PDA

View Full Version : To bin or not to bin

STEED
08-17-07, 03:40 PM
This one made me laugh and why? I believe starting next year every home with be getting a wheelie bins. I suggest to Portsmouth council and any other council in the same position stop wasting money and get your dustcart's updated, well as we all know this is a fact they will wast money on a reports first, oh dear.

Householders told NOT to put rubbish in dustbins - because binmen might hurt their backs lifting them (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=476001&in_page_id=1770)

Camaero
08-18-07, 03:29 AM
You Brits can be very strange sometimes. :know:

Kapitan
08-18-07, 03:33 AM
Same in our council the only wheelie bin collection we acctually have is for green waste on a set lorry, not all of our lorries have bin lifts and we are a bag collection counci.

Bag work is easier than bin work but what makes it so stupid is if you have a full wheelie bin route then they should make 100% sure that the lorry is capible of doing the work its silly but its not the residents fault its the neglegence of the council they should have sent a lorry with a bin lift out so any claim should be made against the council for not supplying the proper equipment.

Also as a rule here on my council we will not collect wheelie bins unless the person is disabled, if its in a bin we will not get it out its left regardless.

STEED
08-18-07, 09:12 AM
its not the residents fault its the neglegence of the council

Correct Kapitan, as you and I know and hopefully the rest of the U.K guys here know the council we always pass the buck and claim it's to expensive, they want to remember that the next time they agree to a fat pay rise and wast a vast sum of money on something.

Weigh-Man
08-18-07, 12:42 PM
It seems strange then that in my area the council have now supplied us with the following -

1 Standard Grey Wheelie Bin
1 Recycling Green Wheelie Bin
1 Plastic Box for Cans/Bottles
and a Sack for paper and newspaper

What's that going to do to the 'poor' dustmen

AntEater
08-18-07, 12:44 PM
Three wheelies here, organic, plastic, paper.

But from the title I thought this was about Bin Laden
:damn:

Kapitan
08-18-07, 12:53 PM
My councils recycling consists of

black sacks general refuse
Pink sacks mixed recycling (paper cans card plastics all together)
White corn starch sacks green waste

And in only two areas green bins for garden waste.

bigboywooly
08-18-07, 01:15 PM
Well our fortnightly collections started end of July
One wheelie bin per household
Ummm except no wheelie bins being delivered till around Feb :damn:

2 Orange boxes
1 for card\paper and one for tins\glass

Clear plastic sack for plastic bottles ( at a cost of 20p each )

They will also take garden waste in green sacks
We can now use our own - before we had to buy from council at a £1 each

Tis daylight robbery I tells ya

Gets any worse and I may as well take it down the tip for the b***ards as well

Jimbuna
08-18-07, 04:32 PM
Where's that ? :hmm:

Elland Road :rotfl:

STEED
08-18-07, 04:34 PM
I got one green box for paper and card and one tough carrier bag for garden wast, the bin men come around once a week for the house hold rubbish only in black bin bags but I hear they are to change to light Orange colour. As for the recycling they are picked up by some one else green box one week then the garden stuff and back to the green box.

In the past my council farted around with a load of boxes and cutting the bin service to once a fortnight but people power sorted them out. ;)

Jimbuna
08-18-07, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a load of old rubbish to me ;)

lesrae
08-19-07, 04:21 AM
Sounds like a load of old rubbish to me ;)

Ka-boom-tish :D

We've had the fortnightly wheelie bin collections and weekly recycling collections here for about 18 months now. It works fine for us, compostable rubbish into a brown sealed box collected weekly, general recycling (paper, metal, glass) in a black box collected weekly and everything else in the wheelie bin collected fortnightly.

The main complaint seems to be about smells/rats etc, but if you use the system properly there's no need for that - it's people who leave food waste in the bin for 2 weeks that have the problem. Also, the people who dump food waste straight into the composting box and never clean it out - disgusting in my opinion. We buy the compostable plastic liner bags, working out at 10p a week or so, and rinse the thing out every week.

Jimbuna
08-19-07, 05:41 AM
Okay, the serious version:.................I suppose we are a little luckier than some, we have a weekly wheelie bin collection. We also have a fortnightly green wheelie bin collection for compostables as well as a black box for recyclabes (the box is devoid of a lid and therefore open to the elements) so if it's put out too early you can imagine the resultant outcome :nope:

bigboywooly
08-19-07, 07:30 AM
Ah well see we dont have a compostables collection
Garden waste is garden waste - not food
Card and paper are seperate - again not food
So food waste goes in the general waste which is once a fortnight
:nope:

Lucky we have had a ****e summer

Kapitan
08-19-07, 08:03 AM
Wow some of you guys have it bad our general rubbish is weekly and thats put into black sacks now we do acctually deliver black and pink sacks free of charge to houses all around basildon, but a role of black sacks on the market or in a ship is only £1 so not forking out too much.

