PDA

View Full Version : Lost submariner, World War II

woodstock74
08-29-07, 07:42 PM
I'm attempting to research where and in what sub a neighbor's brother went down in during World War II. Through researching I've been able to confirm that the brother was indeed in the Navy (never take anything for granted), was a Electrician's Mate 1st Class, his Service # (I'm assuming this is like military SSN?), as well as a date of death. But the date of death doesn't coincide with any submarine loss and searching oneternalpatrol.com doesn't bring the name up. Any ideas? Are there any other websites with searchable casulty archives of Navy losses in WWII? At this point I haven't been able to confirm that this person was indeed serving on a sub so I have to go where ever this takes me, any suggestions?

Additionally, he's listed as KIA and not MIA. So I'm begining to wonder if he was a causulty on a sub that made it back and was buried at sea? If he went down with a sub wouldn't he be listed as MIA?

Lafferty
08-29-07, 09:29 PM
usually they would be listed as MIA unless they are known to have gone down.

woodstock74
08-29-07, 09:34 PM
I doubled back and noted he's listed as both "KIA" and "Lost at Sea" in various archives (of which none say where he died or on what vessel). He is listed on the Missing in Action or Buried at Sea Tablets of the Missing at West Coast Memorial in Presidio, California. But frustratingly nothing has listed the info I'm after. So still no confirmation if he was a Submariner.

Lafferty
08-29-07, 09:38 PM
hmmm that sounds really frustrating. I will look to see if anyone i know can find a page with the info that you need.

woodstock74
08-29-07, 09:50 PM
hmmm that sounds really frustrating. I will look to see if anyone i know can find a page with the info that you need.

It was rather satisfying to a point as I only started out with a name and a month and year in which he died (and which I initially assumed was simply the month they were notified, turns out its right)--which is another odd thing, the memorial lists the exact day he died, almost had me wondering if he was killed in action on a sub that made it back. All the crew lists of missing Submariners that I've checked online have come to nothing. If you have any ideas I'm open to them! Are there similar pages for the surface fleet? I have to consider that "family folklore" might play into this but so far its been correct (service, date of death).

At this point I'm looking to file a SF180 form with the government. As I'm not next of kin I beleive I can file this requesting a service record. But that will add who knows how many weeks/months to this search.

Additionally, is there a national submarine service memorial or museum? I've emailed the guys at the SS Bowfin Submarine museum (they are the ones that run oneternalpatrol.com) regarding my delemma but haven't had a reply back.

lesrae
08-30-07, 12:43 PM
Not much help, but it's a shame you don't have something like the Commonwealth War Grave Commission: http://www.cwgc.org/ (http://www.cwgc.org/).

Lafferty
08-30-07, 05:41 PM
I was just meaning i bet its frustrating not being able to find out if he was killed in action or what?

woodstock74
08-31-07, 08:05 PM
I was just meaning i bet its frustrating not being able to find out if he was killed in action or what?

Yes, understand. And you're right, it is. This search has come to a stand still as I've tapped all my resources for the moment. Will have to dip back to my primary source and see if she can recall anything else about her brother.

Additionally, I've found him now listing as "Lost at Sea", "KIA", and "Missing". Still no confirmation at all if he was on a sub as multiple trawls through the online sub casualty lists doesn't show his name.

August
08-31-07, 10:20 PM
Yes, understand. And you're right, it is. This search has come to a stand still as I've tapped all my resources for the moment. Will have to dip back to my primary source and see if she can recall anything else about her brother.

Additionally, I've found him now listing as "Lost at Sea", "KIA", and "Missing". Still no confirmation at all if he was on a sub as multiple trawls through the online sub casualty lists doesn't show his name.

There should be some veterans associations you could check with. They would at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Also his military service records might be available under the Freedom of Information Act. That would show if he was sub qualified, as well as his last ship or posting.

Here:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/veterans-and-next-of-kin.html

woodstock74
09-01-07, 08:05 PM

There should be some veterans associations you could check with. They would at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Also his military service records might be available under the Freedom of Information Act. That would show if he was sub qualified, as well as his last ship or posting.

Here:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/veterans-and-next-of-kin.html

Unfortunately I'm not next of kin or any relation. I'm just the neighbor. Though I think I can file a SF180 form and that should tell me what I'm after. Just not keen on the time delay and a bit befuddled why I can track down this rather basic information on the web. There seems to be a fundamental flaw in my information.

Mush Martin
09-01-07, 08:22 PM
its possible that he was lost but the sub was not.

woodstock74
09-02-07, 07:13 AM
its possible that he was lost but the sub was not.

I've considered that possibility but he should still show on the list of submarine casualties at oneternalpatrol.com.