PDA

View Full Version : Interception Margin of Error

GC1CEO
08-27-07, 05:47 PM
Newbie Alert!

One problem I have run into with interceptions is that a ship traveling E (for example) isn't precisely at 90 degrees, it can be as far as 70-100 degrees (usually closer to 85-95 degrees). This means with 100 percent realism, I could be dozens if not hundreds of nm off course by going with precise bearings like that.

Anybody know how to deal with that, or is just a matter of trial and error?

Heibges
08-27-07, 05:49 PM
It's just one of those realistic things you have to deal with being a sub commander.

Sometimes the reported course and/or speed of a contact just is not that accurate.

If you have not interceptred the contact at the suspected time, you can do a soundcheck to see if you can locate it that way.

onelifecrisis
08-27-07, 06:05 PM
You mean a method for finding the convoy or a method to find it's exact course once you've spotted the ships? Well here's something for both (probably someone has better methods but here are mine anyway)

To find the convoy you should chart a "probability corridor" or whatever it's called, just like in the navigation tutorial video, but make it get wider and wider as it gets further away from the convoy's position. A little math can ensure that your progress along the corrider is quicker than theirs (if you're behind them) or slower (if you're ahead of them). This works well for me.

To get their exact course... one method is simply approach the convoy and get into line ahead of (or behind) one of the convoy lines... aim down the scope so you have a nice neat line of ships sailing away from you, and hey presto, you've got their course :). Retreat, flank, submerge... and attack :smug: assuming they didn't change course :stare: