PDA

View Full Version : 100%

U-Cass
11-11-07, 07:00 PM
Just starting out on 100% realism. OLC's mod. Big Problem. When it's dark I find it difficult to

a) identify flag

b) calculate range/AOB (periscope depth)

how do others do this would like to see methods used :hmm:

TarJak
11-11-07, 08:07 PM
You do what a real Kaleun would have done. Shot first and asked questions later, or creep up nice and close and hope they don't see you.

AOB and speed calc etc is explained in a whole bunch of threads. Good ole manual fireing! Get OLC's new GUI cos it can actually make this task a little easier and accessible from the periscope screen.

Packerton
11-11-07, 09:28 PM
Sometimes the only way to identify a flag (if its a single merchant) is to simply get them all riled up by fireing a deck gun shell at em.

If you simply cant identify the flag outside of minimal torpedo range, simply forget about the ship.

you dont gotta take out everything you see. :up:

TarJak
11-11-07, 09:51 PM
Hey Pack why not? Sink 'em all!:arrgh!::rotfl::rotfl:

Packerton
11-11-07, 10:00 PM
If only the viable targets were set to all for a period of time as it was in Real Life :smug:

onelifecrisis
11-12-07, 06:43 AM
Hi again U-Cass

About the flags... yep, well, that's the problem with it being dark :up:

About getting the range/aob... normally, just use the range/aob finder. On really dark nights, bringing down the range/aob finder can make it impossible to actually see the target ship (because of the contrast between the two) so in those situations I suggest before lowering it you count vertical marks using the marking lines on the side of the scope, and only then lower the range/aob finder to calculate the range. If you know the convoy's course you can calculate the AOB from that - or, again, count marks using the lines on the scope.

Hope this helps
OLC

onelifecrisis
11-12-07, 06:46 AM
On topic, sort of...

In GWX IIRC I get a radio message at some point during the war telling me that it's OK to shoot neutral ships if they aren't properly lit-up.

I could be mistaken but I'm sure I remember seeing US ships sailing with UK ships in a convoy early in the war, which were not lit up.

Is my memory playing tricks? If my memory is right... can I shoot those US ships and get renown for it?

Torplexed
11-12-07, 07:05 AM
I could be mistaken but I'm sure I remember seeing US ships sailing with UK ships in a convoy early in the war, which were not lit up.

Is my memory playing tricks? If my memory is right... can I shoot those US ships and get renown for it?

I've seen this too. You do get your renown docked if you attack neutrals....even in a convoy full of legitimate targets.

onelifecrisis
11-12-07, 07:18 AM
Ah, okay, good to know... thanks Torplexed :up:

U-Cass
11-12-07, 03:48 PM
OLC. Hi Again. Since downloading your mod I have installed it. Done loads of testing, found it hard work doing everything manually. Uninstalled it...found map updates etc way to easy and missed your Brilliant HUD's. Installed it continued career and first ship I came against (pitch black night) fired 4 torps missed (my errors) went alongside and only by being within 400-700 yards tell it was a german merchant. All because it was pitch black november alongside norway!

I know I can't go back to 74% realism. At night have decided to plot course (using 3min rule) get in firing range (90% AOB) wait until spot flag then fire. (Unless you can add neutral/enemy/ours from WO that would be nice)

Where a Patrol lasted 2 evening sessions on 74%, maybe 3/4 sessions on 100%. :yep:

God knows when I hit a convoy. :o

U49
11-15-07, 05:15 PM
In RL the subs sometimes trailed a potential target for many hours until they could determine, whether it would be an authorized target or should be allowed to pass unharmed....

Puts more reality to it, if you trail and identify it in the next mornings daylight...

Otto Von Strunf
11-15-07, 05:48 PM
hey, it is easy if she dont have lights on, it is not yours, SINK HER :arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
11-15-07, 06:36 PM
In RL the subs sometimes trailed a potential target for many hours until they could determine, whether it would be an authorized target or should be allowed to pass unharmed....

Puts more reality to it, if you trail and identify it in the next mornings daylight...
Oh, sure, just be realistic!:rotfl:

Actually, I had forgotten that. You're right, they did sometimes shadow for hours until they were sure of the target.:sunny:

The Butcher
11-15-07, 08:51 PM
That's why we play Realistic not easyistic.

PapaG39
11-15-07, 09:33 PM
Just because it has the lights off you can't assume that it is an enemy. Wouldn't a German merchant also have the lights off? I believe the Brits also had a few subs out and about...

Otto Von Strunf
11-16-07, 04:22 AM
Just because it has the lights off you can't assume that it is an enemy. Wouldn't a German merchant also have the lights off? I believe the Brits also had a few subs out and about... ok i assumed that he want see enemy ships close to his land or his ships close to enemy land, when he is around britain what is chances to see german ship with no lights, 10, 15 % i will shoot:arrgh!:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
11-16-07, 05:42 AM
Hey Pack why not? Sink 'em all!:arrgh!::rotfl::rotfl:

TJ to BDU:
i just sank a brittish battleship

BDU recieves a message from the Gneisenau:
TORPEDOED AND SINKING!

:rotfl::rotfl:

PapaG39
11-17-07, 01:40 AM
Well, If I was along the coast of England/Scotland I would sink anything that came along.
If I was along the coast of Norway, I would ID the target first. could very well be a German.

If you can't see the flag just pull up along side & ask if they sprecken ze deutsche? If they shoot or tell you to "bugger off" it is very likely that they are not friendly...

It is a tough call when your all primed to kill something.
I would imagine that a lot of ships made it through just because someone wouldn't punch the button with out knowing for sure who it was..

Canovaro
11-17-07, 06:22 AM
About the flag:

Set up the attack from 5000-1000 meters. Then at the last moment, identify. If it is neutral or friendly, that is very dissapointing, but there is no other way.

You can help yourself by making the room or office you are playing in, really dark by closing the curtains or switching the lights off. That way you will see more details on the computer screen when SH3 is at night.

PapaG39
11-17-07, 01:53 PM
My computer room is totally blacked out...They call it pops cave...lol...
I have just enough light from above to read my notepad and various quick reference time/distance/speed charts that I printed out.

I can't believe I put so much time into making up quick reference charts for this game, but I did.

U-Cass
11-17-07, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. Going from map contacts on green ignore to no map contacts is a real pain (on the time side; when it turns out to be a neural), have got manual targetting nearly there (thanks to OLC's mod). I don't want map contacts on it's just to easy to do and no longer a challenge. I like the manual plotting but this Flag Spotting is the one bit thats kinda of encroaching on the 100% enjoyment factor.

PapaG39,Canovaro: Have settled on these options when playing. I also have the lights out.

If anyone can think of a way that will give me neutral/enemy/german on ID I would defintely employ that mod (bugger the realism) but I do not want map contacts on:hmm:

sasquatch
12-05-07, 03:16 PM
My computer room is totally blacked out...They call it pops cave...lol...
I have just enough light from above to read my notepad and various quick reference time/distance/speed charts that I printed out.

I can't believe I put so much time into making up quick reference charts for this game, but I did.

Mind sharring which charts you use? I just started my second career and could use some more help.