You can get the pink sacks for recycling at a libray or any council place again free of charge can have upto 5 roles of sacks (a roll will last a good 2 weeks maybe more depends i know a role lasts my family of 4 3 weeks and we are heavy recyclers)

The only ones we have to pay for is garden waste sacks which are white cornstarch they bio degrade, the cost £1 a roll again you wont go through them like water unless you have a huge garden, but come next year it will all be wheelie bins which again are distributed free of charge, and in the collection we do take certain food waste.

STEED
08-19-07, 12:06 PM
Has anyone had a council inspector come round going though your rubbish and making notes on his or hers clipboard yet?

Kapitan
08-19-07, 12:36 PM
Regularly we also have a team of enforcement officers when we the loaders find the bag we have to report it to the driver and the driver will radio the supervision who will re route the enforecement officer and he will dish out the fine of £100 per bag there and then, failure to pay results in going to court and thats happend now 3 times.

All our lorries and enforcement team have radios to keep in contact.

TLAM Strike
08-19-07, 01:06 PM
Why not just get the type of Garbage truck that lift the bins up and dump the garbage in to the box like we have over here? :hmm:

Oh right that would make sense and cause many positions in the goverment to be unessary... :roll:

Jimbuna
08-19-07, 01:56 PM
Has anyone had a council inspector come round going though your rubbish and making notes on his or hers clipboard yet?

Not exactly....but I've been called to prevent one (inspector) receiving a good hiding for being nosey :lol:

Kapitan
08-19-07, 02:01 PM
Our enforcement officers are always backed up by the dustmen so if one of them calls charlie charlie on what ever road we are expected to arrive there within 5 minuets of the call to give them back up

hasnt led to a fight yet but note the yet.

Jimbuna
08-19-07, 02:09 PM
Our enforcement officers are always backed up by the dustmen so if one of them calls charlie charlie on what ever road we are expected to arrive there within 5 minuets of the call to give them back up

hasnt led to a fight yet but note the yet.

Then the employees of the Council run the risk of being the recipient of a malicious complaint, at best, or even being arrested on suspicion of a section 47 assault on a member of the public.
Interesting times ahead ;)

Kapitan
08-19-07, 03:01 PM
Its the idea of saftey in numbers the enforcement officers travel around in pairs if they ever need the back up its there basically we are there to just make it look good ie we stand there they talk we watch then nothing will happen.

Thats the theory.

bigboywooly
08-19-07, 03:42 PM
Nice to see my council tax increases being wisely spent :roll:

The Munster
08-19-07, 04:17 PM
Its the idea of saftey in numbers the enforcement officers travel around in pairs if they ever need the back up its there basically we are there to just make it look good ie we stand there they talk we watch then nothing will happen.

Thats the theory.

What happens to the bin route whilst all this is happening ? Do you go back to it and claim overtime ?

STEED
08-19-07, 04:36 PM
Nice to see my council tax increases being wisely spent :roll:

Cynic. :lol:

STEED
08-19-07, 05:06 PM
We got council snoops in the area and they are a bunch of shifty:shifty: folks, I have heard they snoop about in the bins late at night. :stare: If they do that to my bin well I would..............:roll:

Jimbuna
08-19-07, 06:12 PM
We got council snoops in the area and they are a bunch of shifty:shifty: folks, I have heard they snoop about in the bins late at night. :stare: If they do that to my bin well I would..............:roll:

Well now we know where to empty the evenings contents of the final toilet visit into :lol:

Kapitan
08-20-07, 08:48 AM
The bin men here are paid till 4pm in reality even if you had the worst ever day your route will be compleated by 2:30 latest, my average day is 1pm finnish its job n knock.

Also if the route is off route for an hour we get help, 2+ hours every route has to help finnish it even with that again 2:30 finnish.

also to stop your council snooping on your rubbish late at night which they do do, put your bin and your bags by the front doorand when you leave in the morning for work then put them out, if those bags have been tamperd with then you make a full complaint of tresspass against the council (which you can do)

If you got bins then brown parcel tap from the lid over the bin lip to the other side it means then you cant open the lid without taking the tape off or breaking it again you know its been tamperd with.

STEED
08-20-07, 11:20 AM
to stop your council snooping on your rubbish late at night which they do do, put your bin and your bags by the front doorand when you leave in the morning for work then put them out, if those bags have been tamperd with then you make a full complaint of tresspass against the council (which you can do)

If you got bins then brown parcel tap from the lid over the bin lip to the other side it means then you cant open the lid without taking the tape off or breaking it again you know its been tamperd with.

