PDA

View Full Version : Wow I have just installed linux...

Camaero
09-10-07, 01:44 PM
For the first time I am trying out Linux. Ubuntu to be exact. A few things are a lot tougher, installing my ati card for one was a bit of a pain in the ass. I do like most everything else though.

What do you guys think, is it possible to just completely switch or do I still need an xp duel boot? I haven't tried playing any games yet so that is one untested area...

JSLTIGER
09-10-07, 02:23 PM
I use Linux on a very occasional basis, but my understanding is that many games have incompatibilities.

bradclark1
09-10-07, 02:45 PM
Check out Wine and see what games they list that you have.
http://appdb.winehq.org/

DAB
09-10-07, 02:48 PM
I use Linux as much as possible... Ubuntu just like yourself. Its a practical operating system which could be refinned a bit more - but then again look at the price tag.

Games though are impossible, and there are some people who send you files who seem to look at you as if your completely mad unless you use that priority piece of software only avaliable on Windows.

Keep the Duel boot, use Linux for the Internet and productivity - and keep windows there for when you need it.

SUBMAN1
09-10-07, 02:51 PM
You can get most games to play in Linux, but expect it to be a pain in the *ss. WINE will do a lot of them, but you may need to get Cedega. As far as everything else, install OpenOffice, and you should have no trouble ditching Windows. I run a combo of OS's at home, and Gentoo is actually my favorite - you can tweak it till you turn blue in the face and still find ways to make it go faster. There is also some pride in creating your own version of an OS as you can with Gentoo, taylored to your specific machine so much, that it won't even run on any other machine than the one you made it for - and this machine specific code will actually run faster because it lacks any bloat and its all compiled for your hardware.

My primary server at home is a Linux Gentoo install.

-S

PS. - WINE - http://www.winehq.org/ - Information on getting WIndows apps working under WINE - http://frankscorner.org/ - Seems Silent Hunter III works fine - http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=5618

PPS. Cedega will do pretty much any game out there and is an alternative to Wine, but it costs $$$ for a subscription - http://www.transgaming.com/

Camaero
09-11-07, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the tips and the links everybody. I think the main thing holding me back is my lack of knowledge on this new OS. Sometimes Linux frustrates the hell out of me and yet other times it just peaks out way further than XP. I guess I will use XP as a gaming platform and use Linux for everything else. XP is still so much easier for me to install games and other programs. I installed a game with WINE and now I can't figure out how to uninstall it for instance. :damn:

Later.

The Avon Lady
09-11-07, 01:10 AM
So where exactly is the "WOW" here? :hmm: :nope:

Slightly related, if you've got an old PC and time on your hands, read 15 Ways to Reinvent Your PC (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2170238,00.asp). Those projects should keep you busy. :yep:

antikristuseke
09-11-07, 06:05 AM
For the first time I am trying out Linux. Ubuntu to be exact. A few things are a lot tougher, installing my ati card for one was a bit of a pain in the ass. I do like most everything else though.

What do you guys think, is it possible to just completely switch or do I still need an xp duel boot? I haven't tried playing any games yet so that is one untested area...

Ati drivers from linux have sucked so far, Nvidia has better suport in that area tbh. Nut yeah you should keep the dual boot.

bradclark1
09-11-07, 08:12 AM
It's not Microsoft.:)

The Avon Lady
09-11-07, 08:15 AM
It's not Microsoft.:)
That would be "aaaahhhhhhhh", as in a sigh of relief. :D

DeepIron
09-11-07, 08:25 AM
I'm an ex-IT admin and have used LINUX in one form or another for over ten years. I owned an ISP at one time and ran all 10 servers on SuSE Linux very successfully. One thing to keep in mind, Linux can be an incredible production enviroment for services like web serving, email servers and firewalling boxes. Or as a development tool using the GCC compilers and toolchain.

LINUX still has a long way to go to garner the kind of userbase that Windows has established over the years.

It is NOT going to fulfill any needs you may have in the gaming arena if that is what you're after. It has an emulation system called WINE which is quite powerful in it's own right, and would be ok for games using SDL and OpenGL, but performs poorly, if at all for MS stuff...

Please don't let my comments detract from the "WOW" factor. Once you harness the power of a UNIX-like OS, it can be very hard to put up with the mediocre cr*p that MS calls an Operating System.

Enjoy your new found power!

SUBMAN1
09-11-07, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the tips and the links everybody. I think the main thing holding me back is my lack of knowledge on this new OS. Sometimes Linux frustrates the hell out of me and yet other times it just peaks out way further than XP. I guess I will use XP as a gaming platform and use Linux for everything else. XP is still so much easier for me to install games and other programs. I installed a game with WINE and now I can't figure out how to uninstall it for instance. :damn:

Later.

/usr is a likely place to search. Or /opt - some games like to install there. /usr/local is another place to look.

-S

SUBMAN1
09-11-07, 12:08 PM
Ati drivers from linux have sucked so far, Nvidia has better suport in that area tbh. Nut yeah you should keep the dual boot.

