:

If we live to tell the story I come up fast the smell is dreadful from all those soiled pants. :yep:

seafarer
11-13-07, 10:10 AM

To Topic: Im not sure, but I think 280 or 290 with a VIIC/41 or 42 in a SP Mission but stock SH3... shortly after release...

Yeah, that Alvin (I used to do hydrothermal vent biology research, in the Pacific and Mid Atlantic Ridge - back when the mother ship was the RV Atlantis II). Alvin is cert'd by the Navy for 4,500m max. operating depth (her sphere is a high purity titanium alloy, about 2" thick (http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=9915)

http://www.whoi.edu/cms/images/dfino/2007/1/v44n1-alvin-intro1en_12472_36562.jpg

Kipparikalle
11-13-07, 10:11 AM
157m, what a nasty surprise when I looked to depth meter.
This happened with IXC type.

Nippelspanner
11-13-07, 10:18 AM

Yeah, that Alvin (I used to do hydrothermal vent biology research, in the Pacific and Mid Atlantic Ridge - back when the mother ship was the RV Atlantis II). Alvin is cert'd by the Navy for 4,500m max. operating depth (her sphere is a high purity titanium alloy, about 2" thick (http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=9915)

http://www.whoi.edu/cms/images/dfino/2007/1/v44n1-alvin-intro1en_12472_36562.jpg

Cool, thx for the info! :up:

seafarer
11-13-07, 10:34 AM
Alvin is actually one of a class of 3 Navy DSV's. The others, operated by the Navy, are

DSV Turtle (http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08553.htm) and DSV Sea Cliff (http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08354.htm).

Turtle and Sea Cliff are in storage, since the Navy's focus (and funding) these days is on unmanned vehicles (ROV's = Remote Operated Vehicles). Alvin remains the property of the US Navy, but since she's operated by Woods Hole, and funded primarily by the NSF, she is still working.

panzer 49th
11-13-07, 11:09 AM
Got down to 400 meters in a IXc/40 last night after taking a direct hit from a depth charge and I survived to finish the mission and sink the ship as well:D

U49
11-13-07, 11:58 AM
I was 350m+ something in a VIIC/41 and once in a XXI in '45 and didn't need more, so I didn't care.

Easy cruisin' there :sunny:

Stealth Hunter
11-13-07, 07:31 PM
610 Meters.

Took heavy damage and began to sink quickly from flooding. I suffered that damn glitch that causes you to sink to a ridiculous depth, but I survived. The only way you can get out of it is if you head to the North Pole OR Antarctica where the supported ocean depths no longer apply if you're submerged (normally, diving here would kill you, but being so deep means it will automatically resurface you).

Of course, that still doesn't solve the problem that now we're out of fuel...

sasquatch
11-13-07, 08:49 PM
I've never gone deeper than 125m. Something about going into red on the dial gives me the creeps. I'd hate for my first career ever to end because of me being stupid and going to deep...

-SWCowboy.
11-13-07, 08:58 PM
I've never gone deeper than 125m. Something about going into red on the dial gives me the creeps. I'd hate for my first career ever to end because of me being stupid and going to deep...

My vote's with you as well, I've only gone to around 180 in the VIIC avoiding those dang C-Class destroyers... :nope:

LeafsFan
11-13-07, 10:22 PM
I lost my boat yesterday an IXB at about 260m. The hull started taking damage, and the integrity fell faster that I could surface. All this time my six year old is saying. "You dived too deep!!" over and over again.

HB

PavelKirilovich
11-13-07, 10:52 PM
In combat the deepest I've submerged is a hundred fifty metres, after taking damage to the aft portions of the pressure hull and suffering flooding in all engine spaces and the aft torpedoroom on U568, the Type VIIC of my first career. I shoved out a Kobold decoy, executed a sharp starboard turn and stopped at 180 degrees and brought speed down to two knots, then feverishly started pumping out the water on the wrong side of my hull and left all repairs until the destroyers left, thinking I had died. Then I repaired all systems I could, resurfaced after a surface-search with my periscope, and continued trying to return to base.

Test dive near the end of the war brought U-568 down to two hundred meters precisely and back up safely with nothing more than some unhappy groans at her crew.

