PDA

View Full Version : Damage to Enemy ships?

chopped50ford
08-28-07, 07:17 PM
I noticed that when your firing your guns at an enemy ship damage does not occur as it should.

What I mean is; you fire your gun at AA or deck gun emplacements and they keep firing at you. Isnt there a button for the deck gun crew to aim thier fire at weapon locations?

Is the game setup for these areas to "blow up" and stop functioning? Its like the US rounds have no affect on the crew and they keep firing back (no matter how many 3 50 rounds you stick in them) until the ship is destroyed.

Also, the superstructure doesnt seem to sustain any damage either, if you take out the bridge, shouldnt the ship be rendered "out of control" or "uncontrollable"? (considering if they dont have an auxilliary helm location on the ship - below decks perhaps?

Is there a significant difference between HE and AP 3 50 and 4 50 rounds for the deck gun?

Packerton
08-28-07, 08:02 PM
Well in SH3 you could take out the weapons im pretty sure their IS a way to order the crew to target the weapons in SH 4

chopped50ford
08-29-07, 03:28 AM
I know you could in SH3, but I notice in SH4 it seems impossible, you cant disable thier weapons.:damn:

Von Tonner
08-29-07, 05:25 AM
Yes, I've noticed that too, you cannot take out their guns. The only visible damage which one seems to have on merchants is blowing their stack off or you hit some vital spot and the ship blows up. IRL the AA crew would keep the merchant gunners heads down while the deck gun went about its business. Sadly, this does not work in game - their guns will always fire at you until they sink.

tater
08-29-07, 08:50 AM
The DC racks blow up... might be worth looking at the damage models for guns or gun crews I suppose.

A better model would really be supression, not destructions of guns.

donut
08-29-07, 09:10 AM
The DC racks blow up... might be worth looking at the damage models for guns or gun crews I suppose.

A better model would really be supression, not destructions of guns.
Just down your alley.:rotfl:

FreddaH
08-29-07, 09:26 AM
I could have sworn the other day when I was surprised by an armed merchantman that I was able to disable his deck gun with my own. He stopped firing at any rate. Then yesterday when I was trying to repeat the feat on another ship, the bugger almost sank me despite me having hit directly on his deck gun at least 8 times. That confused me somewhat.

Perhaps there is a way to destroy the deck guns, but it's chance based?

/Fredda

SteamWake
08-29-07, 09:33 AM
It can be done (disable opponents guns) but they have to be a total wreck. Otherwise the brave IJN soldiers continue to man the thing regardless of what is going on around them. In the mean time your wasting rounds that would be better off striking the hull.

Ive never seen a round ricoche either but in real life they did that all the time.

At some point you have to say hey its just a game after all and not everything can behave as it would in real life.