Actually I diagree with that statement. I find better support with ATI lately - they have drivers for everything, even though a lot of them are proprietary. And I'm ticked at NVidia for not giving me my BIOS assisted RAID drivers for Linux - they make the chipset that my board runs under for the Southbridge. No one can figure out how to make the RAID drivers work either - like you can for Sil RAID or Intel RAID's. NVidia used to be great! Problem is - they suck big time now. I can easily find NVidia drivers for my older NForce boards, but not for newer boards. I hate NVidia in the Linux rhealm lately.

The guys on the Gentoo forum found a solution though - they took their ASUS boards back and purchased Linux compatible versions. Nice.

-S

goldorak
09-11-07, 07:38 PM

Actually I diagree with that statement. I find better support with ATI lately - they have drivers for everything, even though a lot of them are proprietary. And I'm ticked at NVidia for not giving me my BIOS assisted RAID drivers for Linux - they make the chipset that my board runs under for the Southbridge. No one can figure out how to make the RAID drivers work either - like you can for Sil RAID or Intel RAID's. NVidia used to be great! Problem is - they suck big time now. I can easily find NVidia drivers for my older NForce boards, but not for newer boards. I hate NVidia in the Linux rhealm lately.

The guys on the Gentoo forum found a solution though - they took their ASUS boards back and purchased Linux compatible versions. Nice.

-S

Subman1 its true that ati drivers for chipset are better than nvidia's.
But for graphics card ati sux big time, and if you only want to use 3d accelerated graphics under linux/unix the only way is to get an nvidia card.
I've used ati cards for the past 6 years, and every single time i installed a version of linux i had non stopping problems with the graphics drivers.
Even matrox has better support than ati under linux.
Now i finally phased out ati and went with nvidia and the experience is so much smoother its not even funny. :yep:

Camaero
09-12-07, 01:08 AM
I'm an ex-IT admin and have used LINUX in one form or another for over ten years. I owned an ISP at one time and ran all 10 servers on SuSE Linux very successfully. One thing to keep in mind, Linux can be an incredible production enviroment for services like web serving, email servers and firewalling boxes. Or as a development tool using the GCC compilers and toolchain.

LINUX still has a long way to go to garner the kind of userbase that Windows has established over the years.

It is NOT going to fulfill any needs you may have in the gaming arena if that is what you're after. It has an emulation system called WINE which is quite powerful in it's own right, and would be ok for games using SDL and OpenGL, but performs poorly, if at all for MS stuff...

Please don't let my comments detract from the "WOW" factor. Once you harness the power of a UNIX-like OS, it can be very hard to put up with the mediocre cr*p that MS calls an Operating System.

Enjoy your new found power!

As far as website development, do you have any good suggestions when it comes to Linux? I have made a few on Front Page but I am curious if there are some better ones for free on Linux?

Zantham
09-12-07, 07:34 PM
Linux, especially Gentoo (which I also prefer) is an amazing system if you want to learn a lot about how your computer works. I heard ATI is supposed to be releasing a much-updated driver for its video, and also considering making it open source.

But, for all I may want to, i can't get rid of Windows. Linux is great if you don't mind doing lots of research trying to get stuff to work. But when you just need it to plain work now...I've found it very difficult, much like left-handed people must find a right-handed world.

The guys on the Gentoo forum found a solution though - they took their ASUS boards back and purchased Linux compatible versions.

I don't understand this...Asus does provide Linux drivers for their motherboards? All my Gentoo systems have been based on Asus motherboards? Why would the Gentoo people not like Asus?

SUBMAN1
09-13-07, 09:35 AM
Subman1 its true that ati drivers for chipset are better than nvidia's.
But for graphics card ati sux big time, and if you only want to use 3d accelerated graphics under linux/unix the only way is to get an nvidia card.
I've used ati cards for the past 6 years, and every single time i installed a version of linux i had non stopping problems with the graphics drivers.
Even matrox has better support than ati under linux.
Now i finally phased out ati and went with nvidia and the experience is so much smoother its not even funny. :yep:
Strange that you have been having issues. I have none of your described problems. Been running various ATI cards on Linux for years (And I have NVidia cards too that I have run, but haven't bought a new NVidia card in probably 3 to 4 years though). Yes, I use the proprietary driver versions, but they work find for me. No crashing, no nothing. 3D works perfectly.

THen again, I always run Gentoo which is specifically tailored / compiled to my systems instead of being open generic installs, so that might have something to do with it.

-S

Letum
09-13-07, 09:46 AM
I really wish Ubuntu had support for FAT32 and NTSF hard drive formats.

SUBMAN1
09-13-07, 10:14 AM
I really wish Ubuntu had support for FAT32 and NTSF hard drive formats.
It does or should. Never seen a Linux distro that didn't at least read/write FAT32 (This is how you dual boot anyway), and at least read NTFS. The kernel should have built in support for reading and writting all forms of the FAT files systems, but you may have to add support for NTFS - rebuild your kernel and add it.

-S

SUBMAN1
09-13-07, 01:41 PM
Here you go Letum - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

THat should take care of your NTFS woes on Ubuntu. I run Gentoo and just compile in support into the Kernel so I've never had the issue as you have had.

-S

Letum
09-13-07, 02:35 PM

THat should take care of your NTFS woes on Ubuntu. I run Gentoo and just compile in support into the Kernel so I've never had the issue as you have had.

-S

thanks a lot! :D

SUBMAN1
09-13-07, 05:18 PM

-S
thanks a lot! :D

np

-S