PDA

View Full Version : Checking BSOD dumps

Syxx_Killer
08-21-07, 09:42 AM
I reinstalled Windows (XP Pro with SP2) about a little over a week ago (also formatted HD). I was getting random BSODs and thought reinstalling Windows would help. Since then, I have got two BSODs, which gives me a sore stomach. Both have been IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL messages. I found an article on MS's Knowledge Base called: How to gather information after a memory dump in Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314084/en-us

I was led there after clicking the link in Event Viewer for more info at the Help & Support Center. This is the message that was entered into the Event Viewer a few mintues ago after the BSOD:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x0000000c, 0x000000ff, 0x00000000, 0x8053196a). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082107-01.dmp.

This is the one that was entered back on the 18th.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8051e106). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini081807-01.dmp.

I've got the dump files, but is there a way I can check them for a reason why I am getting the BSOD? I tried the Dumpchk.exe thing stated in that article above, and it either doesn't work or I am doing it wrong. I bring up the CMD prompt and type in what the article says to and I get an error:

Loading dump file memory.dmp
**** DebugClient cannot open DumpFile - error 80070002

I also get an error if I replace the Memory.dmp above with the file name of the dmp file in the Windows folder.

Spoon 11th
08-21-07, 10:42 AM
run Memtest86+

danlisa
08-21-07, 11:08 AM
More times than not, this error message is caused by either a faulty/unseated RAM chip or similary a faulty/unseated AGP card (usually a GFX card).

As suggested, run a memtest and/or reseat the items I mentioned.

If that fails, have a look on your mobo for any popped/raised capicitors. Not good news.:nope:

In the unlikely event that you havent checked google - HERE (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=hoq&q=IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL&btnG=Search&meta=)

Syxx_Killer
08-21-07, 12:44 PM
Something becoming loose and unseated could be a real possibility. My computer sits on the desk and I am always bumping my knee into the desk thus jostling the computer in the process.

Edit:

I checked the video card and memory. The video card seems snug in its spot (PCI-Ex). The memory, too. I took the memory out, though, and checked them. The connectors looked ok and I blew the little dust off them that had accrued on the outside. I placed them back in.

How long does a memory test take? If I use a floppy, will that slow things down?

fatty
08-21-07, 02:32 PM
Memtest should be left to run overnight.

It may be worth mentioning that last year I encountered the same BSOD. My stop errors might have been different but whatever. I formatted, disabled hardware components, changed drivers, and was at the end of my rope until on a whim I increased my memory voltage to the next higher setting through the BIOS. I don't remember the exact procedure but can check if you want. At any rate, since doing that I have not gotten any BSODs of any sort. If I lower it again they start up some more. It's pretty decent OCZ ram with heat spreaders so I don't think I'm doing any damage with the extra juice.

I have noticed some bulging capacitors on my motherboard and predict that it will die someday soon, but... ignorance is bliss.

Syxx_Killer
08-21-07, 02:43 PM
My memory is Crucial Ballistix memory (PC3200). I built the computer in March 2005. My first random BSOD was back in December sometime. I don't remember what the reason was. The IRQL BSOD is the only kind I have gotten so far since reinstalling Windows. Before that, I got random BSODs with other causes (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL one of them). That's why I am so puzzled and frustrated.

fatty
08-21-07, 02:47 PM
My memory is Crucial Ballistix memory (PC3200). I built the computer in March 2005. My first random BSOD was back in December sometime. I don't remember what the reason was. The IRQL BSOD is the only kind I have gotten so far since reinstalling Windows. Before that, I got random BSODs with other causes (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL one of them). That's why I am so puzzled and frustrated.

I hear you. My memory is PC2700. The IRQL errors just started randomly one day for me, no hardware or software changes. Very frustrating stuff.

Syxx_Killer
08-21-07, 02:50 PM
Could voltage be a part of it? Here is what the volatges read with Abit's uGuru utility. My motherboard is an Abit Fatal1ty AN8.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/Syxx_Killer/AbitU-Guru.jpg

fatty
08-21-07, 09:27 PM
The DDRVDD value there was originally 2.60 when my problems started. Bumping it to 2.70 made everything all better. I have no idea if this is a good long-term solution or if it is safe, but it made my computer usable again. Might be worth a crack if you run out of options.