PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Cooter1966
10-09-07, 07:14 PM
How do people. I'm new to this forum and I got a question(a couple, actually). I seriously thinking of getting SH4, I do have SH3 but haven't played it in quite awhile so I am somewhat familiar with this genre of games. Is SH4 a good game? How slow does progress go? Would you recommend this game? Any little bits you can add is appreciated, I need a break from playing Total War. Thanks much!!:up:

_Seth_
10-09-07, 07:17 PM
Welcome mate! :up:

AVGWarhawk
10-09-07, 07:20 PM
SH4 is a great game. Plenty of new mods that greatly enhance the game. Go get it, load up patch 1.3 and have fun. Just make sure your rig can handle it. Check the box for the specs.

Cooter1966
10-09-07, 07:22 PM
What box might that be Warhawk, sorry, really am NEW to this forum. Googled sub simulations. Never mind, I found it. Thanks

AVGWarhawk
10-09-07, 07:40 PM
The specs you find on the side of the box. Anyway, I play the game very well on a AMD 3200+, 2 gig ddr400 ram and a x1300 ati 512mb card. The more power you have the better. It is a power hungry game. Basically, the $49.00 game cost me an additional video card and 1 more gig of ram to play it with any decent frames. Worth every penny! Welcome aboard!

Cooter1966
10-09-07, 07:53 PM
I got 2.66 Ghz Intel (single core) 2 Gigs DDR3200 Corsair mem., Nvidia 7800GS OC 256 video card, 500 watt PS. I really don't think I'll have any problems, IL2, Lock-On, GTLegends, GTR2, Medieval Total War 2 all play great on my system.

AVGWarhawk
10-09-07, 08:01 PM
You should be good to go! I recommend playing a bit of the vanilla version (straight out of the box) and then start lurking for mods that you would like to add. My personal favorites, ROW by Leovampire and Kriller (a few others sorry if I missed you) , Oakgrooves interior textures, Capt Cox officer hat and insignia mod. I can not forget my enhanced radio traffic mod but that is not ready yet. There are loads more to be had. Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions.

Cooter1966
10-09-07, 08:08 PM
Thanks again WarHawk.:rock:

bookworm_020
10-09-07, 08:13 PM
You might want to get the GWX mod for SH3, as that will take the game to a new level. Some say SH3/ GWX beats stock SH4. I think it's comparing apples with oranges.

Your system sould play SH4 without a problem, if it seems a little jerky in rame rates drop some of the graphic levels ( removing the fog effect can have a big effect)

SteamWake
10-09-07, 08:54 PM
SH4 is a very different game from SH3.

Some love it some hate it (shrug) thats pepole for you :hmm:

I can say that SH4 is much more demanding of your system that SH3 is.

Anyhow I hope you reach a decision and welcome to the fold.

You have found the ultimate source for info on this title.

mookiemookie
10-09-07, 09:17 PM
Cooter, if you have any interest in the history of the U.S. sub war in the pacific, GET THIS GAME. The difficulty is scaleable, the strategy and action is pulse pounding, and the graphics, especially with the help of our talented modders, are beautiful. I think it can be had for relatively cheap nowadays as well.

Even if U.S. subs aren't quite your cup of tea, give it a shot. I was always a WW2 fan, and was looking for a new game to play when I ran across a SH3 review that said it was great. I gave it a shot and became hooked, and not only that, but I became a U-boat history fan as well. Be careful...the same may happen with you and U.S. fleet boats with SH4!!! :up: I went from SH3 to SH4 and it really prompted me to start reading a lot more about U.S. boats and now my bookshelf is stocked with almost an equal amount of U.S. sub books as U-boat books.

Cooter1966
10-09-07, 09:46 PM
I've seen at it the stores, but never got it. I just need a change of pace from air sims, strategy(MTW2) racing. Been watching Youtube stuff on SH4 last couple of days and I want it!! Probably going to order it in the morning, too tired now, I need sleep. Thanks for info guys.