PDA

View Full Version : Just the thing!

mrbeast
10-04-07, 10:02 AM
For that extra touch of realism and immersion, why not wear one of these while playing SH4?

http://www.revell.com/catalog/products/Navy_Chambray_Shirt_M-901-25.html

Shame they don't do some officers khakis!

AVGWarhawk
10-04-07, 10:13 AM
Hey, good price too!

SteamWake
10-04-07, 12:03 PM
Make sure you soak it in sweat, salt water, and other unmentionable fluids for the full effect ;)

Vlad34
10-04-07, 12:14 PM
Make sure you soak it in sweat, salt water, and other unmentionable fluids for the full effect ;)

...and don't forget to sleep in it every night, just so the smell will offend the rest of the crew (your family members) so they too can live the experience with you!:up:

AVGWarhawk
10-04-07, 12:27 PM
so they too can live the experience with you! 10 to 1 they will not be living the experience with you for very long:o

SteamWake
10-04-07, 12:53 PM
Hrm.... :hmm:

How did the crew of fleet boats clean their clothes ? I mean after weeks at sea even the crustiest of crew is going to want to wash their shorts.

I know contemporary boats have full blown laundries but Im pretty sure there were no washing machines on fleet boats.

BTW there is such a thing as salt water soap. Used to use it while working on fishing boats in Florida.

(Sorry bored at work and ... well things that make you say Hrm)

hawk2495
10-04-07, 02:00 PM

How did the crew of fleet boats clean their clothes ? I mean after weeks at sea even the crustiest of crew is going to want to wash their shorts.

I know contemporary boats have full blown laundries but Im pretty sure there were no washing machines on fleet boats.

BTW there is such a thing as salt water soap. Used to use it while working on fishing boats in Florida.

well they did have the sinks in the galley and im sure a decent supply of dish soap...... string them up in the engineering spaces where its nice and hot and you have a nice dryer..... just a thought lol

Vlad34
10-04-07, 02:38 PM

well they did have the sinks in the galley and im sure a decent supply of dish soap...... string them up in the engineering spaces where its nice and hot and you have a nice dryer..... just a thought lol

...and of course when there was a line at the sink they would head top-side and put a bar of soap in the pocket, attach the shirt to some fishing line and fling'er over board, and drag for about thirty minutes, retieve it, put the shirt on, then air dry to desired comfort. Then they would repeat this process every thirty days....lol

SteamWake
10-04-07, 02:55 PM
I know from personal experience that once your clothes are soaked with salt water they never really dry. The salt pulls moisture right out of the air (not to mention your sweat).

Sailor Steve
10-04-07, 05:32 PM
Been there, done that. Don't care to do it again.:rotfl:

Oh, and U.S. fleet boats had a washing machine and dryer.

mrbeast
10-04-07, 05:47 PM
Ok found some khakis if you would prefer to be an officer, bit more pricey than the ratings shirt though!

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=bcm001&ST=2

SteamWake
10-04-07, 07:09 PM

Well Ill be darned... see you learn something here every day.

Wonder if the dryer could only be used while surfaced. It sure would reek havoc if all that warm moist air was released into the sub.

Spadefish
10-04-07, 09:06 PM
I still have my dungarees and khakis from my 20 years. Not quite ready to roll back the years though and have flashbacks.......

mookiemookie
10-04-07, 09:28 PM
Dad told me that they only used the showers and washers when they were making turns for home in order to save water. The showers were full of potato sacks until the end of the patrol. Of course he was on a post-war diesel boat, but I imagine it was much the same during wartime.

He told me that pulling into port, it didn't matter how much Aqua Velva you put on, you still stunk like diesel fuel!

leovampire
10-04-07, 09:44 PM
I still have my dungarees and khakis from my 20 years. Not quite ready to roll back the years though and have flashbacks.......

LOL I tryed to put on my Army Dress Green's one day and realized I got older than they did!! :rotfl:

Nice fine though mrbeast I am willing to bet a few people will get them!

Spadefish
10-04-07, 09:58 PM

LOL I tryed to put on my Army Dress Green's one day and realized I got older than they did!! :rotfl:

Nice fine though mrbeast I am willing to bet a few people will get them!

As a matter of fact they do :cool: . Still weigh the same as I did when I enlisted 28 years ago, 170lbs. Ah, the benefits of a high metabolism, time to get another beer :D .

Sailor Steve
10-06-07, 11:02 AM
Dad told me that they only used the showers and washers when they were making turns for home in order to save water. The showers were full of potato sacks until the end of the patrol. Of course he was on a post-war diesel boat, but I imagine it was much the same during wartime.

He told me that pulling into port, it didn't matter how much Aqua Velva you put on, you still stunk like diesel fuel!
I just said they had the facilities; I didn't claim they used them!:rotfl:

As odd as that seems, when I think about it it sounds just like the navy. You learn something new every day.

NefariousKoel
10-06-07, 12:16 PM
The ladies swoon over the smell of my 'eau-de-diez-zel'. :rotfl:

Old joke from when I was a kid doing slave labor for my dad's concrete business. Had to spray the steel forms with diesel so the concrete could be scrubbed off with a steel brush easier after you broke them out. Smelled like gawd@mn diesel all the time, especially when spraying in high winds - just like p!ssing into them I guess.

swdw
10-06-07, 12:26 PM

Although they had full laundry facilites, buy the time you get off patrol, everything smells like th boat. It's a smell that6's ver hard to describe, metal, salt, oil, cooking grease mustiness and other smells all rolled together. Recycling the air through scrubbers. filters, and using O2 generators leaves a lot of odors in the air. Your skin and hair picked it up too.

Even if you had freshly washed clothes and had just taken a shower, my wife and quite a few others had a routine you had to follow as soon as you walked through the front door, even though we smelled a LOT better than the diesel boat sailors :D

1. Drop your seabag at, or outside, the door
2. Take your clothes off and throw them in the laundry room. Some guys wives had them do it as soon as they stepped into the house.
3. Take a LONG shower (felt good after weeksof "navy showers")
4. Pass the sniff test or take another shower. :lol:

Of course ,you can't smell anything cuz you're used to it.

Sailor Steve
10-06-07, 05:27 PM

Wonder if the dryer could only be used while surfaced. It sure would reek havoc if all that warm moist air was released into the sub.
I suddenly worried I might be wrong about the laundry, but I found this:

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/SubmarineLionfish/ShipsLaundry.jpg

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/SubmarineLionfish/index.htm

SteamWake
10-06-07, 09:13 PM

I suddenly worried I might be wrong about the laundry, but I found this:

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/SubmarineLionfish/ShipsLaundry.jpg

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/SubmarineLionfish/index.htm

You cant fool me thats the microwave !