PDA

View Full Version : Giving the game away???

RoyalHighlander
11-01-07, 10:58 PM
was in FuturShop tonight buying a nice 22" lcd flat screen for my comp and was really peeved to see that SH Wolves of the PAc is selling now for 19.00??? WTF I paid about 70 bucks for my so called" special edition" version that I havent even played because of the issues.. I guess word has gotten out how bad the game sucks and the only way they can sell it is to just about give it away.. Im sort of dissapointed.. Hopefully once the latest patch comes out ill load it up again and see how it runs then... but im not going to hold my breathe... And as a foot note to the probs with thuis game ive been shopping and had looked into buyin a few games that caught my eye but as soon as I saw the ubisoft name on the box I oput it right back on the shelf... I'd bet that im not the only consumer who has done this... If they only knew how much revenue they may be losing from people being turned off by lack of support or just plain no after sales service so to speak of some of thier products..It may be a long time before I ever purchase any ubisoft product..

SteminDemon13
11-01-07, 11:35 PM
Royalhighlander
"I guess word has gotten out how bad the game sucks and the only way they can sell it is to just about give it away.. Im sort of dissapointed.. Hopefully once the latest patch comes out ill load it up again and see how it runs then... but im not going to hold my breathe... And as a foot note to the probs with thuis game ive been shopping and had looked into buyin a few games that caught my eye but as soon as I saw the ubisoft name on the box I oput it right back on the shelf... I'd bet that im not the only consumer who has done this.."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I have 1.3 installed and I have no problems with the game. I'm sure you are not the only consumer who has done that, but many of us bought it and have stuck by it. To say the game lacks support is lack of knowlege. They are still coming out with patches.
Yeah, maybe they should have worked out all the bugs before release as we have all seen this with games, but at least they still support the game and aren't charging for patches. Maybe the game just isn't for you, or you have a crappy system, can't play it, are angry with yoursef that you didn't read the system specs and are pissed that you got ripped off for $70. You got robbed, I have the "special edition" and I only paid like $30.
There are many great modders also busting their ass making the game even better, and you can find many great people on this board that are always willing to help out with any issues you may have. Maybe you can start there and we can help.

Peto
11-01-07, 11:56 PM
Well said Stemin. I admit that I put the sim aside for a few weeks but not out of frustration. I saw there were some very talented gentlemen working on it and improving it all the time. End result? If the 50 bucks I paid for this game was translated into cost per hour of fun, It'd have cost me about 17 cents an hour. That means I can enjoy it and have nip of Merlot as well. Hats off to all the modders who have made it so much better :rock: . And appreciation to UBI for sticking with this series (I thought it was toast without jam or butter when SHII was so FUBAR'd).

If it is system issues keeping you from playing it and all your specs meet or exceed the recommended computer specs...well...playing this game is definitely worth the hassle of a wipe and reload of your OS. BUT!!! I know it's not for everyone. Subsims are a niche market enjoyed by an elite few ;). And the title must be doing OK over-all if they're making an expansion for it....

Just my thoughts before pouring another glass of wine and heading out for Luzon.

Cheers!

Reaves
11-02-07, 12:41 AM
I like turtles.

captiandon
11-02-07, 09:05 AM
I for one cant see what the problem is. All great titles have had patches and had bugs in them. for one we are talking about a windows platform that is supposed to work on many differant machines. Frankly I think that people need to grow up and get past sucking there thumbs. I have decided that anything I buy will have its flaws and that I am going to enjoy anything I might as well except what I get. Besides with all the mods and the patches that have been out have made this sim a very good game. I for one enjoy it even though last night I went thru and sunk 60,000 tons only to have the game crash to the desk top after three hours of play. I will have to start again but this time I know what to except and will carry my attacks out better. I was having my best patrol and most of the torpedos were not duds. unlike my last patrol all but two Fish exploded before they even hit there targets. seems like it is better then one thinks. I just think you all dont know what your doing and should stick with something alittle easer like checkers.

SteamWake
11-02-07, 10:00 AM
I like turtles.

I prefer oranges.

seafarer
11-02-07, 10:06 AM
:hmm: A highly niche market game (and PC only as well) has a drastic price drop after 6 months on the shelves? And this is somehow a blatant statement about the quality of the game itself?

Or, could it just be that sales have largely peaked as those with an interest in this type of sim/game all have it now? Especially since a good portion of those were eagerly awaiting it's release long beforehand (had even pre-ordered well in advance). So, the retailers are slashing the price to move their remaining inventory off the shelves - so they can fill that shelf space with XBox360, or Wii titles for the upcoming Holiday sales bonanza?

I mean, seriously, the big gaming money is in console titles, not PC-only titles. And the market for naval sims must be pretty small and finite, let alone submarine sims, so you cannot expect the price of such titles to NOT drop drastically, and fairly soon after release too. Esepcially in brick-and-mortar retail stores - they hate to have a handful of copies of any title hanging around taking up shelf space and will slash price stuff just to get it off the books.

If SHIV were truly so horrible, why are there so many people apparently playing it regularly here and on the ubisoft forums? Or why would so many people spend so much of their time producing amazing mods for a sim that was, at it's core, just pure cr@p? Those people represent the community of PC gamers interested in these kinds of title anyway - not the game console fanatic kid running into a store to spend his current allowance on the newest ninja-fighter, shooter, fantasy-whatever. And those are the consumers the retailers cater to, since they can hit him/her up for a insane price markup, since there are gazillions of them all buying the same genres of titles. Look at how much shelf space places like a GameSpot store devoit to console games versus PC titles - that right there tells where their interest lies (a PC-only game is little more then a token sideline to them).

mookiemookie
11-02-07, 10:08 AM
I thought we were past all of the righteous indignation about the horrors and atrocities that Ubisoft has visited upon us with the release of SH4? :roll:

John Channing
11-02-07, 10:24 AM
I like turtles.

I prefer oranges.

How about orange turtles?

JCC

John Channing
11-02-07, 10:25 AM
I thought we were past all of the righteous indignation about the horrors and atrocities that Ubisoft has visited upon us with the release of SH4? :roll:

Apparently not.

JCC

Digital_Trucker
11-02-07, 10:38 AM
Jeez, if he thinks UBI is bad about post sale support, he should try THQ's MotoGP series. UBI has issued more patches for SH4 than THQ has for all 4 of it's GP series put together (and most of them were, and still are, seriously flawed).

Personally, I think they've done well in patching up the game (with yet another patch on the way). It's now well worth whatever you paid for it (if you'll take the time to patch and mod it to taste).

Cap'n Spanky
11-02-07, 11:08 AM
Gents,

Being an Accounts Payable Auditor, with Vendor Price Protection as one of my mainstays... all vendors drop prices to their merchants on a regular basis. The first price drop comes 99% of the time at 6 months out, (unless the item is blowing out the doors everywhere), then another follows shortly. Sometimes this can be as soon as 4 months up to 6. The price drops are not a sign of product quality but a sign of market value. The software industy and gaming in general is probably the most notiable. Hardlines, ie washers/dryers etc, are reduced as well but the consumer usually doesn't pick up on these because a "new model" is released at the original price. In software, it's kinda hard to hide the price drops with "new models" unless the are Expansion Packs or Add On's of other nature.

Sometimes the Buyer will institute a price drop just to 'get rid' of a slow seller to free up merchandise footage. That being the case, the item(s) reduced for quick sale may never appear again at that retailer.

SHIV in my area, Dallas TX, is still $29.99

This is in no way to be construded as a defense of UBI or to say that it's ok to have buggy programs, that is just the nature of the beast now days. I have not purchased any games in the last few years, sans my PSP ones, that are not patched or buggy on release. The more technical PC's get the more bugs prevail since not everyone has the same configuration. I personally will deal with those issues, just to have PC's games. I'd hate to be forced to play everything on a platform no matter how consistant their software is.

