PDA

View Full Version : GWX and the Avro Anson

Kptlt. Neuerburg
08-23-07, 05:42 PM
During my second patrol to the north of Scotland I was attacked by two Avro Ansons. But I don't think the Brits ever used it for anti-sub patrols. From what I know about them they where used for training, transport and for recon. Nor could they carry bombs weighing more than 20 to 50 pounds!!

bookworm_020
08-23-07, 07:03 PM
Yes they were used for Anti sub patrols for a short time and even made an successful attack on a u-boat, with a probable hit.

It was being phased out of martime patrols when the war began and being replaced by the Whitley and the Hudson. It found it's true calling as training aircraft and stayed in RAF service till 1968!

headcase
08-23-07, 08:16 PM
It might not be a Mossy, but anything that flies is bad news for us. Even a 50lb bomb can be very bad news for a pressure hull.

Brag
08-23-07, 09:28 PM
Ansons, schmansons. See one: Aaaaalarm, dive!

Pants
08-23-07, 10:08 PM
The only planes that bother me are the ones with rockets :damn:

HMCS
08-23-07, 10:33 PM
The Ansons were one of many a/c that Coastal Command had to use; they were "sucking at the hind teat" for resources, as it were. They really wanted Lancasters, but Bomber Harris wouldn't let them have any. It's a tragedy, because thousands of Merchant Seamen died because of inter-service and political rivalries at Whitehall.

I see the plane as pretty much 'representative' of the many types that would have been thrown into the role of a/s.

Packerton
08-24-07, 12:16 AM
I think that you were the sub they made a Sucessful Attack on :rotfl:

HMCS
08-24-07, 01:32 AM
Actually, no.:shifty:

the only a/c that give me s**t conniptions are the Sunderlands and Catalinas. Though I haven't met Dumbo yet...

Cezbor
08-24-07, 04:12 AM
Actually, no.:shifty:

the only a/c that give me s**t conniptions are the Sunderlands and Catalinas. Though I haven't met Dumbo yet...

Than maybe you should meet Wellingtons, ...... those baybies wil give you hell or test how fast you can crashdive:D

papa_smurf
08-24-07, 09:59 AM
Ansons are not to be sneezed at! - Iv'e been attacked by a few going past scapa flow, and have been damaged by them. I was even sunk by one as I was crash diving:damn: - He got a bomb right onto my conning tower, causing heavy flooding and sunk straight to the bottom!.