With GWX v1.04 and my anticipated Type IX "Monsun" career, I'm forseeing some pretty deep dives. Willingly or not, I think I'll be seeing a lot of the bottom of the IO, PO, and Carribbean.

Peto
11-14-07, 02:11 AM
I lost my boat yesterday an IXB at about 260m. The hull started taking damage, and the integrity fell faster that I could surface. All this time my six year old is saying. "You dived too deep!!" over and over again.

HB

It's amazing how fast kids pick up on those subtle nuances :yep:! Maybe for your next career you should let him pick out your boat type!

:up:

Gaz2
11-14-07, 02:15 AM
I lost my VIIB at 220 meters in a bernard realated accident.

siber
11-14-07, 06:18 AM
I'm in a VIIB in 1941, and I'm regularly pushing down to 150-160m. This is the point where my 1st officer starts getting worried about "approaching critical depth" and all the sailors in the control room start getting twitchy, looking round and breathing hard.

I really love the animation detail - really adds feeling to the game... :up:

I'm saving up for a VIIC... then I'll go deeper.

U49
11-14-07, 04:41 PM

My vote's with you as well, I've only gone to around 180 in the VIIC avoiding those dang C-Class destroyers... :nope:

No worries for you. German submarines were constructed for 90m(!!!!) in a type VII.
Regulations required for 2,5 times construction safety: -> 90m x 2,5 = 225m minimum depth from factory... :rock:
Most ship yards produced with the promise to hold the limit with a little more safety (it was the production culture) ...

An now read more about the "construction" depth of a VIIC/41 or a XXI... (2,5 safetey again)

Of course for the "new" XXI they learend later from mistakes like plastic steel deformation of special parts in 180m, but these were clearly identified as mistakes.

PS: My most used sub ist VIIB or VIIC and I *always* take it down to 210m as my standard evasion manouver. When those nasty RN tin can become nasty I go deeper, just to make sure... 230... is the next level of making my nervous

-SWCowboy.
11-14-07, 05:05 PM
U49 I'll have to remember that the next time I run into a heavily defended convoy! If only my patrol coordinates would allow me to go to such depths :nope:

U49
11-14-07, 05:13 PM
U49 I'll have to remember that the next time I run into a heavily defended convoy! If only my patrol coordinates would allow me to go to such depths :nope:

It's because I'm an atlantic guy... You won't find the wreck of my sub's sitting on the continental shelf without any air.... the last test will always the one to check what the promise of the shipyard is worth of .... :dead:

-SWCowboy.
11-14-07, 05:41 PM
Just to be certain, you do this while still having 100% of your hull integrity right? :lol:

U49
11-14-07, 05:52 PM
Just to be certain, you do this while still having 100% of your hull integrity right? :lol:

Right, approved certified and returned to harbor ..... :lol:

And even with 100% reality.... no, not in the moment I prefer 90% as I want the external camera ....:rotfl:

Rhodes
11-15-07, 08:56 PM
503m but as you can see, I had 2 steel colums to suport the hull...

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3064/deepdt3.jpg

This happen when reloading a mission...weird

And the max deep in the game, playing today. Had to go to 235m to escape a party of one destroyer, two black swans and some corvertes that decide to hunt me just because I crashed their party and sunk just a liberty cargo...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1559/deep2mu6.jpg

AdlerGrosmann
11-15-07, 11:31 PM
Made it to a slight 405 meters and lived to tell the tale mate! :arrgh!: Amazed I only did it twice!

Rhodes
11-16-07, 07:53 AM
Made it to a slight 405 meters and lived to tell the tale mate! :arrgh!: Amazed I only did it twice!

:o yes! But my 503m was a kind of glitch since I could'nt move around, the game stoped but the deep meter was the only thing working and going going down...I think that 503 m is the max deep tha game allow us to go, if possible...ehehehh

AdlerGrosmann
11-18-07, 08:39 PM

:o yes! But my 503m was a kind of glitch since I could'nt move around, the game stoped but the deep meter was the only thing working and going going down...I think that 503 m is the max deep tha game allow us to go, if possible...ehehehh I also experienced a problem when I was at 405 meters..the "meter glasses" broke/busted and the lights turned on and off..and no it wasn't no Depth Charges or me hitting the bottom of the sea..probably too deep aye?:huh:

baggygreen
11-18-07, 10:02 PM
I started a career just for fun outta the med in 42, good times. Limped home after the 1st patrol after being jumped by somethin at night with a leigh light, and then 2nd patrol i ran into a task force with a carrier - first cv i've seen ingame. motored along to try get ahead, somehow i stood out amongst the massive wwaves and got taken on by 4 destroyers.

I thought of this thread and thought it was a perfect chance to test out a VIIC in mint condition... took her to 270 with nothin more than a few squeeks. not game to go much further tho

candy2500
11-19-07, 12:28 AM
I've been to 230m in my VIIB and the crew wasn't the only one twitching.

Jimbuna
11-19-07, 05:31 AM
There are a few reports/experiences of really deep dives, 500 metres being quite common. Usually in a VIIC/41 or a XXI.

Steel_Tomb
11-19-07, 08:13 AM
IIRC the deepest I've been was in the ol VIIC in 44...bloody black swans (yes...plural!:dead:) picked me up on their ASDIC. I dived to about 360m, which even then wasn't enough. I had DC's...or maybe hedgehogs hit me all over the conning tower and aft sections. Flooding was critical and within moments the hull imploded...another DiD career is over!

martin1004
11-19-07, 08:22 AM
i went over 420m with type VII something before i died due to leaks.i even posted the screenie of it in the humorous sh3 ss thread

Redbear
11-19-07, 08:09 PM
That questions reminds me of a line from the movie U-571. When the captain was asked how deep the US sub would go, he replies "Oh, she'll go all the way to the bottom if we don't stop her." I too have gone all the way to the bottom!

:yep:

sasquatch
11-19-07, 09:12 PM
The deepest I've gone in a Type IXB is 255 meters. It sure was making a lot of noise...

Jimbuna
11-20-07, 09:11 AM
That questions reminds me of a line from the movie U-571. When the captain was asked how deep the US sub would go, he replies "Oh, she'll go all the way to the bottom if we don't stop her." I too have gone all the way to the bottom!

:yep:

:roll: ...........................:lol:

Great line, not so great movie ;)

sasquatch
11-20-07, 03:20 PM
how do i dive deeper than 260m when the dial doesn't go below that?

Jimbuna
11-20-07, 03:56 PM
Press 'D'....but never in tc faster than x1 :arrgh!:

sasquatch
11-20-07, 04:29 PM

thanks

Jimbuna
11-20-07, 05:00 PM

thanks

Your welcome....I forgot to mention that you need to be moving as well. It's not like hitting 'P' whan your stationary on the surface :up:

U49
11-20-07, 07:15 PM

thanks

Your welcome....I forgot to mention that you need to be moving as well. It's not like hitting 'P' whan your stationary on the surface :up:

and ALWAYS remember to order the depth to level out at the desired depth or to rise again....

I've already paid for the fun to "just push D button" and everything will be ok :stare:

Jimbuna
11-22-07, 05:53 AM

thanks

and ALWAYS remember to order the depth to level out at the desired depth or to rise again....

I've already paid for the fun to "just push D button" and everything will be ok :stare:

What happened....did you fall asleep? :hmm:

:rotfl:

U49
11-22-07, 01:27 PM

thanks

Almost :oops:

It happend during a water bombing attack of 5 destroyers and I was enjoing my little trick to dive deeper and deeper while they dumped all their ammunition into the empty ocean in late '42 :rock:
Ooooooh, they are so predictable :lol: So as I was making screenshot with my external camera and feeeling my superiority rise with every detonation, I suddenly realized that I am deep. Too deep, to be exactly.... :dead:
So the most dangerous weapon of all times is called "Outright stupidity" :damn:

Jimbuna
11-23-07, 08:28 AM

thanks

Almost :oops:

It happend during a water bombing attack of 5 destroyers and I was enjoing my little trick to dive deeper and deeper while they dumped all their ammunition into the empty ocean in late '42 :rock:
Ooooooh, they are so predictable :lol: So as I was making screenshot with my external camera and feeeling my superiority rise with every detonation, I suddenly realized that I am deep. Too deep, to be exactly.... :dead:
So the most dangerous weapon of all times is called "Outright stupidity" :damn:

lmao :rotfl: