PDA

View Full Version : DNA database - trouble in security paradise

Skybird
08-27-07, 07:19 PM
Call George Cowley - he'll get it fixed, and "Pronto!"

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article2896193.ece

"One in seven entries wrong".

And in a comment I read: "the number of known made entries, and the real size of the databank, differ by over 13%."

If I were a British citizen, I would need two mints now.

SUBMAN1
08-28-07, 12:08 PM
...If I were a British citizen, I would need two mints now.

Don't worry, I'll eat two for you! On the second one now!

-S

STEED
08-29-07, 04:52 AM
And they want the rest of us on a database, this shows how things are here in the UK a sad fact of life. The ID Card is on hold for the moment as Labour want to be elected yet again and if they are well we shall see.

Letum
08-29-07, 05:59 AM
I swear I will refuse to carry a ID card. Prison or no!

STEED
08-29-07, 07:43 AM
The eye scanner is flawed and the recognition of fingerprints has all so hit a problem. People with well warned fingers like farmers, the scanner just can not recognize there prints.

And let us not forget 400,000 civil servants can view your information, talk about open to abuse.

STEED
08-29-07, 07:47 AM
I swear I will refuse to carry a ID card. Prison or no!

Don't forget the next one on the agenda which I do not like one bit.

RFID in humans, I only hope there will be a backlash to that if they ever start hinting on that one.

Skybird
08-29-07, 08:23 AM
The eye scanner is flawed and the recognition of fingerprints has all so hit a problem. People with well warned fingers like farmers, the scanner just can not recognize there prints.

And let us not forget 400,000 civil servants can view your information, talk about open to abuse.
President of the German BKA (German FBI version) has rejected the use of face recognition scanners on railway stations where they were tested. Under most optimal light conditions the different systems (three systems, i think) they tested produced 30% false alarms. At darker conditons the rate was much higher (up to 80%).

tycho102
08-29-07, 01:32 PM
"One in seven entries wrong".
Yeah, as the database grows, the need for database filters also grows. It's an anticipated cycle. It will take a massive effort to get all the cross-referencing functions developed for the database. Fingerprints, addresses, names, birth dates -- all the identification fields will have to be compared against all the other fields, in order to identify false information. This is no different than current ID databases, other than the size of the database.

The practical upshot?

You'll be able to sell the.....technology.....to everyone else that also wants to develop their own database. This is very quickly going to include America and China. Probably Russia.