Interesting idea there Kap. :hmm: House of Lords here I come, no point with the run of the mill courts may as well go for the big time number one top court in the land. Just one thing I wonder if they will here my case if my council poked about in my rubbish. ;)

STEED
08-20-07, 11:21 AM

Well now we know where to empty the evenings contents of the final toilet visit into :lol:

Come on jim, I got some standards please. :lol:

Jimbuna
08-20-07, 11:30 AM
I think I'd just as soon get a Rottweiler and kennel it right next to the bins....trouble with England and Wales is, trespass ain't a criminal offence, certainly no power of arrest :nope:

Them snoops must be as popular as traffic wardens and.....*cough* policemen :cry:

Tchocky
08-20-07, 01:13 PM
We got council snoops in the area and they are a bunch of shifty:shifty: folks, I have heard they snoop about in the bins late at night. :stare: If they do that to my bin well I would..............:roll:Think carefully dude, these people poke through bins. You don't want to get very close to them :)

STEED
08-20-07, 01:29 PM
I don't intend to touch them. ;) :lol:

Jimbuna
08-20-07, 01:46 PM
So if they suffer a needlestick injury or some other disease as a consequence of their actions, who do they blame ? :hmm:

Kapitan
08-20-07, 02:58 PM
well if they were on your property then they cannot claim a penny if it was outside your property they claim off of the councils liability insurance, but you are pre warned to hap HEP B tetnus and other jabs before you start work.

The Munster
08-20-07, 04:34 PM
trouble with England and Wales is, trespass ain't a criminal offence, certainly no power of arrest :nope:

No trespass law in Scotland either [at least there wasn't when I left].
Bit off topic but anyone encountered a 'smoking prohibition officer' in England yet ?
This job was created when the new smoking laws came out in Scotland last year.

Jimbuna
08-20-07, 05:06 PM
trouble with England and Wales is, trespass ain't a criminal offence, certainly no power of arrest :nope:

Bit off topic but anyone encountered a 'smoking prohibition officer' in England yet ?

Could tell ya a few stories about them, getting chased out of pubs by drunken madmen and you know who sitting in a ****** car across the street having a quick drag before the 7 minute response time is up :lol: .... (a shouldn't really) :oops:

The Munster
08-21-07, 01:54 AM

Could tell ya a few stories about them, getting chased out of pubs by drunken madmen and you know who sitting in a ****** car across the street having a quick drag before the 7 minute response time is up :lol: .... (a shouldn't really) :oops:

:rotfl:
Can just imagine the scenario
:rotfl:

Kapitan
08-21-07, 08:11 AM
council tax is a con 10% of it goes back to the government only a megre 5% is acctually spent on refuse services, the rest is on roads and services.

STEED
08-21-07, 10:51 AM
Today I made some inquiry's in too two problems a blasted hooting pigeon and a wasps nest and you know what my council said, indeed sir we can deal with both problems the pigeon problem we cost £40 a day and the wasps nest £95 to wipe them out and seal up the hole in the wall. Pardon me!!! what are council taxes for then? Sorry sir you have to pay the charge, it's bad enough they charge you £50 to get rid of white goods and bed mattress but this really is taking the....................

Time for a revolution people. :yep:

Kapitan
08-21-07, 10:58 AM
You pay to have specials like matresses and furniture carpet and what not taken away? sheesh our council does it for free.

STEED
08-21-07, 11:11 AM
You pay to have specials like matresses and furniture carpet and what not taken away? sheesh our council does it for free.

Yep got to pay up front and fill out a form and wait three to four weeks and now I find out they charge for pest control. :damn:

Jimbuna
08-21-07, 11:21 AM

Yep got to pay up front and fill out a form and wait three to four weeks and now I find out they charge for pest control. :damn:

What area of the UK you from STEED ? :hmm:

Some areas near me are probably unique....the bin men deliver :lol:

Tchocky
08-21-07, 11:49 AM
What area of the UK you from STEED ? :hmm: Somewhere around Essex I believe :lol:
http://russelldavies.typepad.com/planning/images/secret_nuclear_bunker-thumb.jpg

STEED
08-21-07, 12:05 PM
Herts :arrgh!:

Kapitan
08-21-07, 12:13 PM
Not too far from me then, that and i live in essex that bunker is only 40 mins from me if that.

Jimbuna
08-21-07, 12:49 PM
It don't look too secret to me :lol:

STEED
08-22-07, 07:08 AM
I am ready for WW3 bring it on as I sit back in my bunker, hang on. Who is going to take my rubbish away if the council has gone up in smoke. :hmm:

Tchocky
08-22-07, 07:09 AM
And then, a man in a Herts bunker realised that nuclear holocaust may not be such a good idea after all

:arrgh!:

STEED
08-22-07, 07:13 AM
And then, a man in a Herts bunker realised that nuclear holocaust may not be such a good idea after all

To bloody right, who is going to clear the mess up?

Jimbuna
08-22-07, 07:37 AM

To bloody right, who is going to clear the mess up?

The winners :hmm:

STEED
08-22-07, 12:15 PM
Back on topic we are to rec'd the new bin bag, as I said light orange colour but there is a problem. They will only collect rubbish in the new bag and our dustmen are sloppy when it comes to handing them out. I bet, I will not be the only one too have words with the council when we have no bags.

Jimbuna
08-22-07, 04:19 PM
This thread still sounds like a load of rubbish to me :lol:

STEED
08-23-07, 05:57 AM
Anyone see the news item, rubbish charging could be a fact. :huh:

Jimbuna
08-23-07, 06:18 AM
It won't bother me too much, I might soon be a pensioner....so I'll get a rduction :p