PDA

View Full Version : Aft Torpedos

Kirby_TFS
09-12-07, 12:11 PM
I use manual targeting and hit most of my targets with the fore torpedoes, but almost always miss with the aft torpedoes. I set the AOB as if I were approaching the target then go through the same procedure with ship identification, distance, speed, PK.......etc. Then when I fire my torpedoes go off in a different direction. I think it is something I'm doing wrong with the AOB. Any suggestions or insturctions for using the aft tubes?:damn:

donut
09-12-07, 12:19 PM
AoB,Is as seen as your position, viewed angle from targets course.

silentscorp1971
09-12-07, 12:41 PM
When using your stern torpedos your sub icon in the TDC should be pointing away from the enemy icon. The easiest way is just to spin wheel till the the enemy bearing is somewhat close then submit it and watch the tdc. If you are heading away from the enemy it will automatically reflect this in how it puts your sub icon in the tdc. Make sure you have located the enemy in one of your scopes so it knows which way he is.

Also make sure you select the rear torpedos when you set them up for speed/depth since it defaults to #1 bow tube.

Here is a shot I took of a stern attack. Note the relative facings of my icon and the enemies.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/silentscorp1971/AoB.jpg

Kirby_TFS
09-13-07, 12:02 PM
I tried the other night to manually move the dials on the TDC but couldn't get the sub icon to move. The only way I could make it move was by adjusting the AOB in the upper right corner control. Is there a way to manually move the icon on the left?

Powerthighs
09-13-07, 12:43 PM
You can't directly control the two dials on the left, they are a display that represents the current firing solution.

1) Make sure you have an aft tube selected. You will notice that the display changes if you have forward versus aft tube selected, as the firing solution is different.

2) Make sure the target is roughly behind you. The bearing as you look at it through the periscope should be between 135 - 225 or so. You can't fire aft tubes at a target in front of you and vice versa. The torpedos can only turn so much after leaving the tubes. If it's not behind you turn your sub until it is.

Kirby_TFS
09-15-07, 07:48 PM
Thanks all for your help. I'll give it a try and make sure we have the aft tube selected. I think may have been the trouble whend setting up the solution. It's great to have a forum like this one.