PDA

View Full Version : DEVS, When is WWII officially over in SH4?

Elder-Pirate
08-16-07, 04:56 PM
The search engine here is for the birds and seems to only know ONE word at a time so how about it SH4 Devs can you please tell us the cut off date in SH4 ?

SH3 there was a definite cut off date ( War over ) no matter what date you started your career from but I fail to see a cut off date in the SH4 Manual or the SH4 readmes ( 1,2 & 3 ).

I know that in real life Aug 14th 1945 it was "Unconditional Surrender of Japanese forces" and the next day Aug 15th was VJ Day or Victory over Japan.

I can't believe people playing SH4 are running around the Pacific in 1946/1947 trying to find Japanese ships that have already surrendered and are no longer the enemy. :huh: As with SH3, what would be the point ?

Good ole SH4 manual lacked many things, but it was a start.

Captain Scribb
08-16-07, 06:27 PM
I haven't gotten that late in the war yet (if I die, I start over, and haven't made it past 8 patrols/1943ish), but keep in mind with the International Dateline and all that, it was a different day in the West than it was in Japan, even though it was the same time. The Emperor surrendered in the afternoon of the 15th HIS TIME, which is the 14th in the West. Thus, the 15th, is VJ Day. We just knew about it "ahead of time", but it actually occurred on the 15th by the local time it occurred at.

Elder-Pirate
08-16-07, 08:29 PM
I haven't gotten that late in the war yet (if I die, I start over, and haven't made it past 8 patrols/1943ish), but keep in mind with the International Dateline and all that, it was a different day in the West than it was in Japan, even though it was the same time. The Emperor surrendered in the afternoon of the 15th HIS TIME, which is the 14th in the West. Thus, the 15th, is VJ Day. We just knew about it "ahead of time", but it actually occurred on the 15th by the local time it occurred at.

True on the date line but it was still 1945. I'm reading later years like 1946/1947, of course these reports may be mistaken. :hmm:

Still waiting on an official answer from a SH4 Dev. :)

Snuffy
08-16-07, 08:37 PM
My current campaign is running at Feb 1945 ... I'm getting messages from Comsubpac and the like regarding the retreating of the German forces, they no longer occupy Belguim.

The US Navy blue anchors are advancing across the Pacific. New ports have been opened in Guam and Tinian.

I'll look for the war to be ending soon. Keep ya posted.

Elder-Pirate
08-16-07, 09:01 PM
My current campaign is running at Feb 1945 ... I'm getting messages from Comsubpac and the like regarding the retreating of the German forces, they no longer occupy Belguim.

The US Navy blue anchors are advancing across the Pacific. New ports have been opened in Guam and Tinian.

I'll look for the war to be ending soon. Keep ya posted.

Thanks Snuffy. Now don't get yourself killed before the war over date. :lol:

Personally I'm in a Balao, just left Brisbane and it's Dec. 8th 1943 so I should have a year and a half yet game time ( if I don't tangle with Bungo Pete first ) which will take me another month in real life probably.

kikn79
08-17-07, 10:43 AM
August 15, 1945. The game ends (quite abruptly, I might add) and you are done.

Chuck

Captain Scribb
08-17-07, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Kikn :up:

Elder-Pirate
08-17-07, 11:39 AM

Chuck

Thank you Sir. :up: That also puts to bed the 1946/1947 SH4 riding high on the Pacific stories. :yep:

OK SH4 Devs you can go back to work now, I figured a SH4 player would beat you to the draw. :D

Powerthighs
08-17-07, 01:03 PM
I think the initial 1947 comment you are referring to was intended as exaggeration/sarcasm that was not picked up by other posters.

ReallyDedPoet
08-17-07, 01:12 PM

Chuck

Nice to get the facts :yep:

RDP

aanker
08-17-07, 02:11 PM
I received both <Bomb> messages, timed my RTB for Aug 15, and after docking went straight to the newspaper and bronze sculpture. The 50 star flag didn't make any sense until I thought that maybe - after recalling my wonderful times on the high seas - the time for those memories was after Alaska & Hawaii became states... lame ;-)

In SH I we had fireworks as we sailed past the Golden Gate bridge! - lol

Elder-Pirate
08-17-07, 07:42 PM
I think the initial 1947 comment you are referring to was intended as exaggeration/sarcasm that was not picked up by other posters.

Yeah no doubt, well I hope it's put to bed now. ;)