PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo to Texas Governor Rick Perry

The Avon Lady
08-23-07, 06:20 AM
He just told the EU to bugger off (http://www.governor.state.tx.us/divisions/press/pressreleases/PressRelease.2007-08-21.0521). :rock:

Swede
08-23-07, 06:26 AM
Europe could do with harsher penalties for real crimes

CCIP
08-23-07, 10:48 AM
I'm sort of against the whole death penalty thing in principle, but if there's anything I learned about Texans... well, really, I don't see why Europe even bothered :lol:

Way to tell them!

Tchocky
08-23-07, 11:02 AM
Arrrrticle (http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2154337,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront)

I can see no better way of guaranteeing the execution than the EU asking them not to do it.

China, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan. Good company :-?

The Avon Lady
08-23-07, 11:09 AM
You forgot to include the baseless moral equivalency disclaimer. :roll:

tycho102
08-23-07, 01:40 PM
I have significant problems with the death penalities applied to 1960-1980 cases. I want to see a massive $100 billion DNA compositing of evidence. A huge damn database of evidence. The completely innocent people on death-row need to be exonerated, now. The practical upshot to this is the entire infrastructure necessary to do the compositing could be used for current identification. There would need to be criminal laws against corporations forming their own DNA identification database as people are checked against the national one, with CEO's and CIO's sent to please-check-my-rectum-with-your-logic-probe prison.

It would be no more of a problem than current identification methods. People who have their address, name, SSN, and birthdate stolen currently have just as much problem as someone having their DNA-identification-profile stolen. "Fool-proof" methods are possible, but our entire economic structure would have to revolve around those methods (it's easier to forge the digital information than to replicate the iris / retina / DNA / tongue-buds / nasal-polyps / god-I-don't-want-to-know-what-else-can-be-used-to-identify-me).

The markers used to identify you by DNA are not the same ones which identify your genetic "flaws". They're in seperate areas of the chain, naturally, because two diabetes patients would come across as the same people -- unless one also had cystic fibrosis.

kurtz
08-29-07, 08:19 PM
Well...I'm shaky on the history of the colonies (re matey's throwing off the yoke speech) but didn't Texas want to stay English, like most states and thta's why they were attacked by the Union. Feel free to shoot me down in flames...

Onkel Neal
08-29-07, 08:28 PM
Nah, Texas was still Indian country when the 13 colonies withdrew from the crown.

waste gate
08-29-07, 08:28 PM
You are way off the mark when it comes to the Lone Star State.

LoBlo
08-29-07, 08:50 PM
http://www.theinmatelocator.com/images/texas_flag.jpg

LoBlo
08-29-07, 08:54 PM
Well...I'm shaky on the history of the colonies (re matey's throwing off the yoke speech) but didn't Texas want to stay English, like most states and thta's why they were attacked by the Union. Feel free to shoot me down in flames...

Them's down right fighting words!:o

*pulls out the bazooka*
*aims...*
*Kabloom!*

Texas at one point was its own country. It had fought a war with Mexico (at one time a area claimed and controlled by the Mexican government, but increasingly populated by American settlers). After a short while as a country it joined the US. It was apart of the Civil war when some states tried to disband and form another country... which thankfully didn't succeed.

Fish
08-30-07, 03:12 PM
Arrrrticle (http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2154337,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront)

I can see no better way of guaranteeing the execution than the EU asking them not to do it.

Most Executions carried out in 2006

1. China (at least 1,010 but sources suggest the real tally is between 7,500 and 8,000)
2. Iran (177)
3. Pakistan (82)
4. Iraq (at least 65)
5. Sudan (at least 65)
6. United States (53)Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and the U.S. are the only fully developed countries that have retained the death penalty.