PDA

View Full Version : FPS reports!

Capt. windh
08-21-07, 07:39 AM
Looking forward to invest in this sim, but I still have a semi-old system. AMD Sempron 2.0GHz Radeon 9600 Pro and 712M RAM...

How would it work on my current sys?

Looking forward to update it this fall (a totally new one...) Too bad I wrecked one side of my car in a parking house two weeks ago... :damn:

FooFighters
08-21-07, 07:44 AM
Looking forward to invest in this sim, but I still have a semi-old system. AMD Sempron 2.0GHz Radeon 9600 Pro and 712M RAM...

Looking forward to update it this fall (a totally new one...) Too bad I wrecked one side of my car in a parking house two weeks ago... :damn:

To be honest.. I think you will watch a slideshow with your system.
It's just to slow

ReallyDedPoet
08-21-07, 07:45 AM
Have a look here:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107783

By the looks of things you may be fairly hard pressed to run the game. SH4 is a system hog for sure.

RDP

AVGWarhawk
08-21-07, 07:46 AM
You are at the lower end of the spectrum to run this game. This game is a serious resource/power monster. Currently I run the game with this set up:

AMD 3200+ (runs at 2.2)
2 gig DDR ram
Visiontek Radeon X1300 XGE 512mb card
onboard sound

I get 15-25 FPS(on the bridge) with most sliders to full and most boxes check (eye candy). While these FPS readings are fine for me and the game plays great, most like to have the FPS up in the 60's.

TDK1044
08-21-07, 07:50 AM

You're below minimum specs with the RAM, and your video card won't handle SH4 at all well. Even on low graphical settings the game will crawl. Wait until you get your new system.

Capt. windh
08-21-07, 09:31 AM
Ok, thanx for your input! (Yeah I´m a Flight-sim guy and FPS concerns me much)

SteamWake
08-21-07, 10:11 AM

You're below minimum specs with the RAM, and your video card won't handle SH4 at all well. Even on low graphical settings the game will crawl. Wait until you get your new system.

Matter of fact Im not sure that that particular vid card will run SH4 at all ! Something about pixel shaders.

MobyGrape
08-21-07, 11:23 AM
You could most likely run sh3..I think?

ReDRuM71
08-21-07, 11:39 AM
I think even SH3 will be hard pressed to run on that system. It def wont with mods like GWX or RUB

cali03boss
08-21-07, 12:38 PM
seriously need an upgrade man.

And this is a random side comment....I don't know who said your eyes cannot see a difference between 30fps and 70fps....but I watched it drop to 30 yesterday with 4 smoke plums and wow..major difference.

AVGWarhawk
08-21-07, 12:54 PM
seriously need an upgrade man.

And this is a random side comment....I don't know who said your eyes cannot see a difference between 30fps and 70fps....but I watched it drop to 30 yesterday with 4 smoke plums and wow..major difference.

I do not detect a difference in this game between 15FPS to infinity concerning FPS. My game runs between 15-25 on the bridge. No issues for me and looks smooth. Action is smooth. From what I gather, everyone is a bit different on how the brain processes visuals in motion.

macky
08-21-07, 01:03 PM
i had to change my 9600 for a geogorce. It will run it...but it crawls. I have a geoforce 7600 now and with 1.5gb ram its runs ok. My cpu is a P4 3g

cali03boss
08-21-07, 01:06 PM
secret to running SH4: multi core processor.

The multi threaded aspects of SH4 are the main reason it runs slow. Taking too much time to process information before sending it to the video card...which then has to process it again. I'm no computer whiz, but I noticed an immediate change with a new processor and no other changes.

....heck Half Life 2 said it wouldn't run on my multi-core processor since it had a low Ghz (2.333)...but since its quad core it is irrelivant.

ReallyDedPoet
08-21-07, 02:23 PM
i had to change my 9600 for a geogorce. It will run it...but it crawls. I have a geoforce 7600 now and with 1.5gb ram its runs ok. My cpu is a P4 3g
Have a Pentium D 3.2 with the same VC ^^^, 2 gigs of ram, get 35-45fps on the bridge, etc.
Runs smooth, this is with all settings maxed out, except V. Fog.

RDP

switch.dota
08-21-07, 02:33 PM
Well that system will be stressed out for sure but you WILL be able to play the game smoothly if you give up most of the eye candy.

A less potent rig than the one posted will run SH3 without ANY issues, hands down. SH4, just move those detail sliders left and uncheck the left-side checkboxes. There.

SteamWake
08-21-07, 03:36 PM
secret to running SH4: multi core processor.

The multi threaded aspects of SH4 are the main reason it runs slow. Taking too much time to process information before sending it to the video card...which then has to process it again. I'm no computer whiz, but I noticed an immediate change with a new processor and no other changes.

....heck Half Life 2 said it wouldn't run on my multi-core processor since it had a low Ghz (2.333)...but since its quad core it is irrelivant.

What ???

It was my understanding that SH4 did not make use of multi core threading.

cali03boss
08-21-07, 04:29 PM
really? I was told the exact opposite by my computer guru.

I don't think he is wrong though, because I went from a 3.2 ghz AMD to a 2.33 ghz quad core and it runs bitchin fast.

AVGWarhawk
08-21-07, 06:00 PM
I'm thinking SW is correct. Upon release, many with dual cores were having some issues. I believe they had to assign one core only to the game to prevent studdering. The other core was assigned to other background programs.

Lancey
08-21-07, 07:22 PM
My fps are usually around 60 or above, have had them up to 160/190.
My question is when I use the navigation map and accelerate time the fps drops from 60 to 5 fps for about 10 to 30 seconds.
This only happens once or twice during my missions and only when I'm in the navigation map scene. Is there a way to stop this, If I adjust my AA or AF on my video card will this help, I noticed in other forum topics that some members set their AA/AF to 2X or 4X on their video card to produce better game play, will this help if how do I do this?

My computer Specs:
CPU: AMD 64x2 5200+
MOBO: Asus mv2
RAM: 3 gig ddr2 6700
VIDEO: GeForce 7600GT 256mb gddr3
HDD: 250gig SataII
Op SYSTEM: Window vista home premium 32bit

cali03boss
08-21-07, 07:55 PM
I'm thinking SW is correct. Upon release, many with dual cores were having some issues. I believe they had to assign one core only to the game to prevent studdering. The other core was assigned to other background programs.

Must be a fluke on my part then. Cuz everything got better with a new processor.

AkbarGulag
08-22-07, 04:15 AM
Well that system will be stressed out for sure but you WILL be able to play the game smoothly if you give up most of the eye candy.

A less potent rig than the one posted will run SH3 without ANY issues, hands down. SH4, just move those detail sliders left and uncheck the left-side checkboxes. There.

I'm thinking it will run as posted above. The Radeon 9600 is supported by the product. 768 RAM will be the clincher... pretty tight. But you have enough processing capacity with that 2gig IMO. Be prepared for slow down when running time compression and let your OS increase its paging file when it see's fit.

I run a single core AGP board with a 9800XT Radeon, and with most the candy on, its running 25fps solid at 1280*960 when in external view. Over 35fps when underwater and max frames inside the Sub.

Option 2: listen to people with better machines and get a better rig :rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
08-22-07, 06:04 AM

Must be a fluke on my part then. Cuz everything got better with a new processor.

Probably not a fluk really. I have run into things of this nature after installing a new part and such. For example, my machine claimed to have PC2700 ram when I purchased it. When I opened the case it was PC3200 yet my computer in the bios was reading it as PC2700 and making the machine run like it was PC2700. Once I changed the bios and the machine recognized it as PC3200, the machine ran faster. Crazy stuff!

cali03boss
08-22-07, 10:28 AM
Once I changed the bios and the machine recognized it as PC3200, the machine ran faster. Crazy stuff!

Someone forgot to reset the CMOS batt.......heh

Always undo that circular batt, start computer, turn it off, then put the batt back in after new parts. Need to reset everything.

AVGWarhawk
08-22-07, 12:08 PM
Once I changed the bios and the machine recognized it as PC3200, the machine ran faster. Crazy stuff!
Someone forgot to reset the CMOS batt.......heh

Always undo that circular batt, start computer, turn it off, then put the batt back in after new parts. Need to reset everything.
Well, no. It is a Emachine with the AU31 motherboard. The BIOS is worthless. The original set up recognized the factory installed RAM as PC2700 but the stick installed was PC3200. Less than a handfull of things you can changed to correct this. I found a modded BIOS to use. The original BIOS would not allow any adjustments so the PC3200 would be recognized. I flashed the BIOS with the new modded BIOS and was able to tweek a bit more. Then and only then could the mobo recognize the PC3200 RAM. Even then I can not adjust the FSB above 200 yet the board is rated at a 400 FSB...so I'm still really clipped here:cry: As far as the battery, I only pulled it when it would not boot after a few adjustments with the new BIOS.

Snuffy
08-22-07, 12:31 PM
Well, no. It is a Emachine ...

There's yer first mistake.

Everyone I know who has ever bought one of those things has trouble galore with the thing after about 6 months worth of running the system. Keep the case and maybe the power supply, trash everything else.

Don't install the Emachine licensed OS either, go buy a real version of the OS from Microsoft.

I buy all my stuff as parts from Tigerdirect and build from scratch. I've never had a problem with any home built system.

AVGWarhawk
08-22-07, 12:50 PM
Well, no. It is a Emachine ...
There's yer first mistake.

Everyone I know who has ever bought one of those things has trouble galore with the thing after about 6 months worth of running the system. Keep the case and maybe the power supply, trash everything else.

Don't install the Emachine licensed OS either, go buy a real version of the OS from Microsoft.

I buy all my stuff as parts from Tigerdirect and build from scratch. I've never had a problem with any home built system.
Well Snuffy, I have had only two Emachines. My first was an Emonster 550. My two girls still play their games on this old P3. It was a great computer. As a result of great success with this computer I went and got another. This is the one I have now. Three years old and no problems at all. In fact, my wife said to go get another and give this one to our girls. Guess what, I'm pricing another Emachine. Every computer company has their nightmare stories. You will always hear the bad news and never the good on most things in life.

Capt. windh
08-24-07, 01:42 AM
You could most likely run sh3..I think?

SH3 works just fine, graphics at max.

Capt. windh
08-24-07, 01:50 AM

Ok.. well I´ll still be buying a killer rig this fall.

Any hints for a good sys?

Bathrone
08-24-07, 06:49 AM
Penryn, X38, G92, DDR3