PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Das Boot?

looney
11-03-07, 08:55 AM
I'm looking to buy a copy of Das Boot. But as I look around the net I find there are several version of it. Wich 1 should I buy?

P.S. I wouldn't mind if any of you point me to other good naval movies.

I saw: In wich we serve (1942) a few months back.. real real kewl to watch such a propaganda movie.

Chock
11-03-07, 09:05 AM
I've got two versions of Das Boot, one being the extremely short version (I bought that years ago when there were no other versions available). I don't recommend this, on its own it's okay, but in comparison to more complete versions, you can see where it is lacking, in fact some references in it make little sense, as there is a lot of character exposition trimmed out of it.

The other version I have is the 'Director's Cut', that's good, but it is one of those films where you need to set aside time to watch it, as it's not exactly very short. With all that in mind, I intend to buy the original serialised version of it, that's the first version I ever saw, when it was on TV, and I think that's probably the one to have, as you can view it in manageable chunks, and see it in the episodic manner which it was originally geared towards in terms of pacing.

Don't forget Run silent, Run deep too, another classic.

:D Chock

Stierlitz
11-03-07, 09:10 AM
Definitely get the mini-series version! :up:

Redbear
11-03-07, 09:39 AM
I have two versions - the director's cut and the full-length version (made by seamlessly combining the miniseries episodes). If I was to pick only one of the two, I would pick to full length version. I think the added content adds a lot to the overall feel of the movie. Also, just a note, I have a 42" widescreen TV, and an older DVD player that outputs 480p. The director's cut is a 'superbit' DVD, while the full length version is not. In my opinion, there is much noticeable difference in quality between the two, so I wouldn't let that sway your decision. Enjoy whatever version you choose!

Redbear
11-03-07, 09:41 AM
Oops - I meant to say 'not' much noticeable difference in my reply above.

UnterseeBoogeyMan
11-03-07, 10:39 AM
There is an 'Unlimited Version' out there. I have only seen directors' cut, but I read on this board that the Unlimited is exactly that, it has everything. I posted awhile back comparing the director's cut to the book and mentioned all the scenes and details from the book that werent in the d-cut. someone replied saying that all those things were in unlimited version. if you get a chance to read the book, you'll love it

Sailor Steve
11-03-07, 12:52 PM
I intend to buy the original serialised version of it, that's the first version I ever saw, when it was on TV, and I think that's probably the one to have, as you can view it in manageable chunks, and see it in the episodic manner which it was originally geared towards in terms of pacing.
Unfortunately that's the one version you can't buy. The 'Original, Uncut Version', or in UK 'Miniseries', have, as Redbear said, the episode breaks edited out. What you get is a 4 hour and 53 minute movie.

Well worth it, just the same.

someone replied saying that all those things were in unlimited version. if you get a chance to read the book, you'll love it
That was me, but not all of the book is in the 'Uncut' version. Some things they had to leave out for the sake of good taste, for instance the whole Spanish freighter incident at the end. Still, it's far and away the best version. And I agree about the book: it's a must-read.

FIREWALL
11-03-07, 01:08 PM
I have Directors Cut and SUPERBIT Directors Cut and there is a big difference.

SuperBit is for large LCD and Surround sound systems.

Read the back of the jewel case sometime .

If my printer wasn't down right now I'd scan and post what it doe's and be able to show the difference.

And price wise it was only $25.00

Chock
11-03-07, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately that's the one version you can't buy. The 'Original, Uncut Version', or in UK 'Miniseries', have, as Redbear said, the episode breaks edited out. What you get is a 4 hour and 53 minute movie.

Is this not it Sailor Steve?:

http://www.amazon.com/Boot-Mini-NON-USA-FORMAT-Reg-2/dp/B000EIUAF8/ref=sr_1_1/002-7779039-8536867?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194115901&sr=1-1

FIREWALL
11-03-07, 02:07 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Boot-Mini-NON-USA-FORMAT-Reg-2/dp/B000EIUAF8/ref=sr_1_1/002-7779039-8536867?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194115901&sr=1-1

Darn you Chock :D I followed your link and bought UNCUT DB US FORMAT $20.00 and Iron Coffin $11.90 :D :D :D I have got to stop clicking Links. :p

Sailor Steve
11-03-07, 04:39 PM

Oh, so you lucky region 2 types can buy it from the Germans??!! How come I can't get that version? Huh? Huh?

Now I hate you all! Twice! Once for having the version I want, and once for proving me wrong! So there!:p

Actually that's pretty cool. Haven't seen that one.:sunny:

Jimbuna
11-03-07, 04:45 PM
The only version I own: http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Region-J%C3%BCrgen-Prochnow/dp/B0001NIYUO/ref=sr_1_8/103-4425811-0159034?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1194126403&sr=1-8
Would love to read the book though :yep: