PDA

View Full Version : Your Windows is not Genuine

kiwi_2005
08-29-07, 12:52 AM
Dont panic!

Story here
http://tinyurl.com/25c6ch

The WGA service (which checks the legality of your copy of Windows) has crashed worldwide and some folks who try to get updates report they just can't get them, or worse, their copies of Windows are being determined as invalid (i.e. illegal).

MS has just fixed this error. I got this last week when i went to update only to get told my windows is not genuine. Did another update today and all was fine.

(http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070825-windows-genuine-advantage-suffers-worldwide-outage-problems-galore.html)

HunterICX
08-29-07, 05:58 AM
Windows updates?

I never used it, I just config my system to never update.
I dont need the service packs or updates as they only manage to waste my time for little difference and extra junk which I dont need. and mostly at the end of the story you will lose it all when the XP messed itself up which It mostly does. and you can do it all over again.

I'm running XP from the disc for more then 1 1/2 year now without problems.

Letum
08-29-07, 06:05 AM
Windows updates?

I dont need the service packs or updates as they only manage to waste my time for little difference and extra junk which I dont need. and mostly at the end of the story you will lose it all when the XP messed itself up which It mostly does. and you can do it all over again.

Oh, I dunno,
I update manualy from M$'s site.
The updates are usualy good stuff.

Rilder
08-29-07, 06:25 AM
Yeah I never have problem with windows update except when it does one of those completely stupid "In 5 minutes your computer will restart whether you like it or not"

peterloo
08-29-07, 06:27 AM
Windows updates?

Friendly remainder - the update stuff is very useful, which helps to block existing system loopholes which can be exploited by hackers. Consider doing updates and install newest service pack to decrease your vulnerability towards hackers

The "counterfeit" message coming from an error... Perhaps Microsoft is too devolted to Vista and other stuffs, and didn't pay much attention on the existing Windows XP. Just let it go & forget about it. We arn't supermen, and mistakes do happens.

SUBMAN1
08-30-07, 02:28 PM
Windows updates?

We should title this thread - life on the edge! Of course most of these service packs just pack on more bloat, so I hear ya! On the other hand, it plugs holes, so its a catch 22 thing.

-S

Lafferty
08-30-07, 05:43 PM
yeah i never have mine update. And so far i've not had any problems.

kiwi_2005
08-30-07, 11:35 PM
When i was on dialup i never updated - even tho the file might only be 2mb that was 10 minutes wasted waiting for it to happen so i can get back to browsing smoothly:lol:
With broadband i always update with the "tell me when updates are available" option then i choose what updates i want. I dont have it on auto updates.

d@rk51d3
08-30-07, 11:53 PM
The only thing that I hate, is the updates that just won't install.:damn: :damn: :nope: