PDA

View Full Version : Olympic fire?

Skybird
08-26-07, 05:27 AM
I read in german newspapers that Greek officials get quoted, saying that "over 50%" of the ground of the country currently is burning. there is a smoke fan on satellite pictures, reaching several hundred kilometers towards SW direction. Wowh.

Police and fireworkers say that intentional arson by ground speculators is top on the list, followed by open self-enflaming garbage dumbs, and finally negligence.

They have a law since some years that prohibits ground that was burned from being available for buying, to fight speculators, it's just that they failed to make this law wellknown. So fires still get intentionally set although - at least by the law'S intention - the speculation behind the intention should not work and bring no profits. they also did not pay attention to the warninbgs that the firebrigades are ill-quipped and not able to fight major desasters due to bad organization and lacking equipment.

Criminal energy meets incompetence meets individual stupditiy. It was often said before that this or that place or land was burning, which usually meant that there are regions with many fires. But it is no exaggeration that "Greece is burning" in fact - most of it.

:dead:

Letum
08-26-07, 05:51 AM
Last year property developers started several fires so they could claim land for building.

Looks like it happened again this year. :nope:

Skybird
08-26-07, 06:25 AM
Last year property developers started several fires so they could claim land for building.

Looks like it happened again this year. :nope:
Yes, but as I said - they already have implemented a law since years that should stop these claims. It is not allowed anymore. I seem to remember that it was introduced not before the EU put heavy pressure on Greece to do it - which may be an indicator how far up the corruption goes. But nobody knows about this law, or does not believe it, or think he will get a special permission nevertheless.