PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Iron Warriors/Balkans on Fire

Dakar23
10-20-07, 06:56 PM
For the 2nd time today I have uninstalled the program. I like the way it looks, it sounds, but for Pete's sake SHOOT AT WHAT IS IMPORTANT! I don't care if there is a rifleman 1,157m away. We'll deal with him later. I'm more concerned with the TANK at 300m away closing range and shooting. Yes I can take over the gunners position but...
What key? What key? F6, hold on, KEEP DRIVING you ninny!!! What keys again? (Dives into manual) Go left, no right! Okay, rangefinder is here, range, Damn, it's like looking through a soda straw, okay, FIRE!!! Reload, KEEP DRIVING!!!!! Okay, if you can't, I will, F5 and I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE RIFLEMAN!! TARGET TANK 12:00 RANGE LESS THEN 250m!! GUNNER FIRE AT WILL!!!
Of course at this point a round enters my tank and makes hash of me and my crew as my significant other looks across the room as I shout to no effect at my monitor. Seriously!
Somthing along the lines of SH2 where I can tell the crew what to fire on would have been a nice touch. Part of a simulation like this is I DON'T want to jump station to station. I have my prefered job (Driver) and do my best so the rest of my crew can do their jobs.
But when I drive following the great dictums of samurai and mondern tank combat and I run out of machine gun ammo four minutes into a game because of my Davy Crockett wannabe gunner it does get tiring. Oh well. Thoughts?

Skybird
10-21-07, 04:34 AM
Oh well. Thoughts?
Just one. Leave your game behind, for it will not chnage over night, save some money and make yourself a candidate for joining the huge, ridiculously happy, endlessly satisfied Steel Beasts Pro community. :smug: If money is a problem, get a cheap second hand copy of steel Beasts Gold, the predecessor. That will keep you excited until yoiu can go for it's greater brother. ;)

Why messing around with anger and frustration, if there are better alternatives available?

Chock
10-21-07, 10:55 AM
There's no doubt that T-72 offers a challenge (for all the reasons you stated), but whether it's a challenge because of realism or having to bend over backwards to achieve success is another matter! I can't say I'm not disappointed in some aspects of it, because I'd like it to have more closely modeled the tank that's in its title. Some bits are great in it, the driving is cool, even if the T-72 appears to have the wrong gearbox in comparison to a real one, and the graphics are nice too, and it's also interesting that it covers a war other software developers have shied away from, but as you say, there are many frustrations with it.

If only there was a really realistic T-72 simulator. Bummer.

:D Chock

Skybird
10-21-07, 03:13 PM
If only there was a really realistic T-72 simulator. Bummer.

:D Chock

Just give eSim the time and opportunity they need with all their military contracts. The T-72 or T-80 will be done, promised. ;)

Camaero
10-22-07, 05:50 AM
I have to agree with Skybird here. I bought SBPro after reading his posts about it and the sim is just flat out awesome. I haven't had time to play it in awhile, but my last memory of it is a fond one.

It was only my second or third time online and it was only me and another guy. We each controlled maybe 8 tanks and a bunch of other smaller units.

There were two points on a map that had to be taken. One option was to send all of my forces to the one point, or I could split them up and try to take both points at the same time.

I chose to split up my forces. I took 4 tanks with me and some smaller units and sent the other half to the other point. Bad move on my part. My second force met my opponents entire army. They were quickly destroyed. So now I had a small force against his much larger one.

I parked my boys just below a hill top that had a decent view. Soon we had contact. The battle was intense and I was losing a lot of guys.

Finally, it amazingly came down to us each only having one tank left! I popped smoke and fled to find a better spot. He must have done the same thing because we both met at the top of a hill at the same time. We were maybe 30 feet away from each other. It scared me so much, and I was still new, so I panicked and forgot my fire button. It was all over for me.

It sure is a terrible feeling, even in a video game, when the turret of an enemy tank is that close to you and takes aim... You know it's all over.

Great time though.