PDA

View Full Version : US units! help needed!

simonpe
09-17-07, 04:11 PM
Hello there!

I just installed SH4 and i am very confused about the american units. How do you plot on a chart where distances is measured in nm when ranges are given in feet, yards or whatever? Please give me an explanation of how you go about the conversions and which units all measurements are given in the different gadgets.

Sailor Steve
09-17-07, 04:21 PM
A nautical mile is roughly 2000 yards, which is 6000 feet. A yard is 3 feet, which is 36 inches. A metre is 39.37 inches. That's about it.

There's really no need to worry too much, as SH4 allows you to use metric if you so desire. All navies used nautical miles, and a knot of speed is one nautical mile per hour, so again all you have to do is think of each measurement as a "unit", and go from there.:sunny:

simonpe
09-17-07, 04:29 PM
okay! thanks for the intel.

But how do you think / plot e.g. a 4500 ft line in the chart? do you convert using a calculator or what?

C DuDe
09-17-07, 04:31 PM
Welcome a board Skiper!!

If you want you can set the measurements in meters, maybe that's easier for you.

When in your office prior of stating a mission, on the book shelve to the left, you can go to your options settings... there you can set up Imperial measurements or metric measurements. (metric being meters).

Altough I'm European myself I have no problems using Imerpial measurements as I don't really look at it...
Just knowing having to be within 1200yrds to have a good kill (closer is better butmore dificult) is enough..

An idea is to go through the training missions and play with the tools on your NAV map to get to know how they work and what you can do with them.. you can always redo the training missions if you want. There's no time limit to them.

Good hunting!

hyperion2206
09-17-07, 05:35 PM
As far as I know the game plots your course in nautical miles so you don't need to convert anything.

gutted
09-17-07, 05:43 PM
i'm american and i can't stand the imperial system.

metric for me.

SilentOtto
09-17-07, 07:23 PM
What I hate about this is all the distance estimates given by the crew... in feet?
WOuldnt those be yards, or n.m. if really far away???

I thought only planes used feet, for altitude...

ReallyDedPoet
09-17-07, 08:48 PM
Welcome to SUBSIM :up: simonpe

RDP

Powerthighs
09-18-07, 12:30 AM
If you use the very close approximation that 1 nm is 2000 yards, its fairly easy to do in your head. 4500 yards for example would be 2.25 nm.

It's probably not realistic but I find having to do some simple math in my head quickly while playing adds to the stress level, which makes it more fun.

Also, if you use the nomograph (see Trigger Maru for example), there is a line on the map that has nautical miles on one side and yards on the other, which gives you a visual reference to convert between the two.

EDIT: Just re-read simonpe's post. I'm not aware of any situation where ranges are directly given in feet (it's usually yards). The one exception would be the active sonar. Note that the numbers around the outside of the active sonar dial are actually yards. However, if you are tracking a target more than 5000 yards away, you can multiply the number of seconds it takes to hear the reflected sound impulse by .333 to get the distance in nautical miles away. That's 4000 feet per second dived by 3 to get the number of yards divided by 2 to account for the fact that the sound makes a round trip divided by 2000 yards per nautical mile. You can track target by active sonar this way that are 10 nm away.

Taking 1/3 of the number of seconds is easy to do in your head as well.