PDA

View Full Version : Seems To Work..

Krauter
09-29-07, 07:23 PM
Hello all,

As I've played, there have been different ways to get on hit wonders on ships. Two notable ways are;

1) To hit under the keel either under the stacks, thus immobilizing the target, or in a far more explosive way, (only with warships sadly:cry: ) is to hit, again under the keel, the turrets, or in the case off DDs, under the DC racks.

2) is to aim for the very tip of the bow, thus as the ship gains in speed and momentum, it rushes more and more water into the bow, thus slowing it down, and ultimatly sinking it..

These are my two most notable ways to sink a ship.. any other more inventive ways would be greatly appreciated.:up:

With Regards,

Krauter

SteamWake
09-29-07, 08:53 PM
These are actually very interisting comments.

I typicallly aim for amidships or just aft of the stacks.... commentary is appreceated.

BTW Welcome Krauter

Krauter
09-29-07, 09:01 PM
I typicallly aim for amidships or just aft of the stacks

I find that if I have a slight miscalculation with the TDC, I end up missing the ship, so I started aiming more towards the bow section and normally hit amidships.. or if I'm lucky.. the bow.

However, the only time I can actually hit the areas mentioned in my post is when I use auto-aim:down: .. So much for realisim

sqk7744
09-29-07, 09:05 PM
Hello all,

As I've played, there have been different ways to get on hit wonders on ships. Two notable ways are;

1) To hit under the keel either under the stacks, thus immobilizing the target, or in a far more explosive way, (only with warships sadly:cry: ) is to hit, again under the keel, the turrets, or in the case off DDs, under the DC racks.

2) is to aim for the very tip of the bow, thus as the ship gains in speed and momentum, it rushes more and more water into the bow, thus slowing it down, and ultimatly sinking it..

These are my two most notable ways to sink a ship.. any other more inventive ways would be greatly appreciated.:up:

With Regards,

Krauter
Great Krauter! :up:

btw:
Did you get your Vista (can't save) permissions issue straightened-out with your NSS_ .cfg file?
Hopefully someone with vista can help you.

Krauter
09-29-07, 09:10 PM
[quote=sqk7744Great Krauter! :up:

btw:
Did you get your Vista (can't save) permissions issue straightened-out with your NSS_ .cfg file?
Hopefully someone with vista can help you.[/quote]

Alas, I am still watching kids.. waiting for the parents to come home.. so I am still unable to access my files.

In regards to this topic, do you have any noteworthy/high kill percentage area that you usually aim for?

With Regards,

Krauter

sqk7744
09-29-07, 10:33 PM
A three spread; at the bow, and walking back to the stacks/superstructure. The stern still seems to be made of granite and our scopes are edged with diamond dust.

* Something to try with TM/Reflections/NSM and the Sub Skool Torpedo Attack mission: Put one under each turret and see if she rolls.

But... a 1200 yard charging bow shot is always the most rewarding. ;)
Cues Run Silent Run Deep, Dive dive!

:arrgh!:

C DuDe
09-30-07, 03:28 AM
First off, welcome aboard.

As the magnetic part of the torpedo (in this game) doesn't work thus making a "under keel shot" useless I have the tendency to make a hole under the stack and always (just to make sure) fire one torpedo at the rear of the vessel (propulsion / rudder). I do this to my secondary targets.

2) is to aim for the very tip of the bow, thus as the ship gains in speed and momentum, it rushes more and more water into the bow, thus slowing it down, and ultimately sinking it..

:yep:

This I do to my primary (and works 9 out of 10 times, even on a battle ship, using NSM Mod) I fire 4 fish at my primary target, sinking her.

Considering: Distance, torpedo speed and a 6sec. firing interval <-(making the torpedo angle solution very important).
_Torp1. at 9f, 1.5 to 2dgr angle to bow.
_Torp2. at 10f, 1 to 1.5dgr angle to bow. (turrets)
_Torp3. at 11f, 0.5 to 1dgr midships
_Torp4. at 9f, 1 to 1.5dgr angle to stern. (propellers)

Krauter
10-01-07, 07:58 PM
First off, welcome aboard.

As the magnetic part of the torpedo (in this game) doesn't work thus making a "under keel shot" useless I have the tendency to make a hole under the stack and always (just to make sure) fire one torpedo at the rear of the vessel (propulsion / rudder). I do this to my secondary targets.

2) is to aim for the very tip of the bow, thus as the ship gains in speed and momentum, it rushes more and more water into the bow, thus slowing it down, and ultimately sinking it..

:yep:

This I do to my primary (and works 9 out of 10 times, even on a battle ship, using NSM Mod) I fire 4 fish at my primary target, sinking her.

Considering: Distance, torpedo speed and a 6sec. firing interval <-(making the torpedo angle solution very important).
_Torp1. at 9f, 1.5 to 2dgr angle to bow.
_Torp2. at 10f, 1 to 1.5dgr angle to bow. (turrets)
_Torp3. at 11f, 0.5 to 1dgr midships
_Torp4. at 9f, 1 to 1.5dgr angle to stern. (propellers)

Most of the time, the shots do not have to be directly under the keel, however beneficial the keel shot is, hitting close enough to the bottom of the ship is feasible, and often results in the same effect as a shot under the keel.

With Regards,

Krauter

SteamWake
10-02-07, 09:22 AM
I typicallly aim for amidships or just aft of the stacks

I find that if I have a slight miscalculation with the TDC, I end up missing the ship, so I started aiming more towards the bow section and normally hit amidships.. or if I'm lucky.. the bow.

However, the only time I can actually hit the areas mentioned in my post is when I use auto-aim:down: .. So much for realisim

Just a thought. Did you remember to open the tube doors and flood the tubes before pressing fire ? Forgetting that will make you miss aft nearly every time. :know:

Krauter
10-02-07, 02:47 PM
Hey,

Normally SteamWake, on an ambush I will, but often times in the heat of battle, I often forget to open the tubes as im settings my bearings:oops: ..

With Embarassement,

Krauter

P.S: Probably spealt Embarassement wrong.. Really I do have horrible spelling.

C DuDe
10-03-07, 11:05 AM
Most of the time, the shots do not have to be directly under the keel, however beneficial the keel shot is, hitting close enough to the bottom of the ship is feasible, and often results in the same effect as a shot under the keel.

With Regards,

I tend to keep my fish closer to the surface as I've read somewhere there's a 10 feet margin or so in torpedo depth after firing. (Historically correct? I don't know)

seaniam81
10-03-07, 01:47 PM
Yes early Mk. 14's ran about 10ft too deep. not really modeled in the game to well