Bill

AVGWarhawk
11-02-07, 12:10 PM
I paid $49.99 knowing full well that the game would drop in price like all games do months after release. I have every IL2 release that I paid anywhere from 49.99 to 29.99 each. Now I can get all the discs and the 1946 add plus the patches for $19.99. No one to blame but myself. I always know the price drops like a rock months after release. -shrug-

MorganThePirate
11-02-07, 12:16 PM
Very good information. Next time I may wait ten months to buy the game......ha,ha,ha,ha.........:arrgh!:

mookiemookie
11-02-07, 12:22 PM
Prices on Amazon:

Half Life 2 - $17.99
Oblivion - $29.99
Company of Heroes - $27.99

Would you say those games are crummy? Do you think they lowered the price on them because they weren't selling? I think it's very clear that price =/= quality. Our OP here is pretty clueless in terms of sales and marketing economics.

I knew full well that the price drops were going to happen, but guess what? I spent $20 more than the price is now, but the fun I've had with the game since it's release has been well worth that extra I paid to have it then. I could have gone to the movies twice and seen 4 hrs of film, or spent that same extra $20 and had countless hours of fun with the game as I have.

I think I got a deal. :cool:

Peto
11-02-07, 12:29 PM
Oblivion. I waited months for that one to price drop. Then I figured since it's price held it must be really good (and I was right). So I bought it and about 4 weeks later (just after my check cleared) the price dropped :shifty: . SH4 has been worth every cent and still gets more system time than Oblivion.

SteamWake
11-02-07, 01:56 PM
Oblivion was okay, not exactly groundbreaking IMO.

I 'finished' it in a few days and never really got interested in trying it again.

But yea it is not unusual for prices to drop on software. The prices set always seemed arbitrary anyhow. Havent you noticed that no matter the production studio, amount of content, most 'premium' games are 49.99 regardless of how much it actually cost to produce it.

Wilcke
11-02-07, 03:43 PM
I like turtles.

I prefer oranges.

Mango Cream Pie.....:yep:

Wilcke

rrmelend
11-02-07, 04:47 PM
was in FuturShop tonight buying a nice 22" lcd flat screen for my comp and was really peeved to see that SH Wolves of the PAc is selling now for 19.00??? WTF I paid about 70 bucks for my so called" special edition" version that I havent even played because of the issues.. I guess word has gotten out how bad the game sucks and the only way they can sell it is to just about give it away.. Im sort of dissapointed.. Hopefully once the latest patch comes out ill load it up again and see how it runs then... but im not going to hold my breathe... And as a foot note to the probs with thuis game ive been shopping and had looked into buyin a few games that caught my eye but as soon as I saw the ubisoft name on the box I oput it right back on the shelf... I'd bet that im not the only consumer who has done this... If they only knew how much revenue they may be losing from people being turned off by lack of support or just plain no after sales service so to speak of some of thier products..It may be a long time before I ever purchase any ubisoft product..

I honestly just don't get why people go to all the trouble of registering for a forum like this just to blast the game. Talk about needing a better hobby. I bought the game a couple months ago for $29.99 and totally love it. I'm even playing on an unsupported graphics card getting crappy fps with the lowest settings and suffering through it, dreaming of the day when I can afford a comp that can handle this game and I'm doing it all with a huge smile on my face thinking about all the modders out there making this game as awesome as it is.

Sailor Steve
11-02-07, 05:02 PM
I like turtles.

I prefer oranges.

How about orange turtles?

JCC
Mock Orange Turtle Soup! With SH4 sprinkles on top.

FIREWALL
11-02-07, 05:12 PM
Your topic title " I'm giveing it away "

If you don't like it Donate it to SubSim and Neal can give it away as a prize.

Or to a member who can't afford it.

RoyalHighlander
11-04-07, 10:01 AM
Well when I said giving it away i meant that ubisoft was doing that i wasnt.. and also I reloaded the game and downloaded the 1.3 patch and its playble now and actually not too bad .. only problem now is when i try to go into multiplayer it wont let me and i tried to login but cant remember what password and login i used do I use the same one as I use to login to the ubisoft website?? any ideas people? thanks