PDA

View Full Version : RAF Eurofighters scrambled for first time

Weigh-Man
08-21-07, 04:12 PM
It seems the russians are at it again, link and photo's

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1280809,00.html

Iceman
08-21-07, 04:16 PM
Don't try to make the Russians out to be some big bad wolf...are they not allowed to fly in they're own airspace?

The Russians are at it again...sorry but that rings silly.

Weigh-Man
08-21-07, 04:18 PM
It was meant in a light hearted fashion, god you need to lighten up.

Chock
08-21-07, 04:18 PM
Oh no, the Russians are coming to threaten our ridiculous house prices, stupidly high taxes, obsession with political correctness, non-industial economy based entirely on crap call-centres and our insistance on letting semtex-wielding religious nut-jobs live here! How on Earth are we going to protect and preserve the way of life we hold so dear from this evil threat?!!

:D Chock

bigboywooly
08-21-07, 05:04 PM
are they not allowed to fly in they're own airspace?

Ummmm

RAF Typhoons intercepted a Russian warplane as it approached British airspace

Much the same as the US did when they flew to Guam the other week

waste gate
08-21-07, 05:25 PM
I have yet to decide how I feel about the Russians expanding their operations ala cold war. It may keep the Chinese in check. It may excite new east-west antagonisms. It may strengthen NATO. It may scare the EU. It may be part of the 'new world order' with a tripartate economic alliance (guess which three).

Too early to tell.

Skybird
08-21-07, 05:36 PM
Not the first but third time, if I am not counting wrong.

I already adapted to it by now, finding these Russian flights increasingly boring :D

Konovalov
08-21-07, 05:52 PM
Not the first but third time, if I am not counting wrong.

I already adapted to it by now, finding these Russian flights increasingly boring :D

This is just one big expensive test put on by the Russian Govt to educate us in basic mathematics. ;)

Skybird
08-21-07, 05:59 PM
... or ballistic mathematics. ;)

Stealth Hunter
08-22-07, 12:05 AM
Now I suppose you'll be doing it to us Iranians next.:shifty:

Jackasses...:hulk:

Packerton
08-22-07, 12:10 AM
*Expects anytime now to be Drafted to war against russia in the Artic* :rotfl:

Oberon
08-22-07, 12:31 AM
The Russians aren't 'in', Islamic terrorists are in. The Russians are so 1980s, you need to get up to date with the new fashions! :rock:

Dmitry Markov
08-22-07, 02:36 AM
Yeah 80's cool! :rock: High hair-cuts, mad clothes, Whitesnake and so on ;) If only Cameron could shot something like first Terminator or Aliens :roll: Hope that Arnold Schwartznegger would get up politics and return to action movies!!

Best Regards!

The Avon Lady
08-22-07, 02:43 AM
The Russians aren't 'in', Islamic terrorists are in. The Russians are so 1980s, you need to get up to date with the new fashions! :rock:
The Russians are supplying Iran with nuclear facilities and technicians.

They're also supplying sophisticated weaponry to Iran and Syria, therefore to Hizballah in Lebanon as well.

By coincidence (maybe, maybe not), it was the 39th anniversary of "Prague Spring" and here is the news (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070821/pl_nm/russia_czech_general_dc_2). Is that Russia picking on the little guys again?

Dmitry Markov
08-22-07, 04:12 AM
AL , personally I don't understand why our government has business with Iran - they do not pay correctly for our facilities and technicians :) Also I am not fond very much of their government and their anti-Israel position, but our country needs to sell goods (and in this case nuclear technologies are goods) and unfortunately Iran is our market :down: The same with sophisticated weapons. But as far as I know our government are trying to sell them land-to-air missiles which are non-agressive weapons and Iran has it's right to defend as any other country. Though my own sympathy was always on the Israel's side like sympathies of lots of people I know personally.

As with "Prague's Spring" - it's usual conduct of a big empire to it's mutinous satellite - much resembles USA's position towards Iraq and Iran and Afganistan and Vietnam and Panama. It's god-forbid state of affairs that it was and is between us and czechs (at least we didn't bomb them). They just cannot forgive us for that and their politicians are playing on that feeling of csech people messing with these American radar which aim is of course not to protect Europe from Iran (if they wanted to do so they should accept our offer of using Gaballa's station - it situated much more effective and technically is much more suitable than anything they could build in Czech Republic). The most strange thing - their Minister of Defence has presented A SONG about radar to mr Bush during his visit to Czechia :88) . Sounds absolutely like story about chinese farmer who during Culture Revolution has crossed the country to tell Mao that life in his village has become more joyous :hmm: Think they soon would destroy monuments to Soviet Soldiers that died on their land to free them from Hitler and build monuments to Bush and his radar instead :shifty: I just wonder why slovenians, serbs, slovaks, bulgarians and many other peoples do not have such a state of mind to our country? They also were into this damn communism with us but they are still grateful for their liberation from Hitler.

I think it's all about that USA's government can spend more money to produce damn "orange revolutions" and support those leaders than our government can spend to support those little allies that we still have. Unfortunately most of those regimes we support now have not much better authorities than those supported by USA :88)

My humanist's part tells it would be better if all peoples live together in peace :yep: But i'm also happen to be a big county's citizen and patriot and this part of mine understands that each country has it's interests and so it was and so it would be.

So let's be friends at least within this forum no matter what leaders of our countries do or think. Hope this will help to change our world into more amiable place :D

Best Regards

The Avon Lady
08-22-07, 04:16 AM
So let's be friends at least within this forum no matter what leaders of our countries do or think. Hope this will help to change our world into more amiable place :D
I have so much I'd like to reply to your military and political analysis above but I'm short on time today.

However, I always have time to say hi to friends. I had no reason to assume of you otherwise. :up: :rock:

XabbaRus
08-22-07, 07:20 AM
I don't see the big deal. It was flying towards the UK but was still in international airspace. The Russians now have the money to do it? You think the US and UK stopped doing recon flights near Russian airspace?

Personally I think it is a deal with the Russians to make the Typhoon look good to the public and ensure Tranche 3 gets procured and all others upgraded.

Tchocky
08-22-07, 07:23 AM
I prefer the public-education angle myself :)

I'm expecting a "New Cold War" piece in the papers about this...

geetrue
08-22-07, 07:45 AM
ICBM missiles also fly through international air space on the way to there intended targets ... :o

So you think the radarman should just shrug it off?

What about his superior's?

If you want your enemy to take you serious ... you take him serious. :yep:

TLAM Strike
08-22-07, 01:34 PM
A 70 million $ brand new fighter jet is needed to intercept a 10 million $ 50 year old bomber. :doh:

Any see the logic to this? :hmm:

Maybe the UK should have kept a few Lightining F.8 or F-4 Phantoms in the RAF incase the Russians decided to come out a play again. :yep: :lol:

STEED
08-22-07, 01:51 PM
Help we all going to die..........STEED takes cover in his bunker, crud it happen last week. :damn:

Panic over. :yep:

Bloody Sky News trying to :eek: us all, more like a slow news day toss up with that story or some other crass story. ;)

SkyNews :down: :p

XabbaRus
08-22-07, 03:16 PM
What I meant when I said I didn't see what the big deal was all the press coverage.
Sure if it is coming intercept but I think all it is is Russia showing she can afford to do recon flights. I'm sure we never stopped.

Thing is the Russians have the Tu-160 which is an altogether different kettle of fish.

STEED
08-22-07, 03:45 PM
Thing is the Russians have the Tu-160 which is an altogether different kettle of fish.

Blackjack. ;)

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/tu160/

Sea Demon
08-22-07, 04:22 PM
Yes. The Tu-160 is a deadly aircraft. Thank heavens Russia doesn't have many of them. I think 24, and not all in flying order. Of course, they don't need many. The B-1 is basically it's equivalent and we have more B-1's with cruise missiles (nuclear warhead equipped), then they can muster. Plus we've got B-2's and B-52's which gives us the quantitative and qualitative edge over these few Russian bombers. My only thought is why there is not more of an outcry from any global peacenik organizations screaming about the destabilizing effects Russia may be bringing with these flights. They may not be viewed by the Pentagon and the UK's Defence Ministry as threatening, but they aren't exactly friendly flying exhibitions.

geetrue
08-22-07, 06:38 PM
They have also equipped the B-1's to drop mines now ...

Can't you just see an Admiral telling an Airforce General what to do and where to do it?

Oberon
09-06-07, 08:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6981541.stm

How long before they start putting tourist flights up.

"Come see the Cold War bombers!" :lol: