PDA

View Full Version : Kegetys' DLL

paul7271
08-19-07, 02:00 PM
Have any of you folks used kegetys'dll for display resolution changes?
If so does it make a noticable difference, and is it o.k to use it
with GWX and SHCOMMANDER? Found at SHIII Comunity Manual site.
Thanks all,

Friedl9te
08-19-07, 02:29 PM
Yes i did and it is quite simple to use.
Look here, sorry it is in German -> http://www.9teuflottille.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6003

Zum Thema Auflösung: Silent Hunter III lässt sich "Ab Werk" nur in der Auflösung 1024x768 spielen. Es gibt im Spiel keine Einstellmöglichkeit diese zu ändern.
Allerdings ist das Spiel offensichtlich für 1280x 1024 entwickelt worden.
Es gibt allerdings eine Möglichkeit diese Auflösung doch zu nützen. Man braucht dazu das Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
DL-Link MS-ACT (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24da89e9-b581-47b0-b45e-492dd6da2971&displaylang=en)
und das Archiv dx9res10.zip. Dieses enthält Kegetys' SH3 Resolution Override DLL. DL-Link dx9res10 (http://rapidshare.com/files/18193035/dx9res10.zip)
Der Vorteil der etwa 20% besseren Auflösung sind eindeutig erkennbar. Man hat einfach mehr vom Spiel, alles ist etwas schärfer, weniger pixelig, die Schiffsmasten und Aufbauten sind besser erkennbar.
Hier die übersetzte Anleitung.
Vorraussetzungen: Das MS-Application Compatibility Toolkit ist installiert. SH III ist installiert.
d3d9.dll und d3d9.cfg befinden sich im selben Verzeichnis wie sh3.exe
In der d3d9.cfg(Ist eine Textdateu und mit dem Editor zu öffnen) sind diese beiden Zeilen genau so konfiguriert.
resX=1280
resY=1024

Los gehts !

1.Man startet den Compatibility Administrator
2.Man markiert die Zeile New Database unter der Zeile Custom database
3.Man Klickt auf das Fix Symbol
4.In der Zeile Programme to be fixed trägt man SH3 ein, bei Programme file Location trägt man den Pfad zur SH3.exe ein, das wird bei Standardinstallationen meistens C:\Programme\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\sh3.exe sein. Man klickt auf Weiter.
5.Bei Operating System Modes wählt man none und klickt auf Weiter.
6.Im Compatibility Fixes Fenster setzt man einen Haken bei DelayDllInit und klickt auf Parameters.
7.In der Zeile Command line trägt man d3d9.dll ein und klickt auf OK und dann auf Weiter und im nächsten Fenster gleich auf Fertig stellen.
8.Man Klickt auf das Save Symbol und wählt als Database Name SH3, das bestätigt man im nächsten Fenster nocheinmal und es wird die Datei sh3.sdb im SilentHunterIII Verzeichnis abgespeichert.
9. Im Menü File wählt man nun noch die Option Install und bekommt die Meldung The database SH3 was successfully installed und Klickt auf OK.
10. Man schließt den Compatibility Administrator und wenn alles geklappt hat kann man ab nun SHIII in 1280x1024 genießen.

Nebenwirkung: Die tasten F9 F10 F11 funktionieren nicht mehr. Dafür bringt die dll eine eigene Screenschotfunktionalität mit. Man kann in der d3d9.cfg die beiden folgenden Zeilen z.B. so editieren.
enableScreenshots=1
screenshotPath=C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\User\Desktop\Screenshots

Wenn es nun einen Screenshot Ordner auf dem Desktop gibt werden dort die Screenshots als TGA abgespeichert. Ausgeführt wird der Screenshot mit der PrintScreen Taste was ich für ser viel logischer halte als die Strg+F11 Kombination.

paul7271
08-19-07, 02:41 PM
DANKA,

danlisa
08-19-07, 03:06 PM
While I'm sure the above works, I have always used this:

http://files.filefront.com/SH3+XPSP2+Res+Fix+for+14bzip/;7588690;;/fileinfo.html

Once downloaded and copied into your SH3 program directory it's the easiest version to use and comes with an uninstaller. All you need do is change the resolution in the cfg file.

If your GFX card & CPU can handle it, increasing the rez makes a huge difference.:up:

IrischKapitan
08-20-07, 05:01 AM
No screenies though. :down:

JScones
08-20-07, 05:18 AM
While I'm sure the above works, I have always used this:

http://files.filefront.com/SH3+XPSP2+Res+Fix+for+14bzip/;7588690;;/fileinfo.html

Once downloaded and copied into your SH3 program directory it's the easiest version to use and comes with an uninstaller. All you need do is change the resolution in the cfg file.
So, this works under XP SP2? And it ain't the PITA compatibility wizard fix method that's well posted? In other words, this is as easy as the original was for non-SP2 users?

Friedl9te
08-20-07, 05:25 AM
No screenies though. :down:

Thats not true at all.

Nebenwirkung: Die Tasten F9 F10 F11 funktionieren nicht mehr. Dafür bringt die dll eine eigene Screenshotfunktionalität mit. Man kann in der d3d9.cfg die beiden folgenden Zeilen z.B. so editieren.

enableScreenshots=1

Translation:

F9 F10 and F11 do not work any more, but you can edit d3d9.cfg which is in fact a textfile.

enableScreenshots=1

Create a folder "Screenshots" on the Desktop and every time hitting the "printscreen" key you will find a new screenshot in your screenshot folder.

Thats it, quite easy.

danlisa
08-20-07, 05:27 AM
@ JScones

Yes, very simple to use & no need for the App Com tool. Also, if you need to test different resolutions, all you need do is Alt+Tab from game and make the adjustments in the cfg, then go back into game and the changes take straight away.

@ IrischKapitan

You need to add your own save destination for the screenies. IIRC, open the d3d9.cfg file and look for the screenshots=. line. Just add your own folder destination.

EDIT - Beaten to it.:up:

Friedl9te
08-20-07, 05:32 AM
@Jscones

The same method as well described and posted but the necessaray files are created on another mashine therefore there is no need for the MS-ACT.

IrischKapitan
08-20-07, 07:52 AM
Thanks all, no more 1024x768 on a 21in widescreen moniter!

Captain Nemo
08-20-07, 10:04 AM
If your GFX card & CPU can handle it, increasing the rez makes a huge difference.:up:

I know this depends on many variables, but what effect on framerates would cranking the games resolution up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 have? I currently get around 30-40fps at sea but get a slight stutter in port. I have a 3GHz P4 and a Radeon x300se (128MB) graphics card (not the best I know) and 1GHz ram.

Nemo

danlisa
08-20-07, 10:17 AM
Your card will struggle a little. If you have any AA/AF forced through the GFX Control panel you can afford to reduce it a bit as by default a higher rez will decrease 'jaggies'.

Generally speaking though I experienced better FPS performance after I put SH3 to my native desktop resolution. This actually holds true for many games (I'm not sure why).

I think SH3 will automatically correct the resolution to 1280 x 960. Stoopid fixed aspect.

Captain Nemo
08-20-07, 10:26 AM
I think SH3 will automatically correct the resolution to 1280 x 960. Stoopid fixed aspect.

Danlisa, thanks for the reply. Can you clarify your last statement though, are you saying that if I set the resolution at 1280x1024 what I'll actually get is 1280x960? BTW I let the application decide the AA/AF settings.

Thanks.

Nemo

danlisa
08-20-07, 10:34 AM
Well, IIRC, when I last made the rez 1280 x 1024, played the game, exited and then re-checked the d3d9.cfg, I could swear it was back to 1280 x 960. It's not too noticable in game & is unfixable with an ATI card. nVidia users can change the aspect ratio through their GFX control panel.

Best way to test is to change the rez and then load the Training Missions. They load quick and you'll get a good idea about FPS.

Captain Nemo
08-20-07, 10:37 AM
OK, cheers.

Nemo