PDA

View Full Version : Indian Navy to commission Akula-II

Sea Demon
08-31-07, 02:06 AM
Here's a story about it.

http://intellibriefs.blogspot.com/2007/08/india-secret-nuke-sub-deal.html

So this was true after all. :hmm: I wonder what weapons the Russians will sell to India to be used on this Akula.

EDIT - I wonder how much truth there is here. It says it will be armed with nuclear cruise missiles with a range over 1,000 Km.

Officerpuppy
08-31-07, 11:31 AM
Here's a story about it.

EDIT - I wonder how much truth there is here. It says it will be armed with nuclear cruise missiles with a range over 1,000 Km.

That's probablly to scare Pakistan a bit :know:

Jimbuna
08-31-07, 11:34 AM
If that happens, I wonder what weaponry the west will give to Pakistan ? :hmm:

Kapitan
08-31-07, 03:08 PM
See i told you so!

months and months ago i did say the russians were leasing a akula II to india and they have.

also the weaponsry going with the akulas will be SS-N-27 they have the 1000km range and also nuclear capible.

The skhval may be included then its just what ever else goes in the 53-65 all veriants.

Linton
08-31-07, 04:11 PM
Does anybody know where in India it will be based?

Kapitan
08-31-07, 04:17 PM
They built a whole new naval base i forget where but most likely be there.

Lafferty
08-31-07, 04:25 PM
Wow never knew the Russian Navy leased one of their subs.

Officerpuppy
08-31-07, 04:40 PM
Wow never knew the Russian Navy leased one of their subs.

Trying to get rid of their 07 stock to make way for the new 08's. :lol:

Linton
08-31-07, 04:49 PM
I tried the official Indian Navy website.It is as annoying as one of the people who spend all day before they answer your telephone call in a sub-continent call center and then give you an incomprehensible answer tro your question!!

Kapitan
09-01-07, 02:50 AM
They havnt just leased one they will have two of them, they leased two charlie II's back in the 1980's / 90's the jugar and rys are the ones they are leasing.

Steel_Tomb
09-01-07, 04:25 AM
Do you think the yanks are developing their own varient of the Shykval? It seems that every nation that is openly opposed to the US (USS...oops...I meant russia :rotfl:, China, Iran...and now its been given to India, a developing nation which isn't exactly the most stable socially wise. I mean you just have to look at the tensions between India and Pakistan. Why doesn't the UN get some balls and bring an end to the sale of hi tech weaponary to nations who are playing dangerous games. This may not include India, but deffinately Iran and China...who are on very thin ice indeed.

Swede
09-01-07, 07:24 AM
You guys have got it all wrong, they arent leasing a sub to india, they are outsourcing their navy:rotfl:

Rav3n
09-01-07, 12:34 PM
They havnt just leased one they will have two of them, they leased two charlie II's back in the 1980's / 90's the jugar and rys are the ones they are leasing.

Do you have a link about the second Charlie class? I am almost certain they leased only one.

Regarding the Akula. I read somewhere that the unfinished hulls Kugar and Rys you are refering to are beeing used to finish the next two Borey classes, at least sections from them. The Akula India is leasing is said to be the newly launched Nerpa from Amur shipyard (Russian officials denies this though and says the Nerpa will join Russia's Pacific Fleet in 2007) I think they have one more unfinished hull at Amur. But that one is also said to be transfered up north and used in the Borey project.

fatty
09-01-07, 12:47 PM
Russo-Indian trading and partnership has a looooong history, dating back to the Cold War, in fact the PRC once threw a tantrum because the Soviets were favouring the Indians over them. The two states collaborated on that epic new BrahMos missile a few years ago, Russia is still in the middle of transferring the Gorshkov carrier to India, and of course the bulk of the Indian Air Force is made up of MiGs, Sukhois, and Ilyushins.

The more you know :know:

Rav3n
09-05-07, 03:37 PM
Some more information about the unfinished Akula hulls Rys and Kugar: http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,134118,00.html

"
Subsequently, the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Vladimir Kuroyedov, said that a “redesigned” Yuri Dolgorukiy would be completed in 2007. The new submarine employs the bow and stern pressure hull sections -- including the propulsion section -- of the Project 971 (NATO Akula II)-class submarine Kuguar. Work on that torpedo-attack submarine(SSN )was also stopped after the collapse of the Soviet Union, making her components available for the new SSBN.
Similarly, the second unit, the Alexandr Nevskiy, is being constructed with sections of the fourth Akula II SSN, which had been assigned the name Rys’. Some components for the other new SSBNs are being shipped to Severodvinsk from the Komsomol’sk shipyard in the Far East, which previously cuilt nuclear-propelled submarines."

Second Akula sub for India. http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,148100,00.html
Last llnk also says one Charlie class leased 1988-1991..Not two.

SUBMAN1
09-05-07, 04:31 PM
No wonder Pakistan is trying to buy German u214's!

-S