PDA

View Full Version : Rarest subsystem you've had destroyed?

Incubus
09-03-07, 09:15 PM
The most common things destroyed seem to be Periscope, Diesel and electric engines. But this game models tons of subsystems- many of which seem interdependent on each other (radio isn't much use if the antenna is blown off).

Does the game model the loss of subsystems correctly? Some things I wouldn't want destroyed-

Main Pump: Since damage is usually accompanied by flooding, I don't know how you would take care of it if the pump was out of commission.

Dive Plane transmission: Having it jammed at a downward angle would suck pretty badly.

TDC: I can just imagine this getting knocked out before seeing ships. I wonder if it affects solutions when TDC is on 'auto' mode in the difficulty settings :hmm:

An interesting oversight in this game: There is no 'fuel bunker' subsystem. I'm pretty sure in SH3 you could lose fuel (generally half of it at a time going bye-bye :huh:) But that doesn't happen here. However, I did notice if you lose a diesel engine you lose something like 2/3 or 3/4 of your fuel instantly, which is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Whats the most banged up your sub has been and still returned to port? I remember a SH3 post with some people that had 3% hull integrity. Also, are there any mods that give more in-depth data about the status of the systems on your boat?

Rockin Robbins
09-04-07, 07:22 AM
I used to be a lot braver against air attacks until I had damaged fuel bunkers and didn't get back to base when I had plenty of fuel. For some reason it doesn't show up on the damage board, but it still happens. I don't voluntarily play with airplanes now.

SteamWake
09-04-07, 09:30 AM
I had the antenna mast destroyed once.

Radio still worked though :hmm:

donut
09-04-07, 09:43 AM
Missing rudder:arrgh!:

CanadianSilentHunter
09-04-07, 12:45 PM
Was unable to return to base, I had no Dive plane or Rudder Transmission and I lost a propeller, I tried to steer, and my sub only did a straight line, I was able to finish of the destroyer, but could only sail in a straight line, and that line didn't take me to a base, I stopped for a few days, but my DCT couldn't repair. After taking a look with the outside camera, it dawned on me I couldn't fix it, becuase I didn't have it. I had a huge hole in the rear left of my sub. I have pictures but don't know how to post them on here or I would let everyone see what happend!!!!

SteamWake
09-04-07, 12:56 PM
Was unable to return to base, I had no Dive plane or Rudder Transmission and I lost a propeller, I tried to steer, and my sub only did a straight line, I was able to finish of the destroyer, but could only sail in a straight line, and that line didn't take me to a base, I stopped for a few days, but my DCT couldn't repair. After taking a look with the outside camera, it dawned on me I couldn't fix it, becuase I didn't have it. I had a huge hole in the rear left of my sub. I have pictures but don't know how to post them on here or I would let everyone see what happend!!!!

Oh we believe you. I think its happened to most of us at least once.

You have two choices. 1.) Start a new carrier or 2.) load a previous save.

To put it in a nutshell ... you are screwed.

cali03boss
09-04-07, 01:18 PM
3rd patrol, came home to port with practically every subsystem destroyed. Couldn't dive without sinking, only had one engine, batteries shot, both scopes down, perminant hull damage, and the firing mechanisms on my front torpedo subsystem was down.

Captain_AJ
09-04-07, 04:12 PM
i dont mess With Airplanes In this Game Unlike SH3 they seem different a bit more accurate and Agressive

les green01
09-04-07, 05:05 PM
my main pump got destoy once went down like a rock

storm_fella
09-04-07, 05:15 PM

Call me a pedant, but he's *lost* a propeller. He's unscrewed.

I'll get me coat.

CanadianSilentHunter
09-04-07, 06:26 PM
[quote=CanadianSilentHunter]Was unable to return to base, I had no Dive plane or Rudder Transmission and I lost a propeller, I tried to steer, and my sub only did a straight line, I was able to finish of the destroyer, but could only sail in a straight line, and that line didn't take me to a base, I stopped for a few days, but my DCT couldn't repair. After taking a look with the outside camera, it dawned on me I couldn't fix it, becuase I didn't have it. I had a huge hole in the rear left of my sub. I have pictures but don't know how to post them on here or I would let everyone see what happend!!!!

