PDA

View Full Version : When do you switch from s-class to bigger boat

Von Hinten
10-30-07, 02:49 PM
Okay, so Seafarer got me thinking with this remark:

Of course, if you prefer to toot around in your kiddie boat, that's okay with me :D When you're ready to join the real submariners, we might let you have one of the big boy boats :lol:

Now I did some searching but was unable to find an answer on this. Say I am ready and would want one of the big boy boats ... Does anyone know when you're presented the opportunity to switch to a bigger boat?

Two patrols ago I did get one 'good job lad, it's time you quit and started training our new officers' kind of request which I kindly declined so I could keep on sailing, but I'm actually curious as to what I have to achieve to be allowed a bigger boat.

I started my career with the Asiatic Fleet and got assigned my current sugar boat, the SS-138 and still have that same boat whereas when I first began playing SHIV, I started at Pearl and seem to remember being given a new boat every three or four patrols. (And no, not because I sank the previous one ... ;))

AVGWarhawk
10-30-07, 03:08 PM
I believe I went as far as 5 patrols in the sugar boat before I was handed the keys to a new boat.

You basically have to complete the objectives for every patrol. Then and only then will you be offered a new ride.

Gunner
10-30-07, 03:13 PM
Can't really say what triggers message to get a new boat, but after 5 patrols and 156,000 tons, in my Sboat out of Brisbane, was offerd a new boat and respectfully declined. Tried the bigger boats but prefer my Sugar Boat, has more appeal to my style of play. :arrgh!:

Von Hinten
10-30-07, 03:13 PM
Ok, I see. Thanks for explaining. I'll just keep on doing my job then and maybe some day I'll get that chance.

It's not as easy as we had it in SHIII is it? In there it was a simple matter of saving enough renown, pick the right base to switch to and you'd basically have a free hand in what sub your sailing. I remember switching back and forth a couple of times back then.

rrmelend
10-30-07, 03:16 PM
I agree with everyone else so far. I usually am offered a new boat sometime around 5 or 6 patrols. I'm curious though about all these messages asking to join the admirals staff or train new officers. I've never had one of these messages and in one of my careers I'm up to 14 patrols.

AVGWarhawk
10-30-07, 03:21 PM
I have never been retired. The key I believe is completing the assigned tasks in a patrol. If you go wondering off and not complete the tasks you get the heave to shore duty.

Von Hinten
10-30-07, 03:21 PM
Oh, another thing: once you've changed boats, you can't change back can you? I mean if I (after all the sound advice I got so far :)) still wanted to try the bigger boats, could I switch back? Or should I simple reload a save game and pretend nothing happened? ;)

Von Hinten
10-30-07, 03:23 PM
I have never been retired. The key I believe is completing the assigned tasks in a patrol. If you go wondering off and not complete the tasks you get the heave to shore duty.
That could well have been the case when I got my request to train officers. I like to explore the surroundings a bit when I'm out there. Good to know that also influences my progress in the game.

rrmelend
10-30-07, 03:35 PM
Oh, another thing: once you've changed boats, you can't change back can you? I mean if I (after all the sound advice I got so far :)) still wanted to try the bigger boats, could I switch back? Or should I simple reload a save game and pretend nothing happened? ;)

If you wanted to go back you are right in assuming that you would need to load a previously saved game.

Von Hinten
10-30-07, 03:59 PM
If you wanted to go back you are right in assuming that you would need to load a previously saved game.
Ok, makes sense. Thanks for clearing this up for me guys.

SteamWake
10-30-07, 04:03 PM
I got offered a new boat after two patrols once.

Gunner
10-30-07, 04:35 PM

Who's butt did ye have to kiss :D Just joking :arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
10-30-07, 05:05 PM
If you start at Pearl you should start in a fleet boat, and even in Manila there were many more fleet boats than S-boats.

SteminDemon13
10-30-07, 05:28 PM
Well, My fleet boat got shot to hell on one of my patrols a while back in my career. I was surprised I made it back to port. I got the option to retire or get a new boat. So I went and got a new boat, and guess what, it was a sugar boat. I went from 6 tubes back down to 4 in my new boat, and then I happened to spot the Yamato for the first time, was only able to get 4 torps off until the cans were after me. Those 4 did some nice damage to the ole Yam Toe but she didn't sink. If I had those extra 2 it would have definetely been all over for her. Since then I have not seen the Yamato. I have been looking all over for it. It's now 1944 and have not found her since my last encounter. By the way, I'm not in the S boat anymore, I have had Command of the USS Drum and USS Balao since then. USS Balao is my current boat and I love it. WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU YAM TOE YAMATO?!!:damn:

AVGWarhawk
10-30-07, 05:46 PM

Got some pictures of the Admiral that not need to get out? :shifty:

Melonfish
10-31-07, 11:30 AM
3 successfull patrol's in my loverly salmon class before i got offered a Gato. i'm liking the 6 forward tubes, but not the increased dive times! hehe
pete

SteamWake
10-31-07, 11:49 AM

Who's butt did ye have to kiss :D Just joking :arrgh!:

It was one of those insane tonnage runs (before mods). Patrol consisted of two patrols, two photo missions, THREE ! lifeguard missions, one 'sink shipping'. All complete with alot of targets of opportunity. All without re-fitting.