PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows VISTA worth it?

HMCS
09-10-07, 11:18 PM
Greets, all.

I was considering buying an new PC. The old 'un is ok, but it is pushing 3 years or so. I was, however, a little put off by some of the criticisms of the VISTA o/s.

So here's my query....

Should I stick with my old XP crate, or upgrade? Or the third way-wait for the next o/s, that allegedly Microsoft is working on already?

Thanks for any useful replies.

antikristuseke
09-11-07, 06:03 AM
You could just get a new box and install XP on it if you wanted to. Personaly i dont really see the need to upgrade to windows Vista just yet, even though against popular belief vista has more than just DX10 support.

Skybird
09-11-07, 07:28 AM
What'S wrong in having a 3 years old PC? Mine if of that age, too, only gfx card upgraded.

You can do it, of course, but Vista is not the argument that decides wether to upgrade or not.

If I would need a new PC, I would buy no complete package, but the indiviual parts, so that I do not loose any money on Vista being included in the package price. Then I would install XP.

The Avon Lady
09-11-07, 07:30 AM
What'S wrong in having a 3 years old PC?
If reformatting, the only component I would replace after 3 years is the disk drive.

AVGWarhawk
09-11-07, 08:09 AM
My three year old PC is cranking right along. All I have done is install up to 2 gig RAM and upgraded vid card. She still has a lot of pull. Personally I'm not ready for the Vista nightmares some seem to be having. I'm giving Vista another 6 months to get ironed out and then I will purchase a new PC.

DeepIron
09-11-07, 08:15 AM
Personally, I'm keeping my XP box running as long as possible. Vista still has a number of issues and upgrading just to have DX10 simply isn't worth it in my book. Besides I'm tired of MS "pushing me around"... (I'd run just LINUX if I could get my favorite subsim to run on it!)

JSLTIGER
09-11-07, 09:47 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. I run it on Shadowhawk (Home Premium) and everything works fine. I have not yet had any major incompatibilities, and I happen to really like the new UI. I've even made Odyssey's (my XP laptop) UI look like Vista as much as I can (without installing a performance degrading app like WindowBlinds) with a uxtheme patch and a different theme. Its stability (contrary to popular belief) also actually far exceeds XP, which is very stable itself these days.

DeepIron
09-11-07, 10:22 AM
Having a good Vista experience is also highly dependent upon having a machine such as the ones you've listed running it...

So, if one wishes to have the "Vista experience" buy a new Vista complicant machine or pony up and upgrade your current hardware if you can. Personally, I'd consider either route not worth the $$$ when XP runs fine, is stable and uses less system resources. YMMV...

The Noob
09-11-07, 11:06 AM
Vista? Nah it sucks now, better wait with it until the problems are solved.

SUBMAN1
09-11-07, 11:57 AM
I have 2 machines running it - a desktop and a laptop - it is more headache than it's worth. My main systems will stick to XP MCE 2005. Windows 11 I beleive is what you need to wait for. It will be everything Vista was 'supposed' to be. What a boring name though???

-S

nikimcbee
09-11-07, 12:48 PM
What'S wrong in having a 3 years old PC? Mine if of that age, too, only gfx card upgraded.

You can do it, of course, but Vista is not the argument that decides wether to upgrade or not.

If I would need a new PC, I would buy no complete package, but the indiviual parts, so that I do not loose any money on Vista being included in the package price. Then I would install XP.

Yeah, :hmm: mine is an AMD 2400 and works just fine. I bought it in 2001.:huh: My laptop is okay, butt I can't upgrade the video card, which stinks.:roll:

SUBMAN1
09-11-07, 01:13 PM
I admit - I am stuck on a 2 year cycle. Skipping this year with the high heat GPU's out now. Waiting for a smaller process - like 65 nm or smaller before I go to something new from my already hot x1900 XTX.

-S

STEED
09-11-07, 01:31 PM
Why get sucked in to all the hype and wast money on a new PC when your old one is still up and running with no problems, My one is coming up to three and half or four years and all I had was a new hard drive due to the old one was worn out. And the only new thing I added was a graphic card to run SH4, don't dump your PC just because some jerk of a salesman tells you too.

HMCS
09-11-07, 01:31 PM
Wow. Thanks a bundle, y'all.

We appreciated it. Looks like I will wait....

SUBMAN1
09-11-07, 01:37 PM
Why get sucked in to all the hype and wast money on a new PC when your old one is still up and running with no problems, My one is coming up to three and half or four years and all I had was a new hard drive due to the old one was worn out. And the only new thing I added was a graphic card to run SH4, don't dump your PC just because some jerk of a salesman tells you too.
Well, how are you supposed to build a proper computer room in your house if you don't have a ton of old parts sitting around? I currently have 7 monitors and 6 systems operating, and I think I need more.

I have an older PIII 700 in the closet that I should pull out that has a GeForce 3 on board + 384 MB mem. I bet that still does somewhat OK. Hmm - a project for later on in the week. A new Gentoo box I am thinking! :D

-S

XabbaRus
09-11-07, 04:11 PM
Agree all I need is 1.5 gigs of extra ram, a new GFX card and a bigger PSU to make sure all is well.

Really a 3.2 Ghz P4 with 2 Gig of Ram and a decent GFX...That to me seems like a decent system even with dual cores and all out. Agree?

geetrue
09-11-07, 04:29 PM
Vista works for people like me ... I installed Vista Home Preimum on a new SATA 320GB Segate HDD.

Then I put the two HDD's with Win XP Pro up in my storage locker over my head and I haven't used those two HDD's with XP since last April.

Purchased Dell lap top in May with Vista and have never had a problem ... they boot quick, they shut down quicker and they up grade automatically with regular up dates from Microsoft.

Sometimes the PC won't boot right, but it has been traced to surfing the web and something trying to take over my registry.

Just reboot a couple of times and run ad aware and the problem goes away.

I lost the use of one external USB DVD burner and that is all ... I've heard of printers and scanners not working, mostly driver issues I think.

Go fo it ... join the boo birds or give it a try ... I like Vista

kiwi_2005
09-11-07, 04:37 PM
Im gonna say Yes its worth it in the long run. Sooner or later your going to end up putting XP into retirement and replace with Vista anyways. Although theirs some reasons to wait for a yr or so. Vista will be cheaper, Service packs with major bug fixes will be out.

Go Vista Ultimate Edition.