I have a picture showing that I do not have the use of one of my propellers, I suggest you keep the name calling to yourself. Take a look around the forums a little more before you tell me that losing a propeller is not possible. Have a good night Bilge Rat.

storm_fella
09-04-07, 06:51 PM
[quote=SteamWake][quote=CanadianSilentHunter]Was unable to return to base, I had no Dive plane or Rudder Transmission and I lost a propeller,

I have a picture showing that I do not have the use of one of my propellers, I suggest you keep the name calling to yourself. Take a look around the forums a little more before you tell me that losing a propeller is not possible. Have a good night Bilge Rat.

:oops: Quite seriously, I apologize for any issues my post could have caused. I really didn't mean to call you names, and as far as the propeller is concerned, it *has* happened to me as well. I wasn't as lucky and ended up well below crush-depth.

CanadianSilentHunter
09-04-07, 07:10 PM
Just letting you know, losing a propeller is possible and doesn't require any name calling, the moderator won't put up with it so I figured I'd give you a heads up. No problems, any more questions don't be afraid to ask. Dan

kurohone
09-04-07, 07:14 PM
Just letting you know, losing a propeller is possible and doesn't require any name calling, the moderator won't put up with it so I figured I'd give you a heads up. No problems, any more questions don't be afraid to ask. Dan

I think it was a joke. A really bad one.

Propeller = screw

No propeller = unscrewed.

Personally, I would have said you had a screw loose (lose?) personally...;P

simonb1612
09-04-07, 07:14 PM
Storm, you must be from England. I don't know if many on this forum picked up on your fastshow quote :)

kurohone
09-04-07, 07:15 PM
On topic, I haven't had any funny subsystems destroyed, but I _do_ very clearly remember the time I learnt that crashing planes aren't just pretty graphics. :dead:

Krauter
09-05-07, 11:16 AM
Rarest system i've lost was when i was running night ops in the mouth of Tokyo Bay, got 60,000 Tonnes, ran home, got abut 1,200 miles off shore of Japan, radioed my position thinking the nips cant reach me out here wit AC n ill hear the ships.

Well, the next day i get bombed by 3 Bettys , all bombs hit stern:dead:
Ends up they knocked out all diesels, dive pla,es rudders, props, and stern fish bowl.

So fuming i had to load up from a month prior whilst i was just ENTERING the bay:damn:

With Regards,

Krauter

silentscorp1971
09-05-07, 10:17 PM
Speaking of bombs a fuel. I didn't get under quick enough during an early patrol and took a bomb hit. My fuel level meter ran out like a full charged battery at flank speed and 8000 TC! It dumped every gallon into the ocean. I emergency surfaced and waited out the bombing runs without another hit. By then I had repaired enough to decend 5 feet and get under battery power at 1/3. I travelled to a nearby island and scuttled offshore. :|\\

silentscorp1971
09-06-07, 02:42 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/silentscorp1971/coffeecup.jpg

Can it get worse than that?

silentscorp1971
09-07-07, 08:10 PM
Come on now.. bad photo editing aside, thats pretty funny. ^^^ :yep: :yep: :yep:

SteamWake
09-07-07, 09:05 PM
Speaking of bombs a fuel. I didn't get under quick enough during an early patrol and took a bomb hit. My fuel level meter ran out like a full charged battery at flank speed and 8000 TC! It dumped every gallon into the ocean. I emergency surfaced and waited out the bombing runs without another hit. By then I had repaired enough to decend 5 feet and get under battery power at 1/3. I travelled to a nearby island and scuttled offshore. :|\\

Did ya find any sturdy island women to while away your time ?

Truth is if you scuttled on some god forsaken rock in the pacific in that time period you were either Rescued :p , Over run by Japaneese :dead: , or ... uh.. forgotten :dead:

Dont care much for those odds.

silentscorp1971
09-07-07, 09:16 PM
We took all our provisions and our radio. We finally made contact with a coast watcher via shortwave who managed to get picked up by submarine 2 weeks later. :p

NefariousKoel
09-07-07, 11:38 PM
The native headhunters found me after my first scuttling. :dead:

QuillOmega0
09-08-07, 02:17 AM
I don't know how this one happens, but I've had a few diesals and electric engines put out of commission. However it seems when this happens it put my entire diesal propulsion system out of commission, even though I still had a couple working diesals left. At the very least I should've been able to ge ta charge. :\