PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk - GWX

btaft
08-13-07, 12:26 PM
I started my career in 1939 with a type IIA and just upgraded to a VIIC. I am off to my 6th patrol and and BDU has seen fit to send me to AN87 (aka off the coast of Dunkirk) and the kicker is that I Just entered AN87 and it is June 1st 1940! Looks like I will have some work to do :D

Was this a simple random selection by BDU or does GWX try to give you patrol squares where there will be action if the time is right?

Steel_Tomb
08-13-07, 12:49 PM
AFAIK the game just issues you random grip coords to patrol depending on the time. Just like how donitz changed the u-boats hunting grounds depending on the time.

papa_smurf
08-13-07, 02:14 PM
Be very carefull around Dunkirk due to the heavy Royal Navy coverage - you have been warned!

(Or if Brag replies here - he'll tell you to do things his way i.e the suicidal way)

btaft
08-13-07, 02:22 PM
Yes....I will definitely be careful.....and I am not thrilled about the shallow waters.....but opportunities like this don't come along that often.....with my luck I will probably also have to shift my home base to france mid patrol.....giving me the choice of a channel run or going around the top....

Steel_Tomb
08-13-07, 02:33 PM
Given the choice I would always go over the top, theres a reason why people didn't go through the channel!!!

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
08-13-07, 02:35 PM
(Or if Brag replies here - he'll tell you to do things his way i.e the suicidal way)

thats more my way :arrgh!:
brag is kinda a death from below type guy like others.
im a death from the surface type :lol:. but some other ppl do that aswel. they are called "THE SUICIDE SQUAD" (bum bum buuuuum!)

@ jimbuna and tarjack: no :roll:...............:damn: this time ok

bigboywooly
08-13-07, 03:03 PM
:zzz:

TarJak
08-13-07, 03:41 PM
thats more my way :arrgh!:
brag is kinda a death from below type guy like others.
im a death from the surface type :lol:. but some other ppl do that aswel. they are called "THE SUICIDE SQUAD" (bum bum buuuuum!)

@ jimbuna and tarjack: no :roll:...............:damn: this time ok
OK.

:zzz: :nope:

S Rafty
08-13-07, 09:18 PM
Channel is death trap. I sunk a DD and have been hunted for half a day now. Slowly kreeping back up. Surfaced for a bit to make a run for it but alas it cos me two good men. *Sighs* I will never learn..But like 39 and 40, its such a target rich environment.

madmike81
08-13-07, 11:31 PM
I just happened to be at the right time frame to pop into Dunkirk for a looksee.

Holy Cripes!!!

There was a group of 6 cans doing a sweep out front of the harbor.

Plus two other groups i saw...

But the harbor was full of nice targets....very nice targets.

bookworm_020
08-13-07, 11:50 PM
Nice target they may be, but after you put a few on the bottom, you may be joining them!

ReM
08-14-07, 05:29 AM
You don't have to go to the Channel in order to reach Dunkirk...it is on the 'German' side of it....

It offers good hunting, but the place is infested with Royal Navy destroyers. The harbour offers some nice victims as well, but beware of the shallows and the dd's.

IrischKapitan
08-14-07, 06:25 AM
Be warned Dunkirk is full of mines!

btaft
08-14-07, 08:04 AM
Well I plotted a course to about 20km off the coast of Dunkirk.......dd's and patrol craft everywhere....I have only heard one merchant and haven't been able to get close. I think I might go to ablout 50 km off shore and set up a picket and wait for the convoys to make their way across the channel. I figured at least the dd support with those would be somewhat predictable. I knew things were going to be interesting when even a TC of 64 brought the PC to a crawl :D

I have been depthcharged a little but nothing close to me so far.....I am very glad it is only 1940

Lzs von swe
08-14-07, 04:23 PM

Yes, take this warning seriously. I found two minefields, lost both scopes and a lot of fuel. Pressed on the attack decks awash using the Uzo, than limped back to Kiel in an totally smashed up boat (VIIB):arrgh!:

madmike81
08-14-07, 04:25 PM
Its definately worth a try to get in there when the evac is happening though.

Lzs von swe
08-14-07, 04:35 PM
Yes, thats true:up:

Oh, and Goering's boys makes a visit too, you donīt want to be too close to the port when they drop their bombs...

ReM
08-15-07, 03:53 AM
Some screenies....I went a couple of months ago....

http://members.home.nl/rem/Dunkirk%20contacts.jpg
http://members.home.nl/rem/Dunkirk%20harbor%201.jpg

http://members.home.nl/rem/Dunkirk%20harbor%202.jpg

It is a pest to get there, but some nice juicy targets!

Tobus
08-15-07, 04:24 AM
Yes, and my hovercraft is full of eels!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

(sorry, couldn't resist).

On topic: As soon as the fish start to go boom, you'd better go for cover, which from the looks of it isn't there. Would hiding/firing from those harborpiers conceal you from prying asdic? (at least you can't be dc'ed in there).

btaft
08-15-07, 09:10 AM
I have been venturing in this area for a little bit....and I am about cerrain I could walk from Dunkirk to Dover without getting wet by walking on all the dds and patrol crafts. They have been pinging and and depth charging like crazy (luckily nothing close) and I am 20km from the harbor. There must be quite a bit of ships out there. I am not certain what would be better to keep the map contacts off or have them on. I think if I had them on my nav screen would look like one giant spirograph design. There must be quite a few out there because I can't go above TC of 4 (sometimes 2) without encountering major staggerings and I have a moderate machine that never had a problem with SH3 before

Jimbuna
08-15-07, 01:30 PM
I have been venturing in this area for a little bit....and I am about cerrain I could walk from Dunkirk to Dover without getting wet by walking on all the dds and patrol crafts. They have been pinging and and depth charging like crazy (luckily nothing close) and I am 20km from the harbor. There must be quite a bit of ships out there. I am not certain what would be better to keep the map contacts off or have them on. I think if I had them on my nav screen would look like one giant spirograph design. There must be quite a few out there because I can't go above TC of 4 (sometimes 2) without encountering major staggerings and I have a moderate machine that never had a problem with SH3 before

They're out there alright....believe me :p

Hakahura
08-15-07, 05:38 PM
Speaking from my experience of Dunkirk, at that point in time...

Your biggest worry is the Luftwaffe.

They carry out historic attacks (very heavy) on the port.

And neither know or care if there's a uboat hiding in there!